The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Fun With Sony Cameras

Status
Not open for further replies.

Annna T

Re: Fun with the Sony A7 Series Cameras( all of them)

Ruelle du Collège, Vétroz. That modern building all dressed in golden metal is a children daycare center; the building on the right used to be a school, but they have built new ones and this building is now housing social cares.

A7rm2 and Canon TSE 24mm F3.5 (the first version)

Ruelle du Collège, Vétroz - 20160515_055a7r2i by rrr_hhh, sur Flickr

Edit : I was curious about that gold looking facade : in such a village and for a public building that seemed strange. So I searched the website of the municipality : it is made of brass and second the architects it was chosen in order to contrast with the white concrete present on the sides of the buildings and on the ground. They also think that the golden color is a remembering of the paint often used for the other buildings in the neighborhood (mm... I didn't see a lot of that yellow the other day). Anyway : it is very shiny and stunning in that place.

Last edited:

Lucille

Testing my new knee at Albuquerque Dragway, as the sun started setting,

A7R II, 85mm f/1.6, ISO125, 1/2500sec.

Sharif Abdou

A7RII + Batis 85 :: @1/500 f2.8 ISO 100 :: heavily, heavily cropped.

My first, and last, picture of cats, promise. A stray cat that lives in my family's yard delivered a litter of 5 kittens, they were barely a month old when I took this picture, already fighting like little demons.

Maybe not the appropriate place to write this, but I just read about the passing of Michael Reichmann of Luminous Landscape. Very sad to hear this, his photography, and his writing, were very inspiring.

Sharif

Attachments

scho

A few shots taken at the Ithaca Farmers Market and Steamboat Landing using the A7R-FS on a Cambo Actus with Schneider APO-Digitar 47/5.6 XL lens, no filtration. B&W conversions in SEP2.

pegelli

Re: Fun With Sony _____

From May 8 - 14 I participated in a photo workshop in Tuscany led by Hans Kruse (See details here).

It was a very worthwhile experience. We had a great group of 11 photographers and Hans is an excellent workshop leader. He's a fine instructor on the technical side of things and regarding what and how to shoot he doesn't tell you what to do but he brings ideas and suggestions you have to put in practice yourself. On the one hand that's harder, but also more rewarding and avoids too much copy-cat behavior. Also what you learn that way is probably maintained and sustained a lot longer.

I was the only Sony shooter in the group, the rest were all Canon and Nikon, but choice of equipment was never an issue and only marginally discussed. It was all about capturing the light and the beautiful landscapes.

Here's some pictures to give you an impression, hope you like them (as much as I do ;))

1: Sunset

A850 + Min 24-105 D

2: Misty sunrise

A850 + Min 80-200/2.8 HS G

3: Light rays over the hills

A6000 + E16-50 PZ

4: Evening light hitting the rolling hills

5: Morning light on Villa Belvedere and the valley behind

A6000 + E16-50 PZ

6: Sunset near San Quirico d'Orcia

A6000 + OM Zuiko 85/2

7: Morning light kissing the rolling hills

A6000 + OM Zuiko 85/2

C&C more then welcome

Michiel Schierbeek

Wonderfull series Pieter!

I like 1, 2 and 5 the most, you can see you fucused on how to capture the landscapes with interesting light circumstances.
Well done!

seb

As you asked for C&C - I'll try...
(I'm no professional and don't have much experience. So any of my thoughts may be wrong or just subjective (I'm sitting in front of an uncalibrated screen, lol). If something sounds dismissive or simply not nice, it wasn't meant so. I'ts because of my bad english. :) )

I love the series. I did see a lot of pics of this region and Tuscany is on my list to visit once. Your pictures does me remind at it very strongly.

1: Sunset

A850 + Min 24-105 D

scenery: wonderful! The bushes on the bottom may be distracting. If you want them on the picture, you need to process them better.
processing: It's too dark in the mids and dark areas. It looks like you ETTR to the sun and did not recovered the mid and dark tones later.
color: nice short before sunset tone. works fine here.

2: Misty sunrise

scenery: a magical moment. It's my favorite
processing: the hill on the right is too dark and blue. it rivals with the houses in the center. I would try to lighten it up and turn it more green (like the other hills). Maybe less clarity for the whole picture.
color: the blue hour with sunset clouds. maybe a touch of more green and less magenta on the tint-ruler (and some more blue on the blue-yellow tone). But I like it the way it is too.

3: Light rays over the hills

A6000 + E16-50 PZ

scenery: there are three things of attraction: the road, the sunbeams and the tree group in the lower left. All in all, nothing that I can put together. I would try to crop on the road with the sun above.
processing: It has a quite artificial HDR look. The first hill is very nice. The second (with the road) has too dark midtones, almost no highlights and too much clarity. The third hill does not connect to the second one. At least it should get a part of the processing of the second. The sky works, maybe the darkest parts are a little bit too dark.
color: saturated green towards a desaturated blue. I often use this in landscape. But you have to recover the blue of the sky itself afterwards and get rid of any purple (or other color inconcistencies) in the clouds. At the end it should only have blue and yellow.

4: Evening light hitting the rolling hills

scenery: I would just crop very slightly from the left. it's distracting to see hills going up, when the picture ends. As there is a small peak there, you can crop it to the left bottom of this peak. Great scene!
process: The front hill is good. The sky is too dark. The background hills too dull. All in all a small touch of more brightness?
color: the corners in the sky and the roofs has too much magenta. it would try to color balance it with more blue instead of yellow (tone) and more green instead of magenta (tint).

5: Morning light on Villa Belvedere and the valley behind

A6000 + E16-50 PZ

scenery: I'm jealous about the shot. :) I would crop the lower right corner and allso some sky away. The villa will be at 2/3 on the diagonal from top left to lower right.
process: I like the process, but there has to be done something to get the villa more prominent. The crop is the first step, but maybe some vignetting?
colors: great! I would try a touch of more yellow (either through with balance (blue-yellow) or the yellows only), but may end at what you have now.

6: Sunset near San Quirico d'Orcia

A6000 + OM Zuiko 85/2

scenery: great moment for this scenery. The light makes waves out of the hills. The trees on the lower right corner a slightly too close to the bottom of the pic. The most prominent house is a little bit too much to the right. You may try to crop away the dark part on the very top (without cutting the clouds on the left!).
process: recover the shadows that you can see any detail in the trees at the bottom and the houses on the hill at the left side.
colors: it's very hard to get a good blue-yellow distribution in the golden hour. Your picture is a good example where it worked perfectly. The high saturation does even work with all the colors in the sky.

7: Morning light kissing the rolling hills

A6000 + OM Zuiko 85/2

scenery: great
process: great
colors: the sky has a touch of too much cyan and on the hill in the background the blue turns slight towards magenta. It's because of the warm look you tried over white balance (more yellow/magenta instead of blue/green). You may change that, with a color mask or selective color correction.

Best regards, Seb

scho

A few shots taken at the Ithaca Farmers Market and Steamboat Landing using the A7R-FS on a Cambo Actus with Schneider APO-Digitar 47/5.6 XL lens, no filtration. B&W conversions in SEP2.
Just wanted to add one full color (with some heavy IR influence) shot from the shoot yesterday at Steamboat Landing. Same setup as above.

D

Deleted member 7792

Good stuff Carl. :thumbup:

Joe

pegelli

As you asked for C&C - I'll try...
(I'm no professional and don't have much experience. So any of my thoughts may be wrong or just subjective (I'm sitting in front of an uncalibrated screen, lol). If something sounds dismissive or simply not nice, it wasn't meant so. I'ts because of my bad english. :) )

I love the series. I did see a lot of pics of this region and Tuscany is on my list to visit once. Your pictures does me remind at it very strongly.
Hi Seb, many thanks for taking the time to look at my pictures and write such extensive comments. It's great to get input from another pair of trained eyes. You've certainly given me some ideas to try a different processing on some of these and I'll play some more with them to see if I can improve them. As you say it's all subjective and there's really no right or wrong, but still the input is very valuable for me. Even if I try some of your ideas and I don't like the result I still have learned something and that's what good critiques are all about.

I can certainly advise you to visit Tuscany, it's a beautiful landscape but be prepared to get up early and get beautiful morning light, rest during mid day and go out again around 5:30 pm. and stay until after sunset. So Breakfast and Dinner need to move down on your priority list, but it's really worth it.

seb

Hi Seb, many thanks for taking the time to look at my pictures and write such extensive comments. It's great to get input from another pair of trained eyes. You've certainly given me some ideas to try a different processing on some of these and I'll play some more with them to see if I can improve them. As you say it's all subjective and there's really no right or wrong, but still the input is very valuable for me. Even if I try some of your ideas and I don't like the result I still have learned something and that's what good critiques are all about.

I can certainly advise you to visit Tuscany, it's a beautiful landscape but be prepared to get up early and get beautiful morning light, rest during mid day and go out again around 5:30 pm. and stay until after sunset. So Breakfast and Dinner need to move down on your priority list, but it's really worth it.
Thats also my findings. You can get a lot creativity for your own pics out of comments from others. I'm very happy, if some ideas gave you an idea to try another processing.
About Tuscany: Isn't it always like that? Normaly I'll get nervous at sunrise and sunset, because it's the best time to capture landscapes. :)
Thanks for sharing your work!
Seb

UHDR

St Julians, Malta :grin:

37.jpg
[A7r / Voigtlander 15mm F4.5 / 25s / F8 / iso100]

and a behind the scene shot by my wife :grin:
_DSC0254.jpg

[A6000 / Sony 28mm F2 / 21mm converter / 3.2s / F2.8 / iso250]

Annna T

Where oh where has prolific Barry Haines gone ?
I was wondering too, because he is such a regular member posting one lovely picture of Cornwall everyday. Such a long absence (3-4 weeks ?) almost becomes worrying.

Hopefully :
* He didn't switch to another system camera and leave the Sony forum,
* no one stole his camera and lenses,
* nothing bad happened to his folk and family,
* nothing bad happened to him either.
* and he is just having a pleasant travel or a restful holiday without easy access to the Internet.

But for sure, we all hope that he will soon be back with great pictures to show !

Status
Not open for further replies.