The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Fun With Sony Cameras

Status
Not open for further replies.

dhsimmonds

re: Fun With Sony _____

Melissa and my A900, Minolta 1,4/85
That's what I like about the A900. Natural colours and beautiful skin tones. Nice lens BTW. Minolta lenses are no slouches and still stand up well in the digital era, but best of all Melissa looks gorgeous! You couldn't really fail!:thumbs:

mjm6

Shot a nice couple of images last fall...

Here's two stitches, one from three frames (Sony 70-300), and the other from 11 (yes, eleven)...

Wow, great shots Mim. I did some pano work & stitching over the weekend myself. This was shot on-campus at my day job. Unfortunately, they don't fly the flags on weekends, so I shot in the empty parking lot on Saturday, shot the flags on Monday, and put the two together last night.

13 X (1/320, f/11, 20mm @ISO 250)

Gigapan version here(~540MP).

Gigapan version here(~150MP).

Terry

A little relief.

About a month ago I had a complete closet collapse (thank you California Closets). I was completely asleep when it happened but the sound of the shade of my 24-70 (with the lens attached) hitting the deck woke me up. Arrrrrgh the lens barrel is definitely stiff to zoom. I had been dreading having to buy a new one. So, I blocked the whole incident out for a few weeks until this AM when I took the lens out for a shoot. Seems to focus fine and I took some test shots that seem sharp to the corners. Here are a couple of shots from this morning.

Looks to me like your lens is doing fine. :thumbup:

Nice shots there. Thanks for the nice words, that pic has started something of a buzz at work. :)

Here are some from play time this weekend. :)

(Click for larger)

1/320 f/8 ISO 320 Minolta 20mm 2.8

1/15 f/8 ISO 320 Minolta 20mm 2.8

1/40 f/8 ISO 320 Minolta 16mm 2.8

1/320 f/8 ISO 320 Minolta 16mm 2.8

1/60 f/8 ISO 320 Minolta 16mm 2.8

1/10 f/8 ISO 320 Minolta 16mm 2.8

1/1000 f/8 ISO 320 Minolta 16mm 2.8

1/1600 f/8 ISO 800 Minolta 28-135 f/4-4.5 @110mm -- this one is an example of one of the two things I'm having the hardest time getting used to with digital -- remembering to reset the ISO for conditions. I had upped it while shooting in the shade and forgot. Turned out OK, I guess. My other nemesis is remembering to switch SSS appropriately for on/off-tripod work.

1/1000 f/4 ISO 320

1/80 f/7.1 ISO 320

1/800 f/4 Iso 320

jonoslack

Lots of great shots here - love the fox cubs and the ferns LoSenior - the Porsche shots make me miss my boxster even more :cry:

Terry - the flowers are splendid

altogether :clap::clap:

I've been brushing the dust off my A900 over the last few days. Lovely camera.

all the best

LoSenior

Jono, Thanks for the comment on the pictures. A very special Thank You to you, Terry and others for the inspiration to move to a Sony camera and lenses.
I've always enjoyed both of your pictures on the various forums and your knowledge and willingness to share.

Best Regards, Jerry

These are from the American LeMans series race at Laguna Seca May 22. Taken with the Minolta 80-200 f/2.8 APO or Minolta 500 f/8 reflex. Some were cropped heavily, e.g. the last one in this first post. Full FOV with this lens at this shooting position can be seen in the first pic in the second post.

The whole shebang
Picks

I culled the obvious duds and bulk-processed the rest after setting up the captions. Over time I'll pick through and get rid of the OOF shots. It's worth noting that at this track most of the best places to shoot from just have a small window in the fence to shoot through, plus you're not allowed closer than about 10 feet from these openings, so combined with the crowding around these areas(including official photographers) these factors made it just about impossible to get good panning shots for motion blur. You can see an example in the second photo below; track photog blocking half the window with a crowd of people behind, on the other side of a low wall or fence. I tried to compromise by freezing the action with a bit of blur on the wheels -- with varying degrees of success. :) I hope you enjoy them.

Click the pics for larger versions and EXIF details.

First, here are the record-breakers:

Car #16, Lola B09 86 Mazda(LMP), Dyson/Smith/Meyrick, 15th Overall(Mechanical, 220 Laps) 3rd in Class, Qualifying Time 1:12.338(New Qual. Lap Record), Best Race Lap 1:14.262(New Race Lap Record)

Car #52, Oreca FLM09(LMPC), Mowlem/Papadopoulos/Lewis, 32nd Overall(Accident, 107 Laps) 5th in Class, Qualifying Time 1:17.800(New Qual. Lap Record), Best Race Lap 1:20.563

Car #54, Porsche 911 GT3 Cup(GTC), Pappas/J.Bleekemolen/S.Bleekemol, 17th Overall(219 Laps) 1st in Class, Qualifying Time 1:26.934(New Qual. Lap Record), Best Race Lap 1:27.279(New Race Lap Record)

Car #55, Oreca FLM09(LMPC), Tucker/Bouchut/Wilkins, 3rd Overall(229 Laps) 1st in Class, Qualifying Time 1:18.212, Best Race Lap 1:19.343(New Race Lap Record)

Now the class winners:

Car #1, HPD ARX-01c(LMP), Brabham/Pagenaud/Franchitti, 1st Overall(237 Laps), 1st in Class, Qualifying Time 1:13.09, Best Race Lap 1:14.441

Car #55, Oreca FLM09(LMPC), Tucker/Bouchut/Wilkins, 3rd Overall(229 Laps) 1st in Class, Qualifying Time 1:18.212, Best Race Lap 1:19.343(New Race Lap Record)

Car #54, Porsche 911 GT3 Cup(GTC), Pappas/J.Bleekemolen/S.Bleekemol, 17th Overall(219 Laps) 1st in Class, Qualifying Time 1:26.934(New Qual. Lap Record), Best Race Lap 1:27.279(New Race Lap Record)

Car #45, Porsche 911 RSR(GT2), Bergmeister/Long, 5th Overall(227 Laps) 1st in Class, Qualifying Time 1:23.484, Best Race Lap 1:23.959

And some other photos from the day(Click picture for larger version and stats:

M

mhlvos

Peacock

Great pictures you all post here.

Shot with the Sony A900 at 1600 iso only auto white balance in the Gimp.

Status
Not open for further replies.