The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Fun With Sony Cameras

Status
Not open for further replies.

Michiel Schierbeek

Re: Fun with the Sony A7 and A7r series

Table and plate look allright to me. Just shuffle the highlight slider, may be locally, to the left and you're all set.
(Less is a lot more work) :ROTFL:

dwood

Barry, are you overexposing your buns again? :ROTFL::ROTFL::ROTFL:

pegelli

Re: Fun With Sony _____

Looking down x2

I had great fun in "Gardens at the Bay" in Singapore

Both NEX6 + Olympus OM 85/2

Michiel Schierbeek

:cry: since I can't post in the "fun with A7" thread, I have to post my response to Michiel over here

In Singapore they have opponents as well :toocool:

NEX6 + Olympus OM 85/2
Nice Pegelli! Like the Silver diner pics as well. Are you racing around the globe?

pegelli

Nice Pegelli! Like the Silver diner pics as well. Are you racing around the globe?
Thanks Michiel, and yes I do. I work for a global company and get to travel some, mainly east and sometimes west. There's disadvantages, but visiting and taking photographs of far away places is one of the rewards.

Leigh

Boy oh boy!...You workshop members are hard to please. :ROTFL:
SAME EXPOSURE...But improved highlight detail raw processing.
(Yes, I had to start all over again with the Mk2 version...No requests this is the final version as I have a busy day ahead looking after my parents).
Cheers Barry

PS. If that still looks overexposed by a stop, please recalibrate your monitor as mine was done only yesterday.
Barry,

Forgive me if I refrain from commenting on your buns, :shocked:

However, your Mk2 rendering shows detail in the highlights on my calibrated monitor. Looks fine.

- Leigh

G43

I think both works with a + for the color version.

The image doesn't show color contrasts that would make the choice obvious, but soft brownie warm tones, hence the B&W door is open.

Barry Haines

Apologies for not coming back sooner, I had a lot to sort out yesterday with my parents.
Oh my, what a lot of assumptions, all very interesting and I do welcome feedback and comments as where would we be without them! So thank you one and all.
(Particularly thought yours was funny Doug... “Barry, are you overexposing your buns again? ROTFL” Nice one, how I chuckled my friend :ROTFL:)
First of all this was never meant to be a serious image, it was just a bit of ongoing friendly fun teasing banter between Michiel and myself + anybody else that wanted to join in, his straw rolls and my bread roll.

Thank you Leigh, nice to know that somebody elses monitor agrees with mine. :thumbs:

First up comes a comment from jlm...”overexposed about a stop”. No explanation or supporting evidence just a fairly bluntly put message. :(:(:(
Then I came up with Roll Mk2 as I did feel it could have been better processed in the highlights to bring out the detail further :) - But still using the same “EXPOSED” DNG file, this was also met with more of the same non supporting evidence from jlm :(:(:(....”definitely shows more detail in the hot spot of the bun, but i could use even more. not so much a monitor calibration as blown highlights. (I use a well calibrated Eizo CG 241, by the way)”.
Well now it seems that I have not only over exposed by about a stop, I have also blown out the highlights as well! Oh and I must be wrong because I’m not using a Eizo CG 241!
This frankly just isn’t true at all! As I have never shared with you the original files for you to play with - I do not have an Eizo monitor but I can still read and work a histogram.

For those that can even be bothered (and frankly why should you! :sleep006::sleep006::sleep006:), please see my Flickr photostream, for histogram supporting evidence of NON blown highlights. :thumbs: http://www.flickr.com/photos/54602555@N08/
Input ARW/DNG file (i.e. As Shot – ACR default setting – Untouched straight from the camera) which I worked from + The Output file Roll Mk2 with grey/white frame removed together with the white text so as not to confuse the histogram reading.

jlm...Talking of blown highlights, I will just add that I think your criticism comes a little bit hard for me to swallow :poke: when you yourself upload an A7R image to GetDPI like this, Dsc0095web - GetDPI Image Gallery
It will be interesting to see if you leave it there for others to see or simply remove/replace it...I think the saying goes something like this “People who live in glass houses shouldn't throw stones”. Although mine wasn’t burnt out and yours is most definitely.

G43...”One stop lover and the white plate drowns in noise”....The discussion was about the exposure, not the noise, I do hope that was a typo “One stop lover” otherwise I do find that a little offensive. The noise in this particular instance has absolutely nothing to do with a badly exposed image in the first place because it wasn’t! It’s solely to do with the post processing that I applied deliberately later on by blending a B&W image Nik SE2 (Preset 024 Full contrast and structure to be precise – A highly grainy preset indeed) with the original coloured image and then re-saturating with vibrance to get a particular effect that I was after.
I agree entirely with “Exposure for the highlights. Spot metering, small spot. Then let the darks fall where they fall.” That is what I do but your assumption that the noise came from the bad exposure in the first place was simply wrong in this particular instance, it’s entirely due to the Nik SE2 preset.

BTW - UK Supermarket rolls are notorious for being well browned off on the top, yet quite anaemic on the sides and underneath as anybody will tell you here in the UK.

Werner I much prefer the B&W image again...Cheers Barry

PS. I’m off to Devon in a little while, so I won’t be replying until later on.

Michiel Schierbeek

Barry, as they say in Holland; it is all a storm in a glass of water.
The photo did stimulate my apetite, so it must be good.

Here's some fresh air from Italy.

Barry Haines

Barry, as they say in Holland; it is all a storm in a glass of water.
The photo did stimulate my apetite, so it must be good.

Here's some fresh air from Italy.

I totally agree:thumbup:, lets move on (no more rolls of any description) I'm off to Devon to take some snaps...Nice shot...Cheers Barry

dwood

Thought that might bring a smile or two, Barry.

Hoping your parents are well!

G43

G43...”One stop lover and the white plate drowns in noise”....The discussion was about the exposure, not the noise, I do hope that was a typo “One stop lover” otherwise I do find that a little offensive. The noise in this particular instance has absolutely nothing to do with a badly exposed image in the first place because it wasn’t! It’s solely to do with the post processing that I applied deliberately later on by blending a B&W image Nik SE2 (Preset 024 Full contrast and structure to be precise – A highly grainy preset indeed) with the original coloured image and then re-saturating with vibrance to get a particular effect that I was after.
I agree entirely with “Exposure for the highlights. Spot metering, small spot. Then let the darks fall where they fall.” That is what I do but your assumption that the noise came from the bad exposure in the first place was simply wrong in this particular instance, it’s entirely due to the Nik SE2 preset.
Did not want to offence you Barry. Sorry if I did :eek:

It's difficult to distinguish between eventual less optimal exposure and the outcome of preset filters. I did not catch the image was processed and applied preset filters.

I like the tone in the image you've chosen BTW.

jlm

Workshop Member

for god's sake barry, take it as my own personal view, not a negative criticism of your abilities. and who cares if an image has 100% non-blown highlights.
can't believe you went to the trouble to wade through my images to counter attack, and i only mentioned the monitor i use because you brought it up

most on the forum welcome criticism and comment; I will refrain from any further comments on your work

and for all to see and comment on, a shot from the first days i had the A7r!

my comments: wish the focus had been on the red cup with more depth of field, color balance seems a bit off, too much dynamic range to not blow out the wall, but it may have been better if not over exposed one stop and the shadows brought up

Last edited:

Steve P.

There appears to be a disturbing absence of fresh bread in this image, although I do perceive the presence of crumbs, bottom left.Tell the truth jlm; did you eat the roll? Did you?:eek:

Last edited:

jlm

Workshop Member

actually the shot was an homage to Guy and his need for espresso; and yes those are toast crumbs!

the morning light was pretty warm, so maybe the color balance is ok

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor

I need a cup now. Lol

I go through this thread everyday and I am amazed at the images you folks are posting. I don't comment as often as I should on the great work but I truly am impressed and also I love the participation you all are involved in. BTW constructive criticism is good it really helps you learn even if you can't always pull a image off yourself sometimes that does not mean your opinions are invalid. Not in the least, sometimes I'm a much better director of shooting than actually doing it myself. Its unfortunate for me sometimes I'm just not out there enough working on my personal work, so I'm jealous you all get to go out and have fun shooting and I enjoy very much what you all post. Remember for most members here this is about fun not making money like I have to do to make a living which is not always fun. LOL

Steve P.

so I'm jealous you all get to go out and have fun shooting and I enjoy very much what you all post. Remember for most members here this is about fun not making money like I have to do to make a living which is not always fun. LOL
I feel for you Guy... Every time I see your shots of all those catwalk models you get to work with!:poke::ROTFL:

Status
Not open for further replies.