The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Fun With Sony Cameras

Status
Not open for further replies.

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
Re: Fun with the Sony A7 and A7r series

Ah, I see. The RX1 Sonnar is an amazing lens. With the added benefit of being designed specifically for the sensor. Thats gonna be hard to beat. The Zeiss 35/1.4 is probably your best best. Or maybe a 35mm Summicron. Or, if a slightly tighter focal length would work, the Voigtlander SL 40mm f/2 ASPH (series 1) might work. It was made in CY mount along with the entire SL line back in the day. :)
If want want sharp than nothing is going to beat the Sigma 35mm 1.4 Art lens. i have it and its a razor with nice bokeh too. But its big and heavy

Barry Haines

And now I really wish I had picked up the 55/1.8 back when it was in the budget when I bought my camera. :(

Amazing images Barry.
Many thanks most appreciated f/otographer.
The 55/1.8 is a great lens for sure (my current favourite).
Because it doesn't have many weaknesses unfortunately means it doesn't have any character of it's own to explore!...(I'm never satisfied :) )
Cheers Barry

Barry Haines

If want want sharp than nothing is going to beat the Sigma 35mm 1.4 Art lens. i have it and its a razor with nice bokeh too. But its big and heavy
Guy...I think a lot of people would love to own that lens for it's optical and build quality alone But the weight and adding a LA-EA4 adapter to get fast AF is holding them back I suspect.
If Sony/Zeiss could just make a fast AF FE mount version of that lens that wasn't so heavy (and expensive :D ) they would have a huge hit on their hands...Cheers Barry

PS. I might just add without stating the obvious, that Sony would probably be shooting themselves in the foot if they did!
As the RX1/R and LA-EA4 sales would probably be badly damaged by such a lens.
I'm suprised at Sigma's reluctance though still to make FE mount lenses if only in the ART series.

Last edited:

bcm

Damn you Barry was thinking of selling the 55mm and you keep coming up with winners. LOL

Love the one above
I purposely bought a collection of ZMs when I first bought my NEX 7 in the hope that I'd be able to continue using them on whatever FF camera Sony bought out. Primarily because I didn't want to spend money on native lenses that didn't impress me and because most of the ZMs (my 85/2 excepted) are small and reasonably fast and of high quality.

However with all the great FE55 shots I see around the place I'm beginning to think I should trade in my beloved Planar for the 55. It looks like a fantastic lens.

bcm

Love the composition and the subject. The treament is just perfect for a nostalgic warm feeling. Would you share your process? My process is usually very agressive and now that I´ve started getting some paid gigs I´m trying to be more polivalent.
Pretty simple one on this one.

Bit of cropping, an adjustment to exposure, application of a preset from VSCO Film Pack 1 presets (Kodak Porta 800..ignore the Fuji lines in the history..tried those and didn't like them) and then some removal of grain that the preset adds and some sharpening.

You can get the same result without the presets pretty easily though, which is the biggest benefit in buying the presets I think. Learning from how they create particular looks.

In this case the sort of faded look comes through boosting the low end of the RGB curve up to lighten up/wash out the darker areas like the grass in the foreground. The Porta preset also sticks some S-curves into the R, G and B channels. Then the richer colours come from playing with the Hue and Saturation areas in LR. There's also a bit of a light blue tint applied on the highlights in the Split Toning.

The VSCO "look" isn't for everyone and is probably a bit faddish/instgramish but I have to admit I'm a sucker for it. :)

Having said all that the biggest contributor to the colours is shooting it in the golden hour in late afternoon so you have a decent palette to work from in the first place. That's telling someone who shoots photos like you do how to suck eggs though!

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member

Damn you Barry was thinking of selling the 55mm and you keep coming up with winners. LOL

Love the one above
*If* I had the Sony system, the 55 would be the first lens I'd buy and last I'd sell...

Me personally, I may try the Sony when somebody makes a good fully automated AF adapter for Nikon lenses.

Jonas

(...)
As Barry already mentioned I used a tilt adapter, which must have been moved slightly by accident. I was not planning on any tilt in this shot but it turned out well.
As to not continue to pollute this thread with all sorts of lens discussions (instead of images) I limit myself to a short Thank you! ...and yes, I used to think the same about size but then I learned to know the RX1 and now...
Cheers,
Jonas

Michiel Schierbeek

As to not continue to pollute this thread with all sorts of lens discussions (instead of images) I limit myself to a short Thank you! ...and yes, I used to think the same about size but then I learned to know the RX1 and now...
Cheers,
Jonas
People in this thread don't mind some lens discussion/information exchange. :)

4 bold males and 2 bold females.

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member

Me personally, I may try the Sony when somebody makes a good fully automated AF adapter for Nikon lenses.
I find it increasingly puzzling that Nikon doesn't come up with this solution themselves... on a Nikon FX mirrorless camera. They have shown with the V1/2/3 and adapter that they can. It's just a question of repeating the exercise on a slightly greater scale. I wonder what's holding them up :confused:

Status
Not open for further replies.