The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Fun With Sony Cameras

Status
Not open for further replies.

JMaher

Re: Fun with the Sony A7 and A7r series

From yesterday on the beach in Sarasota. This is the normally placid Gulf of Mexico. Winds up to 30PH and waves where we don't normally see waves. Add in the sand flying around and you can understand the lack of clarity.

Jim

pegelli

Re: Fun With Sony _____

The Thames Barrier Close-up

A bit further along the Thames footpath

And a view across the river

All 3 NEX6 + Summaron M 35/2.8

MikalWGrass

P, great shots.

A few from this past weekend's swim meet. The guy in the foreground in the "starting shots" swam college in the US and for the Bahamas in the last Olympics. If you look closely you can see the Olympic rings tattooed on his arm.

The last photo is of the first two finishers in one of the women's freestyle events.

All shot with the a900 and 70-200/2.8G. I think I have pretty much reached the limits of this system because: I am now getting fussier about image quality and don't like to shoot above iso 640; the camera is a bear to carry around and gets heavy by the end of the day; the camera body to lens connection is becoming dodgy and doesn't work all of the time; or all of the above.

baholymp1 by mikalgrass, on Flickr

baholymp2 by mikalgrass, on Flickr

as500 copy by mikalgrass, on Flickr

pegelli

Great shooting Mikal, I can clearly see the olympic ring tattoos. Did this guy win the race?

All shot with the a900 and 70-200/2.8G. I think I have pretty much reached the limits of this system because: I am now getting fussier about image quality and don't like to shoot above iso 640; the camera is a bear to carry around and gets heavy by the end of the day; the camera body to lens connection is becoming dodgy and doesn't work all of the time; or all of the above.
I was on a trip to London a few weeks ago and shot this in Richmond Park:

A900, ISO 1600, 1/160th handheld at 280 mm focal length, end of the day.
No matter how much I would like to justify an A99 or A7S this shot tells me it's pure uncontrolled gear lust and not based on any objective needs. :cry:

Here's a link to a whole gallery, mostly shot there with an A900, ISO between 640 and 2000, all handheld. Only a few with a NEX6 and a shorter lens for some wider views and when a very tame deer starting grazing just next to the path where we were walking. Most of them came out as good as I could have expected, and I don't think a different camera would have given me better pictures. Only a longer lens might have avoided cropping on some of the shots.

MikalWGrass

P, yes, he won the race. The guy next to him could've kept up with him had he been rested and wearing a "speed suit" like the Bahamian guy was. They swam only a 50 yard freestyle (you guys swim meters).

MikalWGrass

P, my a900 is breaking down. I run the main camera body from the extra grip / batteries because the controls on the main body really don't work anymore. It will cost me more to get it repaired than it is worth. I thought about the a77II as a second body but I don't know. Now that my other son is playing water polo the a900 will really have the crap beaten out of it. Yesterday in the late afternoon shadows I stopped shooting because it was impossible to get decent lowish iso shots of the swimmers. Finally, I have found that since the a900's tracking system is pretty useless, I just leave it on A and track the swimmers' breathing patterns. Works better for me.

BY the way, I deliberately didn't show the faces of the young women swimming the freestyle because they are young, and I don't have permission to display the face of the young woman in the lead. I will ask her parents. She is a 12 yr old phenom, and will probably be on the Olympic team for a South American country in 2016.

scho

Still waiting for this maple to drop it's leaves so I can get on with the fall cleanup.
A7R with Cambo Actus and Rodenstock APO-Grandagon 55mm f/4.5. Two shot stitch.

Michiel Schierbeek

Carl, those leaves never fall when you want it! :) I just cleaned up the garden in France after an absence of almost two month"s. Three days of mowing. I used the tractor mower as a vacuum cleaner of leaves as well. :cool:

This is the cathedral of Rouen. You know the one Monet used to paint.

pegelli

Royal Victoria DLR station

A900 + Tokina 17/3.5

Emirates cable car over the Victoria Docks and Thames

NEX5 + E10-18/4

scho

Carl, those leaves never fall when you want it! :) I just cleaned up the garden in France after an absence of almost two month"s. Three days of mowing. I used the tractor mower as a vacuum cleaner of leaves as well. :cool:

This is the cathedral of Rouen. You know the one Monet used to paint.

Yes, I do the same with my mower. The leaf mulch gets tilled back into the garden in the spring. Perfect place for the 14mm. I have the same lens in T3.1 E mount, but I haven't had the opportunity to use it in such beautiful cathedrals.:thumbs:

Status
Not open for further replies.