The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Fun With Sony Cameras

Status
Not open for further replies.

jonoslack

Re: Fun with the NEX cameras....

A strong shot Espresso is in order, Jono. :ROTFL:

That fabulous shot is from newworld666.
I need more than espresso this morning I'm afraid . . . still a lovely shot though - even if you didn't take it!

retow

I was traveling for a few days with MP, Cron 28, Lux 50 asph, NEX5 with 16mm and m-adapter. All in all a great travel combo. A few with the NEX and 16mm.

Last edited:

roweraay

If the A900 had live view and a tiltable screen, my results might have been different in terms of the shooting stats but I still love having a flexible small system side by side my DSLR
Great pictures Terry. :thumbup:

I wonder if the below, would have been useful on the A900, under the conditions you described (overhead shooting etc):

http://www.zigview.co.uk/seculine-zigview-s2-typeB-remote-viewfinder.htm
http://www.zigview.co.uk/seculine-zigview-s2-typeC-remote-viewfinder.htm

Seems like it is a bit pricey but well worth it for such situations, I presume ?

Terry

Great pictures Terry. :thumbup:

Seems like it is a bit pricey but well worth it for such situations, I presume ?
Woohoo I'm somewhere over Maine and the wifi service has just kicked in. Looks like an interesting product. As you say, pricey. Adding the NEX to my camera bag is a breeze and gives me a "social" camera at the same time so I'm pretty darn happy to have it.

roweraay

After thinking things over and the potential issues with the 21mm Biogon and the NEX-ContaxG adapter, I called up KEH, and when they stated that the 21mm has not shipped out, I asked them to cancel the shipment. I have also written to the guy in China/HK about cancelling the adapter's shipment and still awaiting his response on that. I guess for now, I will stick to the M-mount lenses, even if they are a bit pricier.

So if someone is interested in an EX+ Contax G 21mm f/2.8 Biogon (with finder), it will most probably appear at the KEH site by tomorrow. Seems to be a rare bird, in any case.

fotoingo

Subscriber Member

Here are some pictures featuring the Nex 16mm and my Contax G-Lenses.

No tripod used.

--
BTW : There are coloured corners with the 28mm Contax too. (Not only with the 21mm)
--

Last edited:
V

Vivek

Woohoo I'm somewhere over Maine and the wifi service has just kicked in. Looks like an interesting product. As you say, pricey. Adding the NEX to my camera bag is a breeze and gives me a "social" camera at the same time so I'm pretty darn happy to have it.
Terry, One word- avoid. You would be sorely disappointed.

I bought a version of this several years ago and I can assure you that the "live view" isn't live at all when compared to the NEX or the superlative G1 (why I keep saying that the EVF and the swivel LCD alone are worth the original prices of a G1).

Terry

Ingo, these look very good. Were they straight handheld shots or did you use the hand held twilight mode?

roweraay

Terry, One word- avoid. You would be sorely disappointed.

I bought a version of this several years ago and I can assure you that the "live view" isn't live at all when compared to the NEX or the superlative G1 (why I keep saying that the EVF and the swivel LCD alone are worth the original prices of a G1).
I have not tried this yet, but their literature states that the refresh rate is 25FPS or thereabouts, which should be good enough, I guess, for static or other non-fast-moving subjects ? When you say you bought this several years back, was it the same thing or was it an earlier version that was cruder and did not perform as well ? Do you know if the new version is the same as the one you tried or has there been any changes since then ? Just curious, since I was planning to pick one of these up and needed to have some additional perspectives on this from people who have tried this out.

Either way, this was a suggestion made for the A900 (100% OVF), which does not have a tilting/swiveling screen, nor live-view in any shape or form. The A900's 100% OVF is larger/brighter than even the 100% OVF employed by the Nikon D3S or D3X, but the camera itself does have the shortcoming of not being suitable for overhead type shots.

roweraay

Here are some pictures featuring the Nex 16mm and my Contax G-Lenses.

No tripod used.

--
BTW : There are coloured corners with the 28mm Contax too. (Not only with the 21mm)
--
These look really good ! :thumbup: Also, the color shifts in the corners are probably an effect of the edges not being able to gather light, due to the extreme angles involved, when focused at infinity.

Terry

I got back to the US this AM and just got off the phone with Sony. I took two NEX's with me. At the beginning of the trip one of the cameras started acting a little "wonky". Even when something was very overexposed it was not flashing on the screen. I can go into manual mode and totally blow out the highlights and again it doesn't flash on the screen. I can do the exact same thing with the second camera and all is fine. Also when I was bringing the massively overexposed files into Lightroom they weren't showing anything blown at 255 but stopped short at 251-254. I reset the camera a couple of times but that didn't help.

So, it is being shipped off to Sony this AM and I will keep you up to date with what the service department has to say.....

p.s. They wanted me to ship it without a lens.....I chuckled and said that would be much easier if I had a body cap :D :rolleyes:.

ustein

Contributing Editor

HDR at very bad light situation (2/3 EF bracketing is not much). Still got it nailed:

Status
Not open for further replies.