The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Fun With Sony Cameras

Status
Not open for further replies.
M

Masterbrew

Re: Fun with the NEX cameras....

I'm amazed as well UK1. It spells an exciting future for cameras. Intelligent AI can help with all kinds of advanced post processing.

I've tried taking HDR pictures with bracketing, a tripod and Hydra software on the mac. The results weren't good, now I can do pretty good HDR handheld with no postprocessing.

U

UK1

Hope someone can point me to the right products and info sources.

1. I'd like to buy a dust cap for the rear end of the pancake lens and a dust cap for tne NEX body. Can anybody point me to sizes and or suitable products please?

2. I'm unable to see any matrix in the instruction book of what functions are compatible with other functions, There's a limited one for shooting modes and flash modes - but I cannot see what camera modes can be used with the various creative styles. For example intelligent auto seems to have all creative styles unavailable. Can anyone point me to a matrix I can print off of what is available with which please......if you get my drift.

Thanks in advance

Thanks.

Jeff

M

Masterbrew

What do you think about the post processing I've done to this HDR picture. Does it improve it? I find the out-of-camera HDR pictures a bit flat.

Last edited:

ustein

Contributing Editor

>I find the out-of-camera HDR pictures a bit flat.

That is fine for B&W. Much easier to make images less flat than the other way round.

Terry

Hope someone can point me to the right products and info sources.

1. I'd like to buy a dust cap for the rear end of the pancake lens and a dust cap for tne NEX body. Can anybody point me to sizes and or suitable products please?

2. I'm unable to see any matrix in the instruction book of what functions are compatible with other functions, There's a limited one for shooting modes and flash modes - but I cannot see what camera modes can be used with the various creative styles. For example intelligent auto seems to have all creative styles unavailable. Can anyone point me to a matrix I can print off of what is available with which please......if you get my drift.

Thanks in advance

Thanks.

Jeff
1. The ebay seller jinfinance is going to make rear lens caps for the NEX. I also asked them about body caps. They weren't sure but said stay tuned. I will post here when I see them.

Sony is supposedly sending me a rear cap. I will believe it when I see it. Then as to the rear cap, they didn't a clue or a part number. So, somebody on ebay will step up to the plate and make them. I do have one rear cap as it came on my Alpha to E mount adapter....so we know they do exist.

2. I don't know.

Last edited:

Terry

What do you think about the post processing I've done to this HDR picture. Does it improve it? I find the out-of-camera HDR pictures a bit flat.
I like the additional contrast but it seems to have moved the WB a little blue. I like the effect in the sky but the bottom right hand car is where it seems like it should be cut back a bit.

Terry

Uwe - these look good. The tonal range and control over the exposure in the first looks especially good. It looks bright enough that some highlights would blow out but they really as I said seem so under control.

Terry

Some more panos.....advice shoot multiples....you won't see the problem spots on the LCD. I don't think there is any way I would have gotten these on a tripod or handheld shooting single shots and stitching as the people were moving too fast.

ustein

Contributing Editor
NEX with HDR and RAW

I consider it a design flaw that the NEX cannot shoot:

RAW + HDR and maybe RAW + JPEG + HDR. THis means I would like to get the middle exposure shot as a RAW file.

Below shot as RAW:

Last edited:
U

UK1

Hope someone can point me ......

I'd like to play around with some raw output from my NEX-5 in Elements 8, but I cannot see how to open arw files. I have downloaded a plug-in (cameraraw 5_6) and I've unzipped it and I believe the instructions are telling me to replace the current cameraraw file with the new one, but my current installation doesn't seem to have this file.

I'm probably doing something basic wrong so if anyone can see what it is I'd appreciate the tip!

Jeff

Terry

Hope someone can point me ......

I'd like to play around with some raw output from my NEX-5 in Elements 8, but I cannot see how to open arw files. I have downloaded a plug-in (cameraraw 5_6) and I've unzipped it and I believe the instructions are telling me to replace the current cameraraw file with the new one, but my current installation doesn't seem to have this file.

I'm probably doing something basic wrong so if anyone can see what it is I'd appreciate the tip!

Jeff
Nope you aren't doing anything wrong. The RAW support isn't available yet. I hear the next release should have it. Not sure if that means a week or a month :p

U

UK1

Nope you aren't doing anything wrong. The RAW support isn't available yet. I hear the next release should have it. Not sure if that means a week or a month :p
Many thanks again for your help.

As an interim the image data lightbox on the CD migrates raw to tiff and then into Elements 8 ... but that I guess defeats the object!

The Adobe website implies (at least it seemed so to me) that

Adobe

..... but I presume I misunderstood or it was camera specific or something.

Thanks again.

Jeff

barjohn

Try Bibble 5 Pro. It allow you to work with the RAW files and is much better than the Sony included product.

Martin S

I also would like to use RAW, but I have a non-Intel based MAC. I think that the new version of ACR will probably only work with the Intel based MACs.

Do I convert the Sony RAW files to Adobe RAW format to proceed, and then use CS4??

Or do I just buy a new MAC????

Please advise.

Martin

Last edited:

ustein

Contributing Editor

I also would like to use RAW, but I have a non-Intel based MAC. I think that the new version of ACR will probably only work with the Intel based MACs.

Do I convert the Sony RAW files to Adobe RAW format to proceed, and then use CS4??

Or do I just buy a new MAC????

Please advise.

Martin
Martin, it is time for a new Mac. It is likely over 4 years old and there are many changes in hardware/software during this. Let me know your requirements and I may suggest what to get.

In short:

- Mobility in mind mainly: Mac Book Pro (8GB of memory)
- iMac is great with 27" display
- Then for power users the Mac Pros (like get updated soon)

ustein

Contributing Editor

Use now the NEX-5 (my own) shooting bracketed RAWs. The +/- 2/3 EV steps are a bad designed limit but it still can help (I create HDR or can pick the best single exposure). Considering that the 18-55mm is very much a consumer lens the results are not bad at all.

ustein

Contributing Editor

Cannot count how often we shot this knob and this is one of the best we got (ISO 800):

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.