Site Sponsors
Page 128 of 361 FirstFirst ... 28 78 118 126 127 128 129 130 138 178 228 ... LastLast
Results 6,351 to 6,400 of 18030

Thread: Fun With Sony Cameras

  1. #6351
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    540
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Fun with the Sony A7 and A7r series

    Which lens did you use Mr. lee?

  2. #6352
    New Member KiboOst's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Location
    France
    Posts
    16
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Fun with the Sony A7 and A7r series

    Fun with A7R and 90TSE, 135/2L and 70-200 2.8 L II








    | www.nicolasgenette.com |
    Likes 3 Member(s) liked this post

  3. #6353
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Posts
    860
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    76

    Re: Fun with the Sony A7 and A7r series

    Clicking thru the images to Yat's Flicker page, it looks like the majority of images were made with the 135mm f1.8. The images - color and rendering - have a look that I really like.

  4. #6354
    Super Duper
    Senior Member
    Knorp's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Posts
    3,592
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Fun with the Sony A7 and A7r series







    | leica summarex 1:1.5 | a7r |
    Bart ...
    Likes 3 Member(s) liked this post

  5. #6355
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Beach Haven, NJ
    Posts
    674
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Fun with the Sony A7 and A7r series

    A7R and FE 55mm f1.8 Zeiss lens. The rubber ducks are through a store window at a display.
    Dave in NJ
    Likes 5 Member(s) liked this post

  6. #6356
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    New Jersey, USA
    Posts
    340
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Fun with the Sony A7 and A7r series

    A few snaps from Princeton University.
    A7 + FE24-70

    Attachment 80433

    Attachment 80434

    Attachment 80435

    Attachment 80436
    Likes 4 Member(s) liked this post

  7. #6357
    Super Duper
    Senior Member
    Godfrey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Near San Jose, California
    Posts
    7,781
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Fun with the Sony A7 and A7r series

    Walked with the Elmarit-R 19mm yesterday morning, the M-Rokkor 40mm last night, and the Elmarit-R 24mm this morning. I rendered this selfie from the JPEG of one of the exposures on the iPad mini after transferring by wifi with the Sony software.


    Sony A7 + Elmarit-R 19mm f/2.8 series I

    Too much fun.
    Godfrey - GDGPhoto Flickr Stream
    Likes 9 Member(s) liked this post

  8. #6358
    Subscriber Member tashley's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    South of England
    Posts
    3,229
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Fun with the Sony A7 and A7r series

    I had a lot of fun today. I did a shoot of our local bishop - they need images for the parishes, for press publications, all sorts of things. Dress was from casual to very full clericals with several shades between, expressions had to range from very friendly through pastoral to questioning. Locations were all indoors and I shot most with natural light and some with on-camera bounce as slight fill.

    I used two A7Rs. One had a hand grip on and a 55 F1.8 and one had no grip and a 24-70 F4 OSS. I swapped out this for the 35mm F2.8 for a small number of shots.

    I used Face Detect for most of them, and most were at or close to wide open. Out of 331 shots I found precisely three that weren't acceptably sharp and about four that were only 'good enough'. The rest were utterly perfect. Shutter speeds ranged from 1/30th upwards.

    I have never had a camera that let me place focus exactly where I want it and which nailed it again and again and again. I have never had such a high hit rate on an indoor shoot, often in quite dark chapels and corridors. And I have rarely felt so relaxed whilst shooting something that matters, because it quickly became clear from the LCD that the shots were coming out to the quality I needed. I don't do many portraits because I'm frankly not much good at them, but this was a nice experience! Certainly a lot more fun than a few years back when I had a gig to do official portraits of the last Archbishop of Canterbury and I took along a Phase Back on a DF body for indoor natural light shots, which would have worked had not the largest and darkest storm cloud in the world come over during my 15 minute slot. I ended up using a 5DII and a lot of prayer...

    Can't share any yet until there is client approval. But some I really like a lot!
    Likes 10 Member(s) liked this post

  9. #6359
    Super Duper
    Senior Member
    Godfrey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Near San Jose, California
    Posts
    7,781
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Fun with the Sony A7 and A7r series

    A couple of kittens in the backyard at present. It was quite difficult to get the camera into a position where I could see them, focus, and make a steady exposure. ...

    https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/...ens/index.html

    A7 with Summicron-R 90mm and Elmarit-R 180mm. Dang that 180 is a heavy thing to hold onto!

    enjoy...

    G

  10. #6360
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Posts
    363
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    3

    Smile Re: Fun With Sony _____

    These are from the a99 and Contax Yashica 35-70/3.4. The hats, ribbons and fancy gear are for the winter festival dressup. They asked me so they stayed focused, no pun intended.
    Likes 4 Member(s) liked this post

  11. #6361
    Senior Member W.Utsch's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    Heidelberg, Germany
    Posts
    898
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Fun with the Sony A7 and A7r series

    Short trip to Florence, Italy:

    "Il Ponte Vecchio"



    Likes 7 Member(s) liked this post

  12. #6362
    Super Duper
    Senior Member

    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Royal Oak, MI and Palm Harbor, FL
    Posts
    8,454
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    44

    Re: Fun with the Sony A7 and A7r series

    Quote Originally Posted by tashley View Post
    I had a lot of fun today. I did a shoot of our local bishop - they need images for the parishes, for press publications, all sorts of things. Dress was from casual to very full clericals with several shades between, expressions had to range from very friendly through pastoral to questioning. Locations were all indoors and I shot most with natural light and some with on-camera bounce as slight fill.

    I used two A7Rs. One had a hand grip on and a 55 F1.8 and one had no grip and a 24-70 F4 OSS. I swapped out this for the 35mm F2.8 for a small number of shots.

    I used Face Detect for most of them, and most were at or close to wide open. Out of 331 shots I found precisely three that weren't acceptably sharp and about four that were only 'good enough'. The rest were utterly perfect. Shutter speeds ranged from 1/30th upwards.

    I have never had a camera that let me place focus exactly where I want it and which nailed it again and again and again. I have never had such a high hit rate on an indoor shoot, often in quite dark chapels and corridors. And I have rarely felt so relaxed whilst shooting something that matters, because it quickly became clear from the LCD that the shots were coming out to the quality I needed. I don't do many portraits because I'm frankly not much good at them, but this was a nice experience! Certainly a lot more fun than a few years back when I had a gig to do official portraits of the last Archbishop of Canterbury and I took along a Phase Back on a DF body for indoor natural light shots, which would have worked had not the largest and darkest storm cloud in the world come over during my 15 minute slot. I ended up using a 5DII and a lot of prayer...

    Can't share any yet until there is client approval. But some I really like a lot!
    Tim, hope you can post some of these … this is right up my alley, and your post here is encouraging. I'd like very much to reduce my DSLR/SLT kit and end up with just a pair of these smaller mirror-less Sonys and eventually just 4 lenses … the three current ones, and a longer FE prime of some sort when they get to it.

    I also would love to better understand how you have the A7R settings configured (face detect focus and swift placement of the focus point), I've been distracted by other life events as of late, and haven't had much time to "play and learn".

    Thanks,

    Marc

  13. #6363
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    San Francisco Bay Area, California
    Posts
    377
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    2

    Re: Fun with the Sony A7 and A7r series

    San Francisco Bay Bridge [New]



    Sony A7R
    Canon 24-70 f/2.8 L II @24mm, little croped
    Likes 14 Member(s) liked this post

  14. #6364
    Super Duper
    Senior Member

    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Tucson/Carmel/Jackson Hole
    Posts
    4,270
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    1

    Re: Fun with the Sony A7 and A7r series

    Tetons beyond Jackson Lake, Sony A7r, 24-70 (44mm) f/16 1/200 ISO 50



    The boss did this...
    Last edited by Don Libby; 17th March 2014 at 06:44.
    Don Libby
    Iron Creek Photography
    Blog
    Tucson AZ
    Likes 13 Member(s) liked this post

  15. #6365
    Super Duper
    Senior Member
    Godfrey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Near San Jose, California
    Posts
    7,781
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Fun with the Sony A7 and A7r series

    A few from Saturday's walk with the Elmarit-R 19mm series I.









    All: Sony A7 + Leica Elmarit-R 19mm f/2.8 series I

    This and the Nikkor 18mm produce pretty extreme wide angle for me. It takes a while for my mind to come around to seeing in such FoVs. I'm not quite there yet, but getting more comfortable.

    The Elmarit 19 produces some lovely rendering qualities, as does the Nikkor 18. They have a look which is quite different, however. The Nikkor is a bit better on corner/edge sharpness, the Elmarit separates mid-tones a little better. Both benefit greatly from a sturdy tripod—I feel that I need a very sturdy tripod as much or more with an ultra wide lens as I do with a long telephoto, and that it's actually harder to get the most out of an ultra wide (need more pixels, more careful framing, etc.).

    fun fun fun ...
    Godfrey - GDGPhoto Flickr Stream
    Likes 5 Member(s) liked this post

  16. #6366
    Subscriber Member tashley's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    South of England
    Posts
    3,229
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Fun with the Sony A7 and A7r series

    Marc, I will share some soon I hope.

    Here's how mine are both set up - it suits me really well but other people might want other configurations to highlight features they use more. Also, I've never really done a sit-down analysis of the optimal configuration, I've just iterated towards something I find easy.

    Control Wheel; ISO
    AEL Button; AEL Hold
    AF/MF button (how I leave the switch orientated most of the time); AF/MF toggle
    Cn 1; Focus Settings
    Cn 2; Focus Mode
    Cn 3; Steady Shot
    Center button; Eye AF
    Left Button; Drive Mode
    Right Button; Smile/Face Detect
    Down Button; Focus area

    So what I do is this: I leave the AFMF/AEL switch generally in the UP position.

    This means that when I press the button in the centre of it, I switch from AF to MF.

    When in AF, pressing C1 lets me use the dial as a cursor to move the focus spot around.

    When in MF, pressing C1 lets me magnify the MF area and the dial allows me to move it around.

    After a while this gets to be very fast. I will generally use Face Detect with Small Single Spot AF left on centre by default but if face detect struggles, moving the AF spot to the desired face will usually get it to lock on. You can use Face Detect in Zone and Wide, but I much prefer to be in DMF mode with small single spot.

    Eye detect is actuated by pressing and releasing the centre button of the main dial when Face Detect is active and the shutter is half pressed. For most shots face detect alone is enough. Face detect also makes quite certain that the AF system won't 'see' something behind the desired subject, a problem that even the small single spot sometimes falls victim to.

    I also have the Function Button programmed with a set of useful, often needed items.

    I find the setup to be very fast and most importantly, accurate. It takes a bit of practice but I like it! The one thing I would say is that using the battery grip in order to gain a vertical shutter release does compromise the speed at which I can operate the system of flicking the single small AF point around the field quickly. But I'm even getting used to that. Practice makes somewhat competent!

    HTH
    Tim




    Quote Originally Posted by fotografz View Post
    Tim, hope you can post some of these … this is right up my alley, and your post here is encouraging. I'd like very much to reduce my DSLR/SLT kit and end up with just a pair of these smaller mirror-less Sonys and eventually just 4 lenses … the three current ones, and a longer FE prime of some sort when they get to it.

    I also would love to better understand how you have the A7R settings configured (face detect focus and swift placement of the focus point), I've been distracted by other life events as of late, and haven't had much time to "play and learn".

    Thanks,

    Marc

  17. #6367
    Administrator, Instructor Guy Mancuso's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Arizona
    Posts
    23,616
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    2555

    Re: Fun with the Sony A7 and A7r series

    Quote Originally Posted by Godfrey View Post
    A few from Saturday's walk with the Elmarit-R 19mm series I.









    All: Sony A7 + Leica Elmarit-R 19mm f/2.8 series I

    This and the Nikkor 18mm produce pretty extreme wide angle for me. It takes a while for my mind to come around to seeing in such FoVs. I'm not quite there yet, but getting more comfortable.

    The Elmarit 19 produces some lovely rendering qualities, as does the Nikkor 18. They have a look which is quite different, however. The Nikkor is a bit better on corner/edge sharpness, the Elmarit separates mid-tones a little better. Both benefit greatly from a sturdy tripod—I feel that I need a very sturdy tripod as much or more with an ultra wide lens as I do with a long telephoto, and that it's actually harder to get the most out of an ultra wide (need more pixels, more careful framing, etc.).

    fun fun fun ...
    Given that most of your glass is DSLR lenses a lot of Leica R there is no reason why ( except money of course) not to have a A7r in your kit as well for these moments. Obviously money spent but when those pixels of the A7r really gets you there. Something to ponder, I think we will see more 24mpx cams from Sony but maybe not so fast to see another 36 mpx replacing the A7r. I only say this since your are heavily R loaded and its really nice having that A7r as that is the one I mostly shoot myself. Just a thought and since you are not using any AF but manual focus and no flash gear with regard to sync your not going to see a functional difference but just have more horsepower. If I was manual all the time and not needing the speed than I would probably have a second A7r instead. Heck you could almost get one for dirt cheap with a trade, instant savings with a FE lens and sell off the lens. Might want to look into that whole trade up deal going on.
    Photography is all about experimentation and without it you will never learn art.

    www.guymancusophotography.com
    Likes 1 Member(s) liked this post

  18. #6368
    Senior Member JohnW's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Posts
    640
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Fun With Sony _____

    Nex 7 | Contax G 90

    web site | tumblr
    Likes 6 Member(s) liked this post

  19. #6369
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Location
    London
    Posts
    589
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Fun with the Sony A7 and A7r series

    Just got the FE24-70. Here is a shot at 70mm PP in Lr5.3 and Silver efex pro
    Marick the somewhat mad labourer. for more on the project see here
    The Renovation Project

    Attachment 80447

  20. #6370
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Posts
    1,430
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Fun with the Sony A7 and A7r series

    nice shot Godfrey it is a lovely wide angle lens which seems to be able to isolate subjects easily with pleasing bokeh.

  21. #6371
    Super Duper
    Senior Member
    Godfrey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Near San Jose, California
    Posts
    7,781
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Fun with the Sony A7 and A7r series

    Quote Originally Posted by Guy Mancuso View Post
    Given that most of your glass is DSLR lenses a lot of Leica R there is no reason why ( except money of course) not to have a A7r in your kit as well for these moments. Obviously money spent but when those pixels of the A7r really gets you there. Something to ponder, I think we will see more 24mpx cams from Sony but maybe not so fast to see another 36 mpx replacing the A7r. I only say this since your are heavily R loaded and its really nice having that A7r as that is the one I mostly shoot myself. Just a thought and since you are not using any AF but manual focus and no flash gear with regard to sync your not going to see a functional difference but just have more horsepower. If I was manual all the time and not needing the speed than I would probably have a second A7r instead. Heck you could almost get one for dirt cheap with a trade, instant savings with a FE lens and sell off the lens. Might want to look into that whole trade up deal going on.
    Money is part of it ... buying the A7 body-only (at a deal rate since it was a new body from a split-up kit package) saved me $1000 to get into one and experiment with these lenses. At the time it wasn't clear that it would really work as desired, and if it hadn't I'd have simply sold it and the whole lot of lenses to simplify things.

    I'm convinced now that the A7 works as I desired.

    I'm not in a photo business anymore, I don't have to rush nor do I need backup. The cost of an A7r (or a second A7) body is not a problem. Whether to buy an A7r or a second A7 is a matter of what I want to do with it, and whether the diversity and capabilities of what I already have are sufficient to my desires.

    Meanwhile, I am slowly learning the lenses on this body, and I like what the A7 creates with them. :-)

    G
    Godfrey - GDGPhoto Flickr Stream
    Likes 1 Member(s) liked this post

  22. #6372
    Senior Member f/otographer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Posts
    281
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Fun with the Sony A7 and A7r series

    Quote Originally Posted by tashley View Post
    Love #5 in prticular
    Sorry, I missed this response tashley. Thank you very much.
    Likes 1 Member(s) liked this post

  23. #6373
    Senior Member pegelli's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Belgium
    Posts
    1,864
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Fun With Sony _____

    Usually I don't like to see the microphone in front of a singer's face, but somehow here it all works together very well, expression, scene, the way she holds it. Great shot John, and a nice B&W conversion.
    My Pics
    Likes 1 Member(s) liked this post

  24. #6374
    Super Duper
    Senior Member

    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Manchester/Jerusalem
    Posts
    2,652
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    290

    Re: Fun with the Sony A7 and A7r series

    Quote Originally Posted by Godfrey View Post
    A few from Saturday's walk with the Elmarit-R 19mm series I.


    Love this one Godfrey, great light.
    I am not a painter, nor an artist. Therefore I can see straight, and that may be my undoing. - Alfred Stieglitz

    Website: http://www.timelessjewishart.com
    Likes 2 Member(s) liked this post

  25. #6375
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Posts
    363
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    3

    Re: Fun with the Sony A7 and A7r series

    This photo is from the a7r out of a Contax 100mm f3.5. It's handheld at f8, low ISO and fast shutter speed, shot in a gale. I like to scope out places I pass so the extra detail works great for that. It is a typical result from handholding for landscapes with this combo, standard capture sharpening only. The crest in the crop is (I estimate) 4000-5000 metres - they have run electricity everywhere but no one will be using the road for a while.
    Likes 3 Member(s) liked this post

  26. #6376
    Senior Member W.Utsch's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    Heidelberg, Germany
    Posts
    898
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Fun with the Sony A7 and A7r series

    Firenze, Italy
    Duomo
    from San Miniato al Monte






    Duomo
    from the first floor of the Campanile





    Zeiss ZE 18/3.5 (Canon), Metabones Smart III
    Likes 19 Member(s) liked this post

  27. #6377
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Coral Gables, FL
    Posts
    641
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Fun with the Sony A7 and A7r series

    W, I am really enjoying the second photo.
    Likes 1 Member(s) liked this post

  28. #6378
    Super Duper
    Senior Member
    iiiNelson's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Texas/California/North Carolina
    Posts
    2,977
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Fun with the Sony A7 and A7r series

    A few random small sized JPEG snaps (sent to my iPhone and processed in VSCOcam for testing purposes) with the Rokinon 14, Voigtlander 35/1.2 Nokton II, and the 55 FE. The full sized shots in camera are obviously much much better.







    Priolite Ambassador | Sony Visible Light & IR Photographer
    http://www.iiinelsonimages.com
    Likes 2 Member(s) liked this post

  29. #6379
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    San Francisco Bay Area, California
    Posts
    377
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    2

    Re: Fun with the Sony A7 and A7r series

    Sunset from the Bodega Bay Lodge



    Sony A7R
    Canon 24-70 f/2.8L II
    Last edited by subrata1965; 18th March 2014 at 08:01.
    Likes 8 Member(s) liked this post

  30. #6380
    Super Duper
    Senior Member

    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Tucson/Carmel/Jackson Hole
    Posts
    4,270
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    1

    Re: Fun with the Sony A7 and A7r series

    There's an old truck in Driggs ID that we've seen for several years just sitting on the side of the road slowly getting more forlorn looking with each passing season. Passing it yesterday we decided it was time to take its portrait.


    Sony A7r FE24-70 (50mm) f/6.3 1/200 ISO 50 cropped to suit

    A little "behind the scenes" with me knee deep in snow.



    And this is what I captured...


    Sony A7r FE35mm f/8 1/125 ISO 50 cropped to suit

    Don
    Don Libby
    Iron Creek Photography
    Blog
    Tucson AZ
    Likes 5 Member(s) liked this post

  31. #6381
    Super Duper
    Senior Member

    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Manchester/Jerusalem
    Posts
    2,652
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    290

    Re: Fun with the Sony A7 and A7r series


    A7r, Pentax Tak Super 35mm f2 @ f11

    Had this shoot in mind for 7 months, finally got around to doing it with the help of my students four of whom are modelling here. Most complex lighting I've ever attempted (6 lights + smoke machine + sound trigger), I'm a (ex) wedding photographer not a studio shooter so was pushing my skill envelope. Was fun.
    I am not a painter, nor an artist. Therefore I can see straight, and that may be my undoing. - Alfred Stieglitz

    Website: http://www.timelessjewishart.com
    Likes 12 Member(s) liked this post

  32. #6382
    Subscriber Member tashley's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    South of England
    Posts
    3,229
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Fun with the Sony A7 and A7r series

    A little nostalgic feel today as I finally sold all my other camera gear (Nikon, Canon, Pentax, Leica's already gone) and threw my lot firmly in with nothing but Sony...

    (OK I did keep the IQ 180/Alpa/Rdoenstock. And buy a Canon TSE 24mm...)

    Likes 28 Member(s) liked this post

  33. #6383
    Senior Member mjm6's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Sacramento, CA
    Posts
    524
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    15

    Re: Fun with the Sony A7 and A7r series

    Quote Originally Posted by tashley View Post
    A little nostalgic feel today as I finally sold all my other camera gear (Nikon, Canon, Pentax, Leica's already gone) and threw my lot firmly in with nothing but Sony...

    (OK I did keep the IQ 180/Alpa/Rdoenstock. And buy a Canon TSE 24mm...)
    Looks a little like a salt print or an albumin print... Nice. Silver EFEX I presume?

    I'm about to sell the M9 myself... struggling with the lenses though, I really don't want to part with them!

    And, I can't believe it, but I will probably get both the 17mm and 24mm TS Canons. I had the 24m back when I shot Canon, but the 17 appears to be a real revelation.


    ---Michael
    a900, a7r, FE 16-35, FE 70-200 Leica R lenses: 35 f/2, 50 f/2, 60 macro, Minolta 24mm, 35-70 f/4, Sony G 70-300

  34. #6384
    Subscriber Member tashley's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    South of England
    Posts
    3,229
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Fun with the Sony A7 and A7r series

    Quote Originally Posted by mjm6 View Post
    Looks a little like a salt print or an albumin print... Nice. Silver EFEX I presume?

    I'm about to sell the M9 myself... struggling with the lenses though, I really don't want to part with them!

    And, I can't believe it, but I will probably get both the 17mm and 24mm TS Canons. I had the 24m back when I shot Canon, but the 17 appears to be a real revelation.


    ---Michael
    Hi Michael,

    It went through Silver Effex and a couple of other secret brew steps - such that I'm sure I couldn't replicate it if I wanted to!

    My 24mm TSE seems like a dud - I only had a chance for a few shots before dusk but it looks very soft on one side with all movements centred. The Curse of Tashley strikes again!

  35. #6385
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Posts
    724
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    1

    Re: Fun with the Sony A7 and A7r series

    Quote Originally Posted by tashley View Post
    Stunning! I would love to see this hanging on the wall printed on appropriate paper.
    Likes 1 Member(s) liked this post

  36. #6386
    Super Duper
    Senior Member
    Godfrey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Near San Jose, California
    Posts
    7,781
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Fun with the Sony A7 and A7r series

    Quote Originally Posted by tashley View Post
    A little nostalgic feel today as I finally sold all my other camera gear (Nikon, Canon, Pentax, Leica's already gone) and threw my lot firmly in with nothing but Sony...

    (OK I did keep the IQ 180/Alpa/Rdoenstock. And buy a Canon TSE 24mm...)
    Brilliant photo, Tim. Very lovely.

    I think the gear sale is going to happen here too. I'll keep the A7 and E-M1, and a small selection of my film cameras. The A7 has worked out even better than I'd hoped, and I love these Leica R lenses. I can't quite bring myself to letting go of the E-M1 yet, but I haven't touched anything else in a while.

    G

  37. #6387
    Subscriber Member tashley's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    South of England
    Posts
    3,229
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Fun with the Sony A7 and A7r series

    Thanks chaps! Godfrey, my E-M1 and 12-40 went today as well... I have truly become Sony Borg....
    Likes 2 Member(s) liked this post

  38. #6388
    New Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Posts
    10
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Fun with the Sony A7 and A7r series


    lelah by hyperfocalS, on Flickr
    Likes 7 Member(s) liked this post

  39. #6389
    Senior Member Quentin_Bargate's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Saffron Walden, UK
    Posts
    1,943
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    58

    Re: Fun with the Sony A7 and A7r series

    Quote Originally Posted by tashley View Post
    A little nostalgic feel today as I finally sold all my other camera gear (Nikon, Canon, Pentax, Leica's already gone) and threw my lot firmly in with nothing but Sony...

    (OK I did keep the IQ 180/Alpa/Rdoenstock. And buy a Canon TSE 24mm...)

    Great shot, Tim. I still have far too many cameras and stuff lying around unused. My happiest photographic excursion was to Morocco with just a Sigma DP2m and DP1m. Cleared away all the indecision about lens and camera choice. Less clutter = better shots.
    Quentin Bargate
    Co-Founder of Ajuve, Director of Bargate Murray, Law Firm of the Year 2012 - 2016, Photographer
    Likes 2 Member(s) liked this post

  40. #6390
    Subscriber Member tashley's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    South of England
    Posts
    3,229
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Fun with the Sony A7 and A7r series

    Quote Originally Posted by Quentin_Bargate View Post
    Less clutter = better shots.
    Thanks Quentin, that's really what I'm finding. Having a tiny backpack with a great camera, great zoom and two world class primes in it and nothing else to distract is a real eye opener, literally and metaphorically...
    Likes 1 Member(s) liked this post

  41. #6391
    Super Duper
    Senior Member

    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Posts
    3,523
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Fun with the Sony A7 and A7r series

    Quote Originally Posted by tashley View Post
    A little nostalgic feel today as I finally sold all my other camera gear (Nikon, Canon, Pentax, Leica's already gone) and threw my lot firmly in with nothing but Sony...

    (OK I did keep the IQ 180/Alpa/Rdoenstock. And buy a Canon TSE 24mm...)

    Tim, truly unique, especially in today's world of digital imagery. I'm generally not a big fan of excessive digital post processing manipulation. Reminds me of days of yore when film and creative darkroom techniques ruled the world of photography and one could spend hours experimenting with developers and hand manipulation. A wonderful addition to some of your best posted images

    Dave (D&A)
    Likes 1 Member(s) liked this post

  42. #6392
    Senior Member mAlKhamis's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Davis, California
    Posts
    373
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Fun with the Sony A7 and A7r series

    Great shots every one, big well done !

    I’ve just got my sony Alpha 7R as my Valentine gift from my most amazing Wife (ya she loves me so much), but without any sony lenses, and as a Leica guy, its naturally for me to buy the Nnovoflex adapter to attach my Leica lenses on this little beast !
    Here are just few from my 6 weeks experience with the A7R and Leica 50mm and 28mm cron lenses.


    Sea Lions by M.ALKHAMIS, on Flickr


    Between the roots by M.ALKHAMIS, on Flickr


    Color Fighter by M.ALKHAMIS, on Flickr


    Picture me by M.ALKHAMIS, on Flickr


    Color anticipation by M.ALKHAMIS, on Flickr


    Color winner by M.ALKHAMIS, on Flickr
    Last edited by mAlKhamis; 19th March 2014 at 18:55.
    Mohammad Al-Khamis
    Likes 13 Member(s) liked this post

  43. #6393
    Senior Member BSEH's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Copenhagen
    Posts
    290
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Fun with the Sony A7 and A7r series

    Quote Originally Posted by mAlKhamis View Post
    Great shots every one, big well done !





    [url=http://www.flickr.com/photos/m_alkhamis/13257812945/], on Flickr
    HAPPY HOLI
    Likes 1 Member(s) liked this post

  44. #6394
    Senior Member W.Utsch's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    Heidelberg, Germany
    Posts
    898
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Fun with the Sony A7 and A7r series

    Funny, just had this one processed in an "Old Postcard" style when Tim posted his "old" image:

    Florence, the banks of river Arno



    Likes 11 Member(s) liked this post

  45. #6395
    Super Duper
    Senior Member

    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Tucson/Carmel/Jackson Hole
    Posts
    4,270
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    1

    Re: Fun with the Sony A7 and A7r series

    Went out this morning, Sandy armed with her 7r and I with my DF/IQ.


    Sony A7r FE24-70 (70mm) f/11 1/320 ISO 50
    Don Libby
    Iron Creek Photography
    Blog
    Tucson AZ
    Likes 15 Member(s) liked this post

  46. #6396
    Super Duper
    Senior Member
    jonoslack's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    East Anglia & Cornwall (UK)
    Posts
    11,728
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    1

    Re: Fun with the Sony A7 and A7r series

    Quote Originally Posted by tashley View Post
    Thanks Quentin, that's really what I'm finding. Having a tiny backpack with a great camera, great zoom and two world class primes in it and nothing else to distract is a real eye opener, literally and metaphorically...
    Quentin, Tim, couldn't agree more - I've just spent a few days in the mountains, mostly just with an m and a 28mm lens - you relax into it and forget there is anything else . . . . . . . I just haven't made that leap you've made Tim. not yet!

    Just this guy you know
    Likes 1 Member(s) liked this post

  47. #6397
    Senior Member f/otographer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Posts
    281
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Fun with the Sony A7 and A7r series

    Here is one of the shots from my previous outing with the Zeiss Jena Biotar 58/2. It didnt make the original cut since while I liked it there were clearly bettter photos from the outing.

    What finally made me post it is the fact that it is a clear representation of the Biotar exhibiting 'Nisen', or broken bokeh. Instead of the tip of the plants being rendered into a single smooth piece you can clearly see it seperated into two seperate plant tips. Definitely nisen.

    But who cares. I love this old lens.

    Likes 10 Member(s) liked this post

  48. #6398
    Subscriber Member tashley's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    South of England
    Posts
    3,229
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Fun with the Sony A7 and A7r series

    Nisen happens sometimes with the FE 55 1.8 and often with the FE 35 F2.8 - not a look I like too much, but it looks nice in your shot!

  49. #6399
    Super Duper
    Senior Member
    Godfrey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Near San Jose, California
    Posts
    7,781
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Fun with the Sony A7 and A7r series

    Quote Originally Posted by f/otographer View Post
    Here is one of the shots from my previous outing with the Zeiss Jena Biotar 58/2. It didnt make the original cut since while I liked it there were clearly bettter photos from the outing.

    What finally made me post it is the fact that it is a clear representation of the Biotar exhibiting 'Nisen', or broken bokeh. Instead of the tip of the plants being rendered into a single smooth piece you can clearly see it seperated into two seperate plant tips. Definitely nisen.

    But who cares. I love this old lens.

    That's pretty cool! I should pull out my RoBot II Zeiss 40mm f/2 Biotar and see how it works on the A7...

  50. #6400
    Super Duper
    Senior Member

    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Seattle, WA
    Posts
    5,672
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Fun with the Sony A7 and A7r series

    Killing some time...walking around in Seattle's Fremont neighborhood.

    A7, 55mm f/1.8, 1/250s @ f/1.8, ISO 3200


    A7, 55mm f/1.8, 1/250s @ f/1.8, ISO 3200


    A7, 55mm f/2, 1/250s @ f/1.8, ISO 3200


    Cheers, Matt
    Zenfolio | Matt Driscoll
    Flickr | M_Driscoll
    Likes 12 Member(s) liked this post

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •