The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Fun With Sony Cameras

Status
Not open for further replies.

Barry Haines

Re: Fun with the Sony A7 and A7r series

Looking over to the Menabilly Estate (Once home to Daphne du Maurier)...Cheers Barry

Michiel Schierbeek

Michiel...I used to go past this (Richard Serra's - Fulcrum sculpture) everyday on my way to work in the mid 80's. It used to stand just outside Liverpool Street Station, I wondered where it went...Cheers Barry
On the photo you can see that the area were the sculpture is situated is far to crowded with competitive objects.
He probably sold a few copys of this tough sculpture. I think this one has been in Amsterdam also from the mid 80's.

Looking at the constuction for the new entrance of the Van Gogh museum from the Stedelijk Museum bookshop.

Godfrey

all: Sony A7 + Skink (Zone Sieve 24mm)
ISO 25600 @ f/71

This "park pinholery" has become a full-fledged project... :)

Thanks for looking! Comments always appreciated.

Godfrey

Thank you all for the 'likes'!

Godfrey, It works best for scenes like the second one, I think. More mystery.:)
That one came out very nicely, glad you like it too! The sense of mystery and almost dream-like awareness in some of these photos is very appealing to me.

fun fun fun... :)

G

jlm

Workshop Member

it is about the fun.

godfrey; what is it about the A7r that makes it the go-to camera for pin-holing?

Godfrey

it is about the fun.

godfrey; what is it about the A7r that makes it the go-to camera for pin-holing?
(A7 in my case..)

The capability for extreme sensitivity coupled with the FF format in a light and handy camera. Pinhole/zone sieve/zone plate photography has often been very static and difficult to capture any subject with a little motion in it due to the long long exposure times required with film and older digital cameras. With the A7, there's no problem racking the ISO up to 6400-8000-12800-25600, particularly given the softness of imaging with a zone sieve or zone plate. That makes for an easily hand-holdable pinhole camera that can capture sequences, even movies ... unheard of in times past.

The FF format is also a key thing. Pinhole things generate resolution and focal length by a combination of their physical diameter and the distance to the imaging plane. So with small formats and reasonably sized pinholes (for light gathering power), resolution suffers. FF is large enough that you can use a relatively large opening and still have a wide FoV; FourThirds works best with a more telephoto approach to pinhole (I fit a zone sieve made for FourThirds SLR onto an extension tube and that onto an adapter to net a 60-70mm effective focal length @ f/127 or so with the E-M1). This nets the balance of sharpness and speed that I find useful with the E-M1's ability to run up to 6400 with fair cleanliness and image stabilization. I have a set of portraits planned for this setup. For wideangle work, the A7's short register and larger format works much better.

G

f/otographer

Hi all, I've been absent a bit due to not shooting a lot recently because of some severe allergies this summer. So I am hole up inside with not many shutter clicks. :(

But I would like to point out that the level of photography on this thread just continues to amaze. It would be completely justified for Sony to simply start linking this thread address as a way to advertise the capabilities of the A7 line. I imagine a huge white billboard with the moniker "A7" in blood red along with the URL in bold black. Thats it, thats all they would need to sell more of these.

Anyway, here are a couple I managed to snap from a brief foray outside with my Daughter. These were shot with the little Tessar that could, the Yashica ML Macro 55/4. Love that lens.

worlds inside worlds

happy

Barry Haines

The first 3 shots were deliberately photographed to give a 2 dimensional look to the Daymark structure (i.e. no depth). While the other 3 shots have some depth to the structure...Cheers Barry

dandrewk

Like many here, I am anxiously waiting for the purported FE16-35.

In the meantime, I like what can be done with the E10-18. From 13-16mm, it's quite usable on full frame cameras, especially when using the custom LR profile supplied by a DPReview user.

Japanese Tea Garden
Golden Gate Park
San Francisco, CA

E 10-18mm F4 OSS @ 15mm, F8.

Barry Haines

On the photo you can see that the area were the sculpture is situated is far to crowded with competitive objects.
He probably sold a few copys of this tough sculpture. I think this one has been in Amsterdam also from the mid 80's.
Many thanks Michiel...I had absolutely no idea that there was more than one copy...I naturally assumed (wrongly) that the Liverpool Street Station version had gone to Amsterdam...Looking at google maps I see it is still in-situ...Cheers Barry

Status
Not open for further replies.