The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Fun With Sony Cameras

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ron Pfister

Re: Fun with the A7/7R

I am really liking the APO 180 on the A7R. This image wouldn't hold up at larger sizes due to the not-slow-enough shutter speed (i.e. motion blur), but the subject needs shallow DoF. Waiting for that variable ND filter to arrive…

Taylor Sherman

Taylor, a perfect flare test. The Elmar 135/4 seems quite susceptible...
I wouldn't be surprised, I also saw some interesting corner-of-the-frame flare from the G90. However, the Nex and A7 cameras have their own flare problems (see the ray-gun effect on the ZM50 pictures, specifically the blue-white light in the lower right of the first picture - that's internal reflections in the sensor toppings, nothing to do with the lens). So I'm not sure I can tell exactly what's lens and what's camera.

That light in the 1st 135/4 picture was super, super bright. I don't know what they needed with a light that bright shining back in this direction down at the shipyards, but they had it :)

V

Vivek

However, the Nex and A7 cameras have their own flare problems (see the ray-gun effect on the ZM50 pictures, specifically the blue-white light in the lower right of the first picture - that's internal reflections in the sensor toppings, nothing to do with the lens). So I'm not sure I can tell exactly what's lens and what's camera.
That is most ceratinly from the lens. You can see various colors (different coatings) and the shape of the iris in those flare spots.

Can you post a picture of the lens looking from the mount side?

Taylor Sherman

Vivek - I've seen this effect with 21 Super-Elmar, 28/2.8 Elmarit-M ASPH, ZM50/2, 135/4 Elmar, and possibly 28/2 Summicron-M, on the Nex-7 and the A7. I've never seen any evidence of it in pictures from those lenses on other people's M9/M240 cameras.

Also, the direction of the flare: outwards away from the center of the image. If you imagine the light falling on the sensor and internal reflections within the toppings, this is the direction they'd go.

Seeing the shape of the aperture is natural because that's the shape of the bright halo around the lights that is hitting the sensor.

Also, Sammuli over at Fred Miranda saw the exact same thing in night-time city shots with SLR lenses like the ZE35/2 or 35/1.4, he'd never seen it with the same lenses on SLR cameras.

The only common denominator is Sony sensors.

I believe the color from the "coatings" is from the sensor toppings - the colors look very similar to what I see when I look at my A7 sensor.

Taylor Sherman

Meanwhile, some pictures from the "light" part of yesterday (just after noon. . .)

Lux 80-R

21 SE-M

R80/1.4

CV180/4

CV15

jlm

Workshop Member

found this:
. Download the free Play Memories Mobile app for iOS or Android to use your smartphone or tablet to trigger the camera using Remote Control Embedded from the camera's Apps Menu. I just tested this with iPhone running iOS7 and it works nicely.

Menu > Apps Menu > Application List > Smart Remote Embedded

Go to wifi settings on you iOS or Android phone. Select the Devise shown on the camera back. Enter password shown on the camera back.

Once you see a spinning "Connecting" icon open the Play Memories app on your phone and you can now trigger the shutter from your phone and even send loRes copies of the photos to the app if you wish (originals go to card)

Ron Pfister

I wouldn't be surprised, I also saw some interesting corner-of-the-frame flare from the G90. However, the Nex and A7 cameras have their own flare problems (see the ray-gun effect on the ZM50 pictures, specifically the blue-white light in the lower right of the first picture - that's internal reflections in the sensor toppings, nothing to do with the lens). So I'm not sure I can tell exactly what's lens and what's camera.
Sorry, I should have been more clear. I was referring to veiling flare only, and I believe that's entirely due to the lens in this case, as the flare is clearly centered around the light source. But I fully agree with you that the sensor toppings can add their own contribution to the mix (see here: http://www.getdpi.com/forum/549070-post117.html), and I haven't seen this with my Nikon and Canon cameras, either.

Matt: Nice captures from your visit abroad, looks like you really enjoyed it! :salute:

And particularly very nice to see you sharing pictures again after quite a while.

For a change and particularly for those being a bit nostagic.

This one is from a Munich cinematic art theatre from the late '50s, still quite lively. A real challenge to take an apt picture of it (not only due to the lighting, ISO 6400), and of course I will have to make some more attempts.

"Munich Arthouse Cinema from the '50s"

A7R, Canon FDn 24 mm f/2.8 @ f/ 6.3, 1/100s, ISO 6400

And an encore of the further above in the colors of those times, i.e. in duotone:

"Munich Arthouse Cinema from the '50s"

A7R, Canon FDn 24 mm f/2.8 @ f/ 6.3, 1/100s, ISO 6400

Status
Not open for further replies.