The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Fun With Sony Cameras

Status
Not open for further replies.

ohnri

Re: Fun with sony A7RII images

No I have a Sony Zeiss 135/1.8 already and it's arguably the best lens Siny has ever made. That being said I want to get away from adapting lenses except in special cases. I want a native solution. This is the closest thing to one combined with a LA-E4.
I have been considering the 135/1.8 on a LA-E4.

Can you briefly summarize the reasons you would like to replace it?

Thanks,

Bill

Quentin_Bargate

Spitalfields Market, London, earlier today, perpective corrected and very slightly cropped, Zeiss 16-35mm F/4, @27mm, F/8, ISO 100

Jim DE

Quentin, I bought a 16-35mm to go along with my a7RII as well as it's only native lens at this time. Something's I have read about that lens is it is best between 17mm-27mm. On either side of that it is suppose to start to deteriorate. Your 27mm looks great!

biglouis

Re: Fun with the Sony A7 Series Cameras( all of them)

Coploe Hill near Ickleton, Cambridge.

Sony A7S+Sony 90/2.8 Macro OSS

Loxia 35/2

Quentin_Bargate

The image quality delivered by this camera, and the 16-35mm F/4 lens in its sweet spot (around F/8), mid zoom range, is utterly fantastic.

FANTASTIC. sorry for shouting ;) But if necessary, sell body parts to get it.

A few more from my jaunt around Spitalfields / Shoreditch in London today, perspective corrected where necessary and processed in ACR with a few Photoshop minor tweaks.

PS shutter is way quiter than the A7R.

Quentin_Bargate

Silent shooting mode - which I have just tried - is completely silent, but can only be used in single shot mode.

Quentin_Bargate

Quentin, I bought a 16-35mm to go along with my a7RII as well as it's only native lens at this time. Something's I have read about that lens is it is best between 17mm-27mm. On either side of that it is suppose to start to deteriorate. Your 27mm looks great!
You'll love it, Jim. Its not a perfect lens, but still very good. ACR does of course have a profile for it, so the minor pincushion or barrel distortion can be corrected quite easily.

Jim DE

The image quality delivered by this camera, and the 16-35mm F/4 lens in its sweet spot (around F/8), mid zoom range, is utterly fantastic.

FANTASTIC. sorry for shouting ;) But if necessary, sell body parts to get it.

A few more from my jaunt around Spitalfields / Shoreditch in London today, perspective corrected where necessary and processed in ACR with a few Photoshop minor tweaks.

PS shutter is way quiter than the A7R.

Quentin, That first image with the graffiti is that a blue drone in the air above it in the sky..... sure looks like one! Bet if you cropped in you could really see it. The happiest day I had with my drone was the day someone bought it .... If that is a drone in your pic we heard over here that their use was heavily regulated in the UK.

iiiNelson

I have been considering the 135/1.8 on a LA-E4.

Can you briefly summarize the reasons you would like to replace it?

Thanks,

Bill
Just preference to eventually have native FE glass. Adapting is perfectly fine and the Zeiss 135/1.8 is amazing. No complaints about optical performance and I don't even mind the size/weight when I see what the lens can do. Really my largest issue is the small AF area associated with the LA-E4 no matter what lens is used.

Quentin_Bargate

Quentin, That first image with the graffiti is that a blue drone in the air above it in the sky..... sure looks like one! Bet if you cropped in you could really see it. The happiest day I had with my drone was the day someone bought it .... If that is a drone in your pic we heard over here that their use was heavily regulated in the UK.
Jim

I think its a Heathrow bound plane..... And yes, the use of drones is now quite heavily regulated in built up areas. Probably for the best.

pegelli

Re: Fun With Sony _____

Did a little test to see how far I could perspective correction in Lightroom

The full capture (NEX6 + E10-18/4 @ 10 mm), pointing the camera up:

Perspective corrected and adjusted the aspect slider so it looked "natural" (needed to stretch the image further vertically):

I'm pretty happy with the result of this "poor mans" tilt/shift function

Btw, the subject is the Notre Dame cathedral in Amiens, the largest Gothic cathedral in France (or at least that's what they claim at the tourist office)

Stefan Steib

Thanks for sharing the images. Not many A7RII files have been posted since the camera has not been widely shipped yet.

The sensor looks like it will score above 100 on the DXo ratings easily. Noise is basically non-existent even in the shadows. The blue sky is extremely clean too. I can see that the lens is not up to the sensor (away from the center which is very sharp) but is still good.

Only downside I see is that the sensor is just too good, too clean. No "character". But for those who always want more Dynamic Range and cleaner images looks like the sensor of the A7RII is the best ever made. Impressive show of tech prowess by Sony. It will CRUSH every other sensor made in regards to low noise and Dynamic range.
Yup - full agree. This is the sensor to beat. "Character" can be added easily in post. And all my nice Zeiss glass is waiting.
Finally something to really squeeze out anything of the best lenses out there.

And - not to forget: stabilized. This alone will make 80% of all images shot sharper. More than any Otus or Batis or ART lens.

I see a new time coming for my aging back. Good bye to the tripods. Lets see. We´ll know in a few weeks.

Greetings from Germany
Stefan

Jim DE

Agreed, I had a DJIVision2 and nearly everyday one could read about one or more that either for no reason it flew away or would drop out of the sky. Now they are about 3lbs and armed with props that can cut a person to the bone and a lipo battery which is very prone to being unstable and catching fire(that Malaysian flight that was missing was carrying 400 lipo batteries as cargo .. A consideration) When I would fly my drone all I could think about is it flying off at 45 mph or more (if with a wind) for up to 20 minutes and striking a kid playing outside or crashing on a church or school roof and catching fire. All I could see is my life's savings being sucked away in a litigation because of a toy with a horrible camera

doug

Re: Fun with the Sony A7 Series Cameras( all of them)

Great-tailed Grackle with meal stolen from a White-faced Ibis

a7II, Canon FD 500mm f/4.5 L, Leitz shoulder stock, Dodge truck :p

Status
Not open for further replies.