The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Fun With Sony Cameras

Status
Not open for further replies.

iiiNelson

Re: Fun with the A7/7R

Hiredarm, I don't subscribe any logic to leica R lenses working well on the D800, the R lenses happen to work well in some cases, if they didn't it wouldn't be down to the D800 being a bad camera or a good one. If the D800 worked badly with Nikon lenses then it would be a bad camera.

We aren't talking about the artistic side, it very rarely comes in to any discussion on equipment, I for one don't think my images are good or bad based on the camera I use, they are good or bad based on me.

What I'm saying is that deciding which is better, the 7 or the 7r based on how it works with non native lenses is absurd.

Mat
I think the point being is that adapted or native I think a lot of people are getting too caught up in technical perfection. We can shoot all the walls we want but if the imperfections don't affect the real world pictures then the tests matter less. It not to say quantifying the technical aspects are useful for some but show me a picture of how a lens can be used in actual application and that tells me much more than any graph or 100% crop ever will.

rayyen

Thanks for your compliment. I love the strap too. I bought it long time ago for my Leica camera. It's from Italy Luggi, handmade leather strap, he make a lot of leather accessories for Leica cameras.

@rayyen:
That's a fantastic "product photo"!!
Beautiful combo, you should offer it to Sony:)
BTW, love the red hand-strap - what is it??

tashley

Subscriber Member

You are too kind Vivek! Though it's always a bit dangerous when one rants and then finds that others agree :D

V

Vivek

You are too kind Vivek! Though it's always a bit dangerous when one rants and then finds that others agree :D

Rant is a misnomer here, Tim. :)

I appreciate the high level of discussion here which is greatly enhanced by contributions from you. :salute:

iiiNelson

Hi everyone,
I have been busy this week-end shooting the A7R and a HOST of M lenses...I am satisfied that everything 28 mm (summcricron) and above would suit my purposes, and in particular, the longer lenses work great, with precision focus.... I am definitely getting one, at this point, not that there was really any doubt...

I plan to post my comments and thoughts along the way, but I am impressed....it's not, by any means, a faultless camera, but the sensor shines in many regards!

Great images all around Ash even if some are only "test" type images. I like what I see here. There's a lot of depth (read: 3D effect,) rich color, and nice B&W tone. These are the type of images (along with a lot of the others one people posted) that I like to see when attempting to reach a verdict on a "supplemental" camera primarily to be used with adapted lenses (like many others here.)

iiiNelson

You like that icon, don't ya?:D I am holding back for others to get their copy of A7/7R.
No you should post more. There's way to many words and discussion (on some level) in what's usually a picture centric thread... and I've just added more words.

Here's a picture ---> :D:rolleyes:

Georg Baumann

Subscriber Member

Schöne Dachgeschosswohnung :)

Many thanks for making the effort. Looking really good to me. Looks like an affordable TS for the A7R for landscapes. I am considering the Hartblei though, albeit being 2.5 times that much, I am sorta addicted to Zeiss.

Was asked to show the TSE 24/3.5 II on the A7R.
Here some shots from my living room (would not show these but it is to bad weather here - so as test shots)

DSC04157.jpg by W.Utsch, on Flickr

0.9mm downshift F6.3​

DSC04160.jpg by W.Utsch, on Flickr

10 mm downshift, wide open F3.5, focus via tilt from the painting to the cardboard ottoman in the right front​

You can see a little vignetting on the pic shot wide open (shifted and tilted), but imo a superb performance. At higher F-stops there is no vignetting an no Ca's
See 100% at Flicker via klick!

Annna T

What I'm saying is that deciding which is better, the 7 or the 7r based on how it works with non native lenses is absurd.

Mat
It may be absurd for those who don't already own such lenses. But if you have these lenses and want to give them a second life, then it makes a lot of sense to find out which body will make the best use of these lenses.

And all the more so that the A7/7r is a very new system offering very few native lenses. Of what is available right now, only the 35mm F2.8 attracts me.

As for my Contax G lenses, I'm pretty sure that both the 45mm and the 90mm would be great on either of these two bodies. I have lower expectations for the 28mm and even lower for the 21mm, but why shouldn't I look for the body giving the best results with those lenses when I already own them ?

Your hammering conclusion may be good for you, but it isn't for every one.
There are a lot of people having nice M lenses who wants a digital back for them, but not at the cost of a Leica M. There are a lot of lenses of orphaned systems just waiting for a nice digital back.

V

Vivek

Old OM high res lens that still can be found for a small amount of money used to capture one of my ongoing projects.

Untitled by Vivek Iyer, on Flickr
Sony A7R, Olympus OM Zuiko Macro 50/3.5, f/11, 1/6s, ISO100

Looks like the usual suspects have all received their new cameras. My A7 came last Tue, and I have had a couple opportunities to play with it but the weather has been dreadful for Texas.

I managed a quick hands on review here on the blog: A7 Hands On

Overall, the A7 is quickly proving to be everything I had hoped for and will serve as both RX1 replacement and A900 second body (virtual A99).

And here are a few photos this weekend at my son's LAX tourney with the Minolta 200mm APO f2.8 and the LAEA-4 adapter.

Camera was setup on Speed Priority, AF-C and RAW and I could squeeze off almost 30 shots (5 seconds) of continuous action before hitting the buffer wall. Pretty damn impressive for RAW. That number jumps up to 8.5 seconds in JPEG.

It was so dreary that I shot at 1600 ISO, compared to my usual setting of 100 or 200 at most for an f/2.8 lens outdoors in TX.

Focus was initially off on the 200mm and I had to quickly dial in some AF micro adjustment (-7) on the fly. I think I am pretty close to spot on now but will do a more rigorous calibration later.

The continuous AF worked very well but I was unable to find a true tracking function on the A7 (maybe it doesn't exist?). Overall, I'm very satisfied with the performance. This camera continues to impress and prove itself as a most flexible platform. Parents on the sidelines were in awe when I explained everything it could do.

Battery life with the LAEA-4 pushing that heavy glass in 35 degree weather was around 300-350 shots. Not bad.

Annna T

Hey,
I don't own the 21mm so I can just guess.
Normally the 21 was always the same as the 28 or worse so I have no hope for using it on either A7s.

My opinion on A7 vs A7R in general :
Get the A7.
It is
cheaper
has faster flash sync
more fps
build feels the same as the A7R
same weight as A7R
picture quality is the same (even though the A7R has more pixels)
usability is better with RF lenses. (much less hassle with magenta cast)
smearing seems to be the same with both A7s
AF is a tiny bit faster
smaller file sizes

I will keep my A7 and my friend with the A7R is about to send it back and getting a A7 too.
Many thanks for your feedback. I'm rather a slow shooter using available light, so the advantages of the A7 over the A7r in this regard aren't very important for me. Price of course is an advantage, as well as the lower file size, since I don't really need all these pixels (I don't print big enough to justify it). I like that the A7r lacks the Bayer filter and that there are no AF sensors at the pixel level.

I may get an occasion to test both side by side on Wednesday at a local shop, but alas I don't have any adapter to test the Contax G lenses. Hopefully the shop will have adapters for the M lenses and the EOS lenses.

I'm in no hurry; haven't yet decided whether I'll get one or not.

jonoslack

Okay. Well, I'm a really experienced A7r shooter (being as I've had the camera for nearly 2 hours).

The only real surprise is that I love the sound of the shutter - I really don't know why (and I really wasn't expecting to) it just has a noise I like.

So it's time to post some masterworks.

first of all here is a shot with the Zeiss 28-85 Vario Sonnar - which handles very nicely on the camera.

the bridge at Carleton Forehoe

And here is one with the WATE (which, as expected, looks just fine).

the River

V

Vivek

Chad, you should change the name to Show with Performance! :)

jonoslack

Then I tried the 60mm macro Elmarit R - with stacked adapters, as I don't have a specific R adapter yet.

This lens seems to do really well, focusing is a snap (I had focus peaking on it's lowest level).

Mountain Ash and Rainbow

Ornamental Apples?

Christmas is Coming

IvyGate

Leaf

Rurouni

Managed to demo the A7R today at a Sony shop whilst waiting for my A7R to arrive.

Some quick observations:

- shutter sound is not v loud to me, however the shutter 'delay' sound can be a bit disconcerting at first (does not seem to affect usage)

- handholding the camera and shooting at lowish speeds (E.g. 1/20 with the 35/2.8) still results in pretty sharp images. The camera is balanced enough to allow you to practice proper technique

- EVF is very good. For large eyeglass wearers like me, removing the eyecup is essential. Image tearing from off center viewing of the EVF is minimal. EVF/LCD switching seems less twitchy than on the NEX6 or 7 (which is good!)

Here are some simple images shot at the shop. I shot them mostly on the fly to simulate a candid shooting scenario. These are all ooc jpegs, minor level and contrast adjustments with a v v low tinge of sharpening in LR5:

Focus is on the diorama shop sign

DSC09953 by Rurouni, on Flickr

Focus is on the diorama boy behind the snowman

DSC09959 by Rurouni, on Flickr

Focus is on the blue bauble

DSC09966 by Rurouni, on Flickr

Focus is on the A7 '7'

DSC09962 by Rurouni, on Flickr

Focus is on the toy train snowmen. Note the blue fabric in the background and the nuanced reds on the train top

DSC09975 by Rurouni, on Flickr

Focus is on the '4K'. This is a 25% crop of the original image

DSC09973 by Rurouni, on Flickr

Focus is on the two mannequin heads. This is a 25% crop of the original image

DSC09989 by Rurouni, on Flickr

M

mjr

It may be absurd for those who don't already own such lenses. But if you have these lenses and want to give them a second life, then it makes a lot of sense to find out which body will make the best use of these lenses.

And all the more so that the A7/7r is a very new system offering very few native lenses. Of what is available right now, only the 35mm F2.8 attracts me.

As for my Contax G lenses, I'm pretty sure that both the 45mm and the 90mm would be great on either of these two bodies. I have lower expectations for the 28mm and even lower for the 21mm, but why shouldn't I look for the body giving the best results with those lenses when I already own them ?

Your hammering conclusion may be good for you, but it isn't for every one.
There are a lot of people having nice M lenses who wants a digital back for them, but not at the cost of a Leica M. There are a lot of lenses of orphaned systems just waiting for a nice digital back.
Annna, all salient points but I believe you're missing what my post was about, not entirely surprising, it was early and I am often less than clear.

My issue was with the guy who gave clear reasons why you should buy one camera over the other, it feels absurd to me that any assumption should be made on a camera based on how it handles lenses it wasn't designed to work with, from a different era, a different manufacturer and for a different style of camera. There's no reason why you shouldn't try it for your existing lenses, I hope it works and you enjoy using it. If it doesn't work and you come back to say that the camera is no good because your old contax lenses aren't producing the goods then I'll say the same to you,it's an absurd statement.

As it is, I'd be happy to see this thread full of fantastic images, taken with the best lenses possible for the camera, taking full advantage of the technology at hand, processed to the users best artistic vision and displayed here to wow and amaze and inspire.

Mat

Status
Not open for further replies.