The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Fun With Sony Cameras

Status
Not open for further replies.

scho

Re: Fun with the NEX cameras....

A couple of garden shots using the Canon TS-E 24mm f/3.5 II on the NEX-5N.

Jim DE

scho, I see the the issue I had with the 28 on my NEX5 with the corner issues on pics #2 (upr lt corner very obvious) and slightly on pic #5

please when you get time take a flat on fully open aperture shot of a woods or brick wall at a distance where focus would be set to infinity. I am really curious if Sony truly fixed the issue I had with the 28 Contax in the corners with apertures of 4 and larger. I figure if they did on the 5n then they surely did for the 7 as well.

thanks in advance
maybe I can get to use my 21mm if the corner issue has been fixed ..... wheres my sawsall ;)

A few shots taken today with the NEX 5N and Contax G 28mm f/2.8 Biogon. Raw images converted to tiffs with the Sony raw converter and then processed in LR3 (except 1st image converted in Raw Developer 1.92). Still juggling between the NEX and Ricoh GXR. I'll need to wait for the GXR M module before deciding which to keep (might keep the NEX in any event for use with the Contax G lenses). So far I think that the edges and corners look OK with the NEX and both CV M and Contax G lenses. Hope that Adobe support won't be too long coming for the NEX raw files.

etrigan63

Carl & Keith,

I am seriously contemplating getting either the CV 12mm or 15mm for my upcoming NEX-7. I am having trouble deciding between the two.

Keith, is there a lot distortion with the 12 mm? The crop makes it at 18mm which is a very nice width for landscapes assuming the distortion is controlled.

Carl, the 15mm looks great and the crop makes it ~24mm also very good for landscapes and even for some street stuff.

I will be getting the Zeiss 24mm f/1.8 lens for everyday use.

Care to wax philosophically on this subject gentlemen?

simonclivehughes

Carlos,

Here are a few examples of the CV 12mm on the NEX 5 from New Orleans. As you can see, with off centre subjects, there's certainly distortion, but then you'd expect it at that wide an FOV. There are some magenta corners with the lens, although it rarely bothers me, especially for B&W.

As always, click on an image for a larger view.

View attachment 48738

View attachment 48736

View attachment 48737

View attachment 48739

Cheers,

Last edited:

scho

scho, I see the the issue I had with the 28 on my NEX5 with the corner issues on pics #2 (upr lt corner very obvious) and slightly on pic #5

please when you get time take a flat on fully open aperture shot of a woods or brick wall at a distance where focus would be set to infinity. I am really curious if Sony truly fixed the issue I had with the 28 Contax in the corners with apertures of 4 and larger. I figure if they did on the 5n then they surely did for the 7 as well.

thanks in advance
maybe I can get to use my 21mm if the corner issue has been fixed ..... wheres my sawsall ;)
Hi Jim,

I agree that the 28 G and probably all wide RF lenses below 50mm have varying degrees of corner distortion issues on digital platforms, but with the lenses I've been using and the subjects that I typically shoot this is a very minor issue, particularly with the 5N. There are no corner distortion issues with either of the particular images you mentioned. Both are crops so you can't see the original corners. The #2 was shot handheld in a 30 mph wind at 1/80 sec so you most likely are seeing some wind induced blur in the trees. I'd be happy to shoot a flat field subject, like a textured wall, at varying apertures using the 28 G if you would like to see the distortion at wider apertures, but I really don't think it is a significant problem.

scho

Carl & Keith,

I am seriously contemplating getting either the CV 12mm or 15mm for my upcoming NEX-7. I am having trouble deciding between the two.

Keith, is there a lot distortion with the 12 mm? The crop makes it at 18mm which is a very nice width for landscapes assuming the distortion is controlled.

Carl, the 15mm looks great and the crop makes it ~24mm also very good for landscapes and even for some street stuff.

Carlos,

I don't have the 12 so I can't make any direct comparisons. The 15 does have some corner distortion, but it seems to be reasonably controlled on the 5N. I have the old screw mount version of the 15 and although it is very tiny (matches the 5N in that respect) it is quite awkward to focus on the 5N because the focus ring has no tab. It is not a lens that I would use very often, but the wide FOV is nice to have for certain landscapes. The great DOF would be advantageous for street shooting and you could just stop down to about f/6.3, set a fixed distance, and shoot away without the need to focus each shot.

Jim DE

Yeah Carl I have continued to use my 28 on my NEX 5 but do a work around using no larger aperture than 5.6 with that lens. The 45 and 90 on the NEX 5 are as good as it gets. I was hopeful that with the 3G showing corner performance improvements that the 7 might be able to resolve the 28 and possibly the 21 better than my NEX 5.

If you say it's a non issue I will accept your findings and be even more impatient for November :)

woodmancy

Subscriber Member

Carl & Keith,

Carlos

From the images I've seen I would lean more toward the 15mm if you are going to do landscapes. You can see the distortion of the 12 in my black and white image against the Toronto skyline - the CN tower is quite distorted. I rarely use this lens for landscapes - more for fun type subjects and street work. I don't have the 15mm

Here are a couple more examples - no 2 shows lots of distortion

Keith

etrigan63

Thanks guys. Based on your input and the samples you have provided, I think I will plan on th CV 15 mm for wide work on this camera. That wil make my NEX-7 kit at:

1. Cv 15mm f/4.5 for landscapes
  2. Zeiss 24mm f/1.8 for walkabout
  3. Cv 35mm f/1.4 for lowlight normal aspect

scho

A few shots with my 30 yr old Canon FD 50mm f/1.2 on the NEX-5N.

f/1.2

f/2.8

f/6.3

f/6.3

FlypenFly

I've posted a few images here because they're a bit wide. If you want to see several more samples: http://www.jaegraphy.com/blog/?p=128

First, DO NOT buy the cheap ebay adapters, I'm returning mine to the sketchy seller. I purchased a Photodiox version and while it looks Identical on the exterior to the cheap ebay version, it doesn't grind and stick. I also have a Metabones adapter on the way.

I apologize for the horizontal scrolling on the blog, need to get that fixed!

These are OOC JPG with Noise on LOW and mode on Standard.

I have NOT POST processed these at all except for slight straightening. The included lens hood was used, no polarizers or filters of any kind were used. I have purposely not post processed these images to simply demonstrate what amazing files you'll get to start from. I can't wait for RAW support to be fully implemented in Adobe Camera Raw.

I'm just flabbergasted by the level of contrast and detail in these images. This is possibly the best value lens I've ever purchased. The lighting was very flat today, overcast yet the contrast and saturation is just incredible for Zero post production! Come on! Let me emphasize, the lighting Sucked big time today.

Its pretty good wide open but fantastic at F2.8 with most aberrations negligible at that end.

I'm pretty sure I'll be purchasing another one as a back up.

My only drawback right now is the somewhat busy bokeh at F2 with some purple fringing but I'll have to do a bit more experimenting. I'm really curious what this would look like on a full frame sensor. The PF gets cut down a lot at F2.8.

The NEX-5N JPG engine also seems to oversaturate Red and Magenta a bit even on standard.

Wide open at F2:

Various apertures I do not recall:

Mark K

re: Fun With Sony _____

I post some A77 images here but I am still looking for the colours a850 used to give me.

edwardkaraa

re: Fun With Sony _____

Edward, Great color in both photos. The 24/2 is a stand out, what ISO was used?
Jerry
Thanks Jerry! I cheated a little with these 2 photos. Actually these were taken on Provia 400x in a Minolta 7. I find the ZA to work even better with film.

Status
Not open for further replies.