The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Fun With Sony Cameras

Status
Not open for further replies.

roweraay

Re: Fun with the NEX cameras....

Nice, will there be an EVF as well?
There is a rumor that an EVF is very shortly on the way, which wil clip onto the spot where the flash currently attaches. The downside being that you will not be able to use both the flash and the EVF at the same time.

MPK2010

From a recent trip. Most were people photos but here are a few I can post. Not the most scintillating shots but I printed a few out for fun on 13x19 GFS and they look good. NEX + Summarit.

roweraay

From a recent trip. Most were people photos but here are a few I can post. Not the most scintillating shots but I printed a few out for fun on 13x19 GFS and they look good. NEX + Summarit.
Looks good at such web display sizes. How were the corners/edges at full magnification ? Any image degradations ?

MPK2010

Looks good at such web display sizes. How were the corners/edges at full magnification ? Any image degradations ?
After the results I described in the "Available Adapters for NEX3/5" thread a couple weeks ago I've settled into using the Summarit at 5.6 unless I've got a close subject and I'm deliberately going for narrow DOF, in which case I shoot around 2.5/2.8 (like the second shot). At 5.6 the corners are fine; a little softer than the center but not smeared. Wide open with a subject at middle- (rather than close-) focus distance I sometimes get odd bokeh towards the edges; but I have not been using the combination of mid-distance focus and wide-open much. Even at 5.6, I prefer the color and rendering of the Summarit to the kit lens, although it's just a matter of taste and the kit lens gives great results at a lot of focal length/aperture combinations, as I noticed when I took a look at some RAW files.

FWIW, on the 50 Summicron things are good across the board, although f/2 seems a bit flatter than it should be; flatness is gone at 2.5 and up.

Last edited:

MPK2010

Sounds good. I can certainly live with good corners at f5.6.
I'm out of town again but if the Summarit makes you or anyone else's final short list for the NEX, I'm happy to send people a few RAWs to check it out more closely. Looks like there are a few other good 35mm contenders and Photokina coming up, but I'm satisfied for now.

sebboh

processed my first shots with apple's aperture and the sensor looks very impressive. it seems like i can get about 2 stops of highlight recovery and the high iso looks very good. i would have no problem printing large with iso 1600 (even high contrast shadowing shots) and 3200 should look very good for 8x10. most of my shots have been of people but here are couple free of faces.

iso 1250 with the pen f 42mm f/1.2 don't remember the aperture:

base iso with the canon FL 55mm f/1.2 at f/2:

roweraay

After the results I described in the "Available Adapters for NEX3/5" thread a couple weeks ago I've settled into using the Summarit at 5.6 unless I've got a close subject and I'm deliberately going for narrow DOF, in which case I shoot around 2.5/2.8 (like the second shot).....
Great ! Thanks for the feedback.

jonoslack

processed my first shots with apple's aperture and the sensor looks very impressive. it seems like i can get about 2 stops of highlight recovery and the high iso looks very good. i would have no problem printing large with iso 1600 (even high contrast shadowing shots) and 3200 should look very good for 8x10. most of my shots have been of people but here are couple free of faces.
I'm doomed

wayne_s

Sebboh,
Thanks! Pls. post more shots processed through Aperture.
Although hard to tell with the lighting in these shots but it looks like all the fine detail smearing that I have been seeing done by the camera jpeg engine is gone and looks much better. Can you post an image taken with RAW and Jpeg and show the difference between the two?

sebboh

Sebboh,
Thanks! Pls. post more shots processed through Aperture.
Although hard to tell with the lighting in these shots but it looks like all the fine detail smearing that I have been seeing done by the camera jpeg engine is gone and looks much better. Can you post an image taken with RAW and Jpeg and show the difference between the two?
yes, fine detail at 100% is definitely much better using aperture than sooc jpegs. i only have those two pictures processed in aperture up now (and they are websized). i will try to do a comparison including 100% crops with one of my old shots (i'm only shooting raw now) when i get home.

emr

Hi. I wonder if any NEX user noticed my HDR question? Is the in-camera HDR done the usual way with bracketing so that in practice a tripod is a must?

Thanks.

Thanks for posting everybody. This is definitely an interesting thread with some marvelous photos. I'll probably buy an EVIL/MILC/SLD/whatever acronym camera later this year and let's say that NEX-5 is very close to the top of the list. (If only Pentax would bring a camera with proper support for my DA ltd lenses...).

However, I'd like to ask about how does the in-camera HDR work in practice? I know with some cameras you bracket three different exposures and usually have to use a tripod to get decent results. Is that the same with NEX or have they developed something more clever?

simonclivehughes

No, it is handheld. The camera shoots at 7 fps, so unless there's significant movement, it works without a tripod.

Cheers,

Terry

Hi. I wonder if any NEX user noticed my HDR question? Is the in-camera HDR done the usual way with bracketing so that in practice a tripod is a must?

Thanks.
Whoops, saw it before but couldn't answer. No you do not need a tripod for either the HDR or the bracketing.

First up, HDR is only available in jpeg mode (you must turn off raw - firmware bug that hopefully will get fixed). HDR allows for 6 different levels of EV. It takes three shots and returns to you two shots. The "middle" normal exposure plus the HDR exposure.

The shots are taken in rapid fire (the camera can do a 7 shots per secon burst - to give you an idea of how fast). So you can indeed handhold and not worry about motion between shots.

As for braketing - unlike HDR the bracketing is only for 2/3 EV max in either direction for three shots so a lot less bracketing lattitude. However, like HDR it is fast rapid fire so again you can get away with a handheld bracketed exposure.

wayne_s

Whoops, saw it before but couldn't answer. No you do not need a tripod for either the HDR or the bracketing.

First up, HDR is only available in jpeg mode (you must turn off raw - firmware bug that hopefully will get fixed). HDR allows for 6 different levels of EV. It takes three shots and returns to you two shots. The "middle" normal exposure plus the HDR exposure.

The shots are taken in rapid fire (the camera can do a 7 shots per secon burst - to give you an idea of how fast). So you can indeed handhold and not worry about motion between shots.

As for braketing - unlike HDR the bracketing is only for 2/3 EV max in either direction for three shots so a lot less bracketing lattitude. However, like HDR it is fast rapid fire so again you can get away with a handheld bracketed exposure.
Processing pipeline/storage to flash engine probably can't keep up with writing RAW and JPEG for a 7 shots per second burst that is why they probably have you turn off RAW for HDR.

Terry

Processing pipeline/storage to flash engine probably can't keep up with writing RAW and JPEG for a 7 shots per second burst that is why they probably have you turn off RAW for HDR.
The annoying part isn't that you can't do an HDR RAW it is simply that you have to go into the menu and change your RAW or RAW + jpeg to just jpeg. Conversly when shooting a Pano even though the camera only gives you jpeg if you have RAW set it doesn't make you go into the menus and change it. Changing the setting to HDR should automatically signal the camera that it is jpeg only. Once out of HDR mode it should default back to your normal setting.

That being said what would be best is instead of the camera giving you back the middle exposure as a jpeg and the HDR, the middle exposure should be saved as a RAW (if you have the camera set to RAW) and then the normal three shot HDR jpeg. This really would be ideal.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.