The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Fun With Sony Cameras

Status
Not open for further replies.

PSon

Re: Fun with the A7/7R

To my friend you likes clouds instead of flower on trees:

Contax F-Distagon 16mm. This was the same lens many years ago when I first met Guy Mancuso on FM.

biglouis

I am not, nor do I have, any pretensions to be a portrait photographer. In fact, I shy away from photographing people because more often than not people (rather than landscapes) are disappointed with the results. Nevertheless, my next door neighbour asked me if as a favour I would take some headshots for use in her internal magazine which is going to run a feature about.

Out with the A7 and the 55/1.8. This is not the shot we chose but is an example of how the 55/1.8 can make a portrait photographer of us all. F1.8 iirc and focussed on the right (her left) eye, and without any processing other than to read the RAW file into LR5 and output a JPEG.

Not bad, eh?

PS If you look closely, you will see a single strand of hair across her chin, which I missed when I was processing. Amazing detail.

D&A

Congrats Rawfa! Truly precious and lovely and a very special time in all your lives. Savor the moments.

Dave (D&A)

D&A

Steve, as others have noted, your museum series is a wonderful collection of images. I keep revisiting them and find so many wonderful little stories I'd imagine I'd attach to each one. Nicely done.

Dave (D&A)

benroy

Subscriber Member

In my neighbor's front yard with the Nikon 80-200/4.5 MF w/A7. The bush is quite unremarkable from a distance, but close-up reveals quite an array of color. The second pic demonstrates this array of color and reveals the great sharpness of this classic lens...the tack sharp detail on the center pistil is an eye-popper.

Last edited:

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor

These are from the A7r that i shot yesterday on a day trip up to Jerome AZ with forum member Bryan Stevens. I am really starting to like this little 55mm 1.8. I shot all these handheld

Sony 55mm FE 1.8 wide open. ISO 800

Sony 55mm FE 1.8 wide open. ISO 800

Leica 19R wide open. I have many more to process later and post

biglouis

I am with Guy and his observations above. If I am going out on 'stroll photography' I am taking my 55/1.8 as the lens of choice, over my FE 35. Even though the fov is more restricted I know I am going to get a subtleness and colour draw which is worth it.

W.Utsch

One with the "New One"

Great shots from Jerome Guy, i once visited that town - good memories!

Guy Mancuso

Btw folks I threw on the vertical grip and that is very nice with handheld and it's not as big as everyone says and it's very light too.

Guy Mancuso

One with the "New One"

Great shots from Jerome Guy, i once visited that town - good memories!
Thanks and have to say it was a blast shooting yesterday. Bryan just got his A7r the other day so I set him all up with menus and such and he had a ball with it. He loved the V grip. It's on sale now at B&H see Bobs thread on Sony sale and follow his link. GetDPI gets a affiliate fee and that helps us.

Heck buy another body and get a discount on the lens 200 dollars. Get that dang 55 it's lovely and I really like the bokeh from it. It's very smooth falloff

Godfrey

Btw folks I threw on the vertical grip and that is very nice with handheld and it's not as big as everyone says and it's very light too.
I played with the grip at the store yesterday, but I haven't decided to purchase one yet. It seemed it would be useful particularly for hand-held shooting with the fat Leica R 180/2.8 lens, otherwise with 24 to 135mm lenses I don't really see a need. And that big lump is going to get used on a tripod most of the time any way, it's just too heavy for casual toting about.

Good news is that without a grip fitted, the A7 and three lens kit fits in a smallish bag, if you get the right one. I'm trying out the Think Tank Photo "Mirrorless Mover 30i" or some such.

(I know, Erwin Puts and others say the newer 180mm models are much better performers, and they're smaller and lighter. But this one performs well enough, is mint, and cost me $300 ... for the little I use such a long lens, that seems just fine... ;-)

G

Guy Mancuso

I played with the grip at the store yesterday, but I haven't decided to purchase one yet. It seemed it would be useful particularly for hand-held shooting with the fat Leica R 180/2.8 lens, otherwise with 24 to 135mm lenses I don't really see a need. And that big lump is going to get used on a tripod most of the time any way, it's just too heavy for casual toting about.

Good news is that without a grip fitted, the A7 and three lens kit fits in a smallish bag, if you get the right one. I'm trying out the Think Tank Photo "Mirrorless Mover 30i" or some such.

(I know, Erwin Puts and others say the newer 180mm models are much better performers, and they're smaller and lighter. But this one performs well enough, is mint, and cost me $300 ... for the little I use such a long lens, that seems just fine... ;-)

G
It's a pretty nice setup with the long glass and the heavy lenses that I have but more important it does add some balance. For me I think more occasional use for certain things. Right now I need it for the fashion shows no question as most of it is vertical. It's okay on a tripod but more useful handheld. Being on sale right now for 248 dollars some folks might want to try it at that price. I paid 300 and that seems a little pricey.

It's one of those things that can be very handy. Coming from FF Nikons everything seems small.

BSEH

Been looking for a nice Leica for people shooing - but try to testing the FE 55 1.8 - and maybe i better just spend my money on a nice wide instead... Will the Leica R 100 / 2.8 Macro i fall in love with serve me much better ??

Im shooting a local soccer team, and some of them guys have the X factor..IMHO - f/2 - 160 - ISO 50.. no edit

Status
Not open for further replies.