The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Fun With Sony Cameras

Status
Not open for further replies.

fotoingo

Subscriber Member
Re: Fun with the NEX cameras....

Ingo, these look very good. Were they straight handheld shots or did you use the hand held twilight mode?
No Twilight mode used. Just normal handheld. Mostly at f2 till f4.

These look really good ! :thumbup: Also, the color shifts in the corners are probably an effect of the edges not being able to gather light, due to the extreme angles involved, when focused at infinity.
Thank you to both of you.
Yeah, that is my guess too. The colour shift comes from the very rounded glaslens ath the inner end of the 28mm.

Here are some more pictures from the "Cranger Kirmes":

?Contax G 45 mm?

Sony NEX 16mm f16

(this one was shot with using a fence for a steadier shot) Contax G 90mm

(this one too was shot with using a fence for a steadier shot) Contax G 90mm

And the last one. (also using the fence) Contax G 90mm

Jim DE

roweraay, I think you made a wise decision on canceling the 21mm order

I have not experienced a color shift that I have noticed yet with the 28mm, fotoingo. To me your pic's look great but not being there to see the actual colors maybe I could see what you are referring to.

I can't test right now as my NEX5 is headed in for warranty/repair for either dust or a issue with the sensor. I could not see any dust but then again my eye's aren't what they once were either. Either way I wasn't going to try anything more than a magnum blower ball to try and correct the issue. At my age that is as intricate as I get ;)

fotoingo

Subscriber Member

I didnt meant a colour shift on those Kirmes pictures. I havent used the 28mm very much when shooting the pictures so I cant really tell which pics (of all the pics i shot that evening) where actually shot with the 28mm.
But when shooting daylight pictures the 28mm gives me those colour shifts. I mentioned it because in this thread (or the other one (nex+non nex lenses) someone wrote about colour shift with the 21mm.

Jim DE

Here is a Contax G 28 mm @ f2.8 and focused at infinity. You can see the smearing but the colors were right as they were. Just my results outside with my 28mm

This was strictly a test shot I made to test smearing. The various green colors are how they really are back there.

Here is a Contax G 28 mm @ f2.8 and focused at infinity. You can see the smearing but the colors were right as they were. Just my results outside with my 28mm

This was strictly a test shot I made to test smearing. The various green colors are how they really are back there.
thanks for the post, how is it at f/8?

Jim DE

No smearing at all at f8 marginal at 5.6. Inside of infinity focus at indoor distances no smearing at even F2.8.

Smearing seems to show it's face only at or near infinity focus and then only at 5.6 and larger apertures. One can use a sharpening brush on areas of mild smearing and correct most of it even at full open.

barjohn

Even when I magnify the image using the iMac's screen magnification on a 24" montior I don't see the smearing you are talking about. I see the whole image being slightly out of focus but that could be because you went past the actual infinity focus point with a shallow DOF.

Magnified center crop below:

douglasf13

I feel pretty condfident at this point in saying that the CV 35/1.4 has zero issues with smearing. The corners aren't super sharp until around f5.6- f8, but that is the field curvature of the fast lens. If I focus zoom in on the corners at f4 and focus the corners themselves, rather than the center, the corners are reasonably sharp, but at the expense of center sharpness. This is pretty common for fast lenses. Oddly enough, I discovered this because my M adapter focuses past infinity, and focusing the corners slightly past infinity improves them.

Last edited:

Jim DE

Barjohn, Screen magnification always makes things look slightly out of focus as you try zooming in ...... I know my iMac does and this Photobucket rendering is not as sharp as the original image on my network for some reason. Occasionally, I get this on photobucket during the upload process. The point of focus was the back tree line. Look at the upper left and right corners at the leaf patterns you'll see it.... it's there as much as I wished it wasn't because next to my 21mm on My Contax G2 this lens was my next favorite for IQ.

But I still use this lens because I like the 42mm perspective it gives me on the NEX. I just work around by using 5.6 or greater when focused at infinity. No real big deal Though I have seen if you do go past infinity the rear plastic tabs in the lens do make slight contact with the cameras blackout area inside the lens mounting area. You always want to take the lens off with the focus dialed to a closer focus to avoid this possible contact issue

V

Vivek

I have not tried this yet, but their literature states that the refresh rate is 25FPS or thereabouts, which should be good enough, I guess, for static or other non-fast-moving subjects ? When you say you bought this several years back, was it the same thing or was it an earlier version that was cruder and did not perform as well ? Do you know if the new version is the same as the one you tried or has there been any changes since then ? Just curious, since I was planning to pick one of these up and needed to have some additional perspectives on this from people who have tried this out.

Either way, this was a suggestion made for the A900 (100% OVF), which does not have a tilting/swiveling screen, nor live-view in any shape or form. The A900's 100% OVF is larger/brighter than even the 100% OVF employed by the Nikon D3S or D3X, but the camera itself does have the shortcoming of not being suitable for overhead type shots.
Given your requirements, I would still strongly suggest that you check out one in person if possible before paying the money.

fotoingo

Subscriber Member

Here is the red corner from the 28mm f2,8 I wrote about some postings ago.

I you take pictures with cold white balance (like the tree picture) you will mostly not see it. But use a warmer white balance (shadow for example) and it will be there. Not a really big portion of the picture but nonetheless its there. (in my pictures)

------------------------
... I see the whole image being slightly out of focus but that could be because you went past the actual infinity focus point with a shallow DOF.
Or it could be because the lens is not really sharp at f 2,8 on the Nex ;) (in the edges)

Jim DE

Wonder why it didn't show to a degree in the other corners? Are you using their lens hoods? All my lenses except the 21 have the Contax lens hoods and caps with contax uv filters. Maybe there is something there? I usually leave my WB on Auto unless I have a specific need. I just looked through all of them and can't find one that exhibits that trait. In 28, 45, or 90 being as those are the ones I use.

I just got to thinking you may of posted a cropped single corner view so that might be the reason only one corner shows it. Did all 4 corners show it in the pic or only the edge closest to the sun?

fotoingo

Subscriber Member

I use the 28, 35, 45 and 90mm (without filters, hood etc.) and this appears only with the 28mm. The crop above was shot like 5 minutes ago.

I processed the picture the same way with Bibble and the red appears to be less. The former picture was processed with Lightroom...

The sun is more or less in my back but yes the corner is the "nearest" to the sun and it shows the most red in this situation.
The other corners show it too but only a tiny amount and the other lenses dont show it at all.

---Edit--
I attached one more picture which shows the vignetting + the bit magenta in the corners. Especially looks on the bricks of the building.

Last edited:

Jim DE

Thanks fotoingo..... when my NEX5 returns from Larado, TX service center I will do some testing to see if I can recreate it with mine.

What F stop was that shot and does F stop seem to make a difference like it does with smearing?

I use Photoshop CS5/Adobe bridge and now I added Aperture 3 to process RAW files. At first used bridge and the Sony Raw processing program. I really haven't seen this issue but will take shots that will specifically show it if it is there when I can.

sebboh

some more random shots with the NEX-3

pen f 42mm f/1.2:

one from the rokkor MD 24mm f/2.8:

and one from the pen f 38mm f/1.8:

right after i said i wasn't going buy this lens i found one for a little over $50 and couldn't resist.

Status
Not open for further replies.