The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Fun With Sony Cameras

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jim DE

Re: Fun with the NEX cameras....

roweraay, The examples on that site would not show the full effect of smearing issue's effectively because the objects around the perimeter are closer than the focused objects in the center. I accidently did the same thing when checking my 28mm (which smears at wide open aperture and infinity focus so if you "could mount" the 21mm and "focus to infinity" at wide open aperture, it definitely extends further rearward on the lens, so smearing would near be a given IMO) I shot at a woods but had trees closer on both sides and smearing was not as obvious till I shot with the whole line of trees at the same distance and at infinity.

I wish I could read it but from what I see the scenic which shows smearing on both lower corners was shot at F4. The shot across the roof top was shot at F8 and the sailboat shot was at 2.8 but you really can't tell anything about the shot with the vignetting. If I faced odds at a poker table like the odds the 21 (if you get it mounted without interference) smears I would go all in with great confidence and a smile.

Seeing the color shift and vignetting I am feeling much better my 21mm doesn't fit without interference fix or not. That lens is breathtaking on a Contax G with slide film. I hate to see it portrayed like it is on that site.

Last edited:

Ken, I don't think I have seen one lens 28mm and under in RF lenses that hasn't smeared. My 28 Contax G smears wide open and at infinity but I work around it with smaller apertures and avoiding infinity focus composition. I just like the 42mm perspective it affords me.
hmm I might pick up the cv21 and sell it if surprises at photokina for the nex come about - I'd love a 35mm equiv at least at 2.8.

roweraay

Seeing the color shift and vignetting I am feeling much better my 21mm doesn't fit without interference fix or not. That lens is breathtaking on a Contax G with slide film. I hate to see it portrayed like it is on that site.
Based on your recommendation, I might just add a G2, just to use the lens the way it was originally designed to be used. :D

I have never shot rangefinders (only SLRs) and hence this will be a new experience, if I finally decide on going down this path.

Jim DE

Some would argue that the Contax G's are rangerfinder's at all ;) but I will say they are great light collectors for a 35mm film camera with excellent lenses. Look at the site Contax G pages. You may want a G2 after that for that 21mm. Especially look at the landscape gallery.

roweraay

Some would argue that the Contax G's are rangerfinder's at all ;) but I will say they are great light collectors for a 35mm film camera with excellent lenses. Look at the site Contax G pages. You may want a G2 after that for that 21mm. Especially look at the landscape gallery.
My only concern is that I have not shot film in over a decade and for all intents and purposes, have completely transitioned away from it. Digital is so damn convenient and the A900 is just a superb Full-frame camera. :eek:

If the Contax G came in digital, then I would not even think twice about it. As it stands, I will have to think this over.:(

Jim DE

"If the Contax G came in digital" you and a thousand other people! But this is how I am using the NEX as sort of a digital lightbox for my Contax G glass and loving it! The fun is back in photography for me now in seeing the results this glass has in a digital format. The NEX allows so many various lens systems to join together on one camera it is truly the wild card in the deck. I have had a bunch of camera's for me the NEX is a keeper as is the Contax G2 ;)

roweraay

"If the Contax G came in digital" you and a thousand other people! But this is how I am using the NEX as sort of a digital lightbox for my Contax G glass and loving it! The fun is back in photography for me now in seeing the results this glass has in a digital format. The NEX allows so many various lens systems to join together on one camera it is truly the wild card in the deck. I have had a bunch of camera's for me the NEX is a keeper as is the Contax G2 ;)
Agreed. I took a peek into the Contax G pages site, and to be quite honest, found it a fairly lonely place....almost a ghost town (or a place where tired 90+ year olds gather to talk of the good old times), in comparison to the sheer dynamism in some of the other digital oriented sites or even sites that cater to the M mount products. :(

Seems like products like the NEX are starting to give a new lease of life to those good old Contax G lenses. I just hope that my upcoming 21mm will not have any problems, and will work okay with the adapter.

Terry

Numbers speak louder than words, and those numbers say a lot! Very interesting as well as encouraging. Can't wait to get back on my feet again so I can get out and start shooting the NEX5. Thanks for the inspiration.

Bill
Very interesting. While my NEX has been getting a lot of casual use, it is striking to see that kind of breakdown for a photography-oriented trip where you have an A900 with you. Based on the 4-star reference, I would have to assume that the NEX has functioned as far more than a social camera.
There were a number of situations where the NEX was extremely useful in the field.
I was trying to take some shots at a castle and in order to minimize distortion I really wanted to get the camera as high as possible (on tripod). With the NEX I could get tripod to max height and tilt screen downwards for framing focus:

We went to Skellig Michael which is an island about 8 miles off the coast. A small kit was better for the boat ride and trying to shoot while moving. Once on the island it is a big climb without handrails again a smaller light kit useful.

On Great Blasket Island they have put up some green fencing to protect some of the cottage ruins (not sure if it is permanent). The best way to shoot these is from a low angle and the NEX was the correct choice because I coulees lean over the fence hold camera low and tilt the screen up.

If the A900 had live view and a tiltable screen, my results might have been different in terms of the shooting stats but I still love having a flexible small system side by side my DSLR

Ross Castle

On the boat to Skellig Michael - Little Skellig a large Gannet bird colony

Skellig Michael looking back to Little Skellig and the mainland

Great Blasket - you can see a bit of fencing on the right bottom corner

Last edited:
S

Shani Clinton

re: Fun With Sony _____

I like the Colorado most.
The most stylish and attractive metallic look.

Shani.

V

Vivek

On a different note the size of the A33 looks really intriguing. The NEX 5 is tiny so the "rumored" A33 has to be minuscule for a dslr body....

It supposedly has a high resolution EVF so viewfinder size won't be an issue.

Put this in perspective with a more normal sized dslr

That is about the size of a Nikon D40x/60 (may be a tad smaller).

Wonderful light in your Ireland pictures, Terry. I should visit your collection (any link?).

N

newworld666

I just made some tests of the sony 18-55 zoom compared to an old canon FD50F1.4 and a samyang 14F2.8 .. all at F5.6 ... and i was surprised that the zoom was not that bad at 18mm but very weak at 55mm
Jaust ome samples of 2 weeks test.
NEX5+Zoom @55F5.6 crop

NEX5 [email protected] crop

NEX5 + zoom @18mmF5.6

NEX5 + Samyang 14F2.8 @ F5.6

As a wide angle the zoom in real life more than acceptable and difference is not really significant at all with a sharp samyang

NEX5 + zoom @18mmF3.5

NEX5 + samyang 14F2.8 cropped at 18mm equivalent

as a small joke I tried to get a small non scientific comparison between a 50D+EF85L1.2II and NEX5 + FDL1.2 .. all at F1.2 ..
after many tries, I would say these too samples represents best of what I could get with the 50D (all manual focus, timer on, mirror up)

NEX5 + FD85L1.2

50D + EF85L1.2II crop

So my conclusion is that as manual focus there is a big gap in favour the NEX5 body ....

Terry

That is about the size of a Nikon D40x/60 (may be a tad smaller).

Wonderful light in your Ireland pictures, Terry. I should visit your collection (any link?).
Thanks Vivek,
I'm headed back to the US now but won't get in until you are snoozing. I hope to have the whole collection up over the weekend and will provide a link.

It seemed to me like the a33 was really tiny and the 550 was more the size of the D40. The A33 can't really be any larger than a G1/2gH1 from the side by side with the NEX

Last edited:
N

newworld666

Then I made some tests in real life situation .. and I am completely pleased with the NEX5+FD50F1.4 and FD85L1.2 ... but I want to get a better alternative for wide angle (around 24/30 mm)
with 85L1.2

with 85L1.2 in the night

indoor with 85L1.2

indoor with a 50F1.4

with an old Helios 44M2 (unfortunately I can't get infinite focus)

outdoor with a FD50F1.4

I love results with the FD85F1.2, but with FD50F1.4 is stays really compact, ultra sharp and 24hours a day usable with easy Manual focus

even more compact than the ultra soft zoom at 50mmF5.6

Hd pictures by clicking on them

V

Vivek

Thanks Vivek,
I'm headed back ton the US Noe but won't get in until you are snoozing. I hope to have the whole collection up over the weekend and will provide a link.
I look forward to it.:)

jonoslack

Lovely Rose Vivek
Terry - great shots - love the shot from the boat especially
Have a good trip home.
all the best

V

Vivek

A strong shot Espresso is in order, Jono. :ROTFL:

That fabulous shot is from newworld666.