The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Fun With Sony Cameras

Status
Not open for further replies.

docmoore

Subscriber and Workshop Member
Re: Fun with the Sony A7 and A7r series

These are with the Zeiss ZF.2 50 Macro....

ILCE-7S ZEISS ZF.2 50 F 2

Thanks,

Bob

woodmancy

Subscriber Member

A7 with Minolta 500mm Reflex lens.

Very nice mirror lens with automatic focus

Keith

dunders

Subscriber Member

That's a good kind friend you have yourself there.
As you say the Tokina 17mm is one of the few super wides that does work well with the A7R...
He certainly is a good, kind friend: he also gave me a Tokina 2.8/300AT-X, which worked well with the Pentax bodies, but which I haven't yet had cause to try with the A7R. He is a fine photographer, producing some very humorous and very quirky work. You can see some of it here: https://www.flickr.com/photos/scovophoto/ - well worth a visit.

jaree

jaree...Many thanks for the thumbs up Re: Leica 100mm APO, Just a quick question how is the boke on the Leica 100mm APO wide open on portraits...Nervous, neutral or creamy soft?...Thanks again.
My line of thinking to date for a lightweight travel is 2 bodies and 2 lenses and adding a third lens for longer work when required...
Hi Barry, I would call the bokeh neutral. Attached are a few handheld shots with the 100 APO - may give you an idea of the bokeh. Only one is a portrait (she wouldn't sit still, so it is not exactly in focus), but I hope it gives an idea.

I am with you on getting 2 Sony bodies. On my recent trip to Europe I took only the A7 + 100APO + FE 55 and just loved it. It worked flawlessly. I also had the FE 24-70, but did not use it and it wasn't missed. I think by adding a A6000 I can cover a wide range.

View attachment 81928

View attachment 81929

View attachment 81930

Barry Haines

Hi Barry:

I've only shot with the Sony 135 f1.8 so I wouldn't try and sway you between it and the 135 f2 but with respect to the LAEA4, if it's the "translucent mirror" that you dislike and if you don't care about the AF then I'd like to mention the LAEA3. It will give you aperture control and full lens registration and metadata but only manual focus for the screw drive 135 f1.8. I also wanted to avoid the LAEA4 and went with the LAEA3 for use with the 135 and a 200 macro that I like. But recently I rented an A7S and an LAEA4 for use during a family party. I actually didn't mind the translucent mirror with the 12 mp A7S use. Since that camera is a hi ISO monster I didn't mind giving up the 1/3 stop of light (especially for the kind of family photos I was taking) but I was surprised that the macro stuff I tried it on came out as well as it did. It's definitely made me reconsider not having an LAEA4 for occasions where I don't need all 35 mp.

Regards,
John

Many thanks John for this info and sharing your thoughts and experience, most appreciated...You are quite right it is the "Translucent Mirror" itself inside the LA-EA4 adapter that I dislike - Not easy to clean with stubborn dust I have heard. It is this that has made me avoid the Sony 135mm f1.8 variant over the 135mm f2 ZE up until now, not the actual lens itself - My gripe is with the LA-EA4 TM...I would prefer AF if at all possible on a lens this long with a wide open f2 aperture as no room for errors with focusing.
I will look into the LA-EA3 as an alternative it sounds very interesting indeed with the lens metadata still being relayed back to the camera (despite the lack of AF)...If I am reading you correctly the LA-EA3 doesn't have a TM (I must admit I thought it did)...Thanks again Barry

Barry Haines

He certainly is a good, kind friend: he also gave me a Tokina 2.8/300AT-X, which worked well with the Pentax bodies, but which I haven't yet had cause to try with the A7R. He is a fine photographer, producing some very humorous and very quirky work. You can see some of it here: https://www.flickr.com/photos/scovophoto/ - well worth a visit.

Paul your friend is not only extremely kind, he is also highly imaginative and humorous in his photography as you say (I like a bit of humour as you know)...You will have to introduce me to him the next time he wants to give away some of his lenses :D. The Tokina 300mm ATX is also a cracking lens, I will look forward to seeing your images with that on your A7R...Cheers Barry

Barry Haines

Hi Barry, I would call the bokeh neutral. Attached are a few handheld shots with the 100 APO - may give you an idea of the bokeh. Only one is a portrait (she wouldn't sit still, so it is not exactly in focus), but I hope it gives an idea.

I am with you on getting 2 Sony bodies. On my recent trip to Europe I took only the A7 + 100APO + FE 55 and just loved it. It worked flawlessly. I also had the FE 24-70, but did not use it and it wasn't missed. I think by adding a A6000 I can cover a wide range.

View attachment 81928

View attachment 81929

View attachment 81930

Many thanks jaree for very kindly linking me to those 3 excellent images of yours...Most appreciated, it gives me a very good idea indeed.
The boke is neutral as you say which is a lot better than I was expecting if I am to be honest as APO's generally tend not to be in my experience. The Leica 100mm R APO is just so razor cutting sharp at all focus distances with great colour and micro-contrast...I'm really having a hard time in choosing a short tele :confused::confused::confused:...Thanks again Barry.

Barry Haines

Same combination...

ILCE-7S Sony 85 F 2.8

Thanks,

Bob
Excellent Bob...Prefer this version of the Lure...You also have good taste in Pure Malt Whisky my friend...I always keep a bottle of that to share with friends;)...Cheers Barry

docmoore

Subscriber and Workshop Member

Thank you Barry!

It is a little less garish than the previous...when I have time there is a trout that is stellar...lurking in the shadows. I will have to promote him to the front for a photo op ... if I am quiet and do not stir the water he may not protest too much.

I have a large collection of single malts...they tend to last forever as I am a bit of a malt light weight ... have to be up before the sun most days and that precludes more that a wee dram.

And yes ... the guys in my rotating dinner bible study do like it when we host!:ROTFL:

Regards,

Bob

Barry Haines

Thank you Barry!

It is a little less garish than the previous...when I have time there is a trout that is stellar...lurking in the shadows. I will have to promote him to the front for a photo op ... if I am quiet and do not stir the water he may not protest too much.

I have a large collection of single malts...they tend to last forever as I am a bit of a malt light weight ... have to be up before the sun most days and that precludes more that a wee dram.

And yes ... the guys in my rotating dinner bible study do like it when we host!:ROTFL:

Regards,

Bob
Hi Bob
I only have a few SM’s that I keep at a time, otherwise my friends would never go home to their wives.
I have a penchant for peaty Ardbegs personally with a little water if cask strength.
Good luck with coercing your trout in front of your lens or better still onto your dinner plate.
Cheers Barry

A quick snap...High ISO A7R handheld...It’s late here in the UK - Poor light

Edit...Single Malts not Pure Malts.

Last edited:

jfirneno

If I am reading you correctly the LA-EA3 doesn't have a TM (I must admit I thought it did)...Thanks again Barry
Hello Barry:

That correct. No TM. For Sony lenses with in lens motors (as opposed to screw drive mechanical autofocus) the LAEA3 actually provides autofocus capability (although a very slow version). With mechanical autofocus lenses it works as if you had the lens in manual. Everything else is as if it was with a native lens.

Regards,
John

jlm

Workshop Member

Michiel:

i see a Rita McBride sculpture in the museum shot (the coffee table size "Parking Garage") it was made in my shop in Brooklyn several years ago!

Last edited:

pegelli

Barry, I "liked" your Single Malt shot, more for the content then the picture really

Personally I'm a big fan of Talisker and Highland Park

Status
Not open for further replies.