The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Fun With Sony Cameras

Status
Not open for further replies.

Terry

Re: Fun with the NEX cameras....

Now was this critter inside or outside? Excellent with the shadow and highlights.

V

Vivek

Untitled by Vivek Iyer, on Flickr

Nex-5, 40/2.8 APO Componon, handheld macro (~1.5X magnification), ISO3200, 1/250s

EDit; That was APO Makro Componon 40/2.8

Last edited:
V

Vivek

Jim, While I appreciate your kind words (Thanks! :) ), I must point out that I am not happy with the image.

I adjusted the noise levels manually. The auto noise reduction while it gave a "clean" frame was completely devoid of details.

Even here, the details are lacking. This is entirely because of the NEX sensor and not from the lens.

I will have to check this out further.....

hot

panorama with NEX5 + Samyang 14mm

pano (stitch) with 2x picture Samyang 14mm

1x picture Samyang 8mm

douglasf13

Jim, While I appreciate your kind words (Thanks! :) ), I must point out that I am not happy with the image.

I adjusted the noise levels manually. The auto noise reduction while it gave a "clean" frame was completely devoid of details.

Even here, the details are lacking. This is entirely because of the NEX sensor and not from the lens.

I will have to check this out further.....
Nice shot, Vivek. Interesting about the NEX sensor. Nearly everywhere I read tends to show that the NEX-5 has the most detail from an APS-C Sony yet, and there is even occasional moire, which could mean a very weak AA filter, no? Which raw converter did you use?

V

Vivek

Douglas, Thanks. :)

That (weak AA and moire mush) is a possibility. The lens was not stopped down much (~f/4-5.6). I still can not rule out shake despite the apparent high shutter speed. That is why I am not sure of the source for the lack of details at the moment.

The high ISO sensitivity of the NEX sensor is really impressive.:thumbup:

peterv

Well, Douglas, that sure was in interesting read. :rolleyes:

Especially this quote: ...more evidence to me that if you want to maximize quality, use RAW...

:ROTFL::ROTFL::ROTFL:

V

Vivek

I just ran across these two threads which you might find interesting.

http://www.photoclubalpha.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=49&t=4380
I think that guy may have a point. As of now (after several snaps), I would be very hesitant to use the NEX sensor for macros with any of my lenses.

Even the Tominons are a bit too much for the NEX sensor.

I will just use it for what it is: take it everywhere tiny digital snap back. No more!

Really sad that there is no competition for the m4/3rds in the mirrorless cam arena.

barjohn

Vivek, I am confused and failing to follow this thread. What is it that the camera sensor can't do? I don't have a macro lens but with the 40/2 I can capture extremely fine detail without moire at close range (up to lens distance limit).

V

Vivek

John, "Extremely fine details"? I have a sample of that very same lens and I know how it behaves (I do not have a Leica M adapter for the NEX sensor)

I tried a few lenses with known resolutions (the Zeiss Luminars, for example resolve >200 lp/mm) they give strange results. The same lenses provide outstanding details when using a Panasonic G1 or even the Sony sensored Nikon D300. Also check out the SOM-Berthiot 25/0.95 example I posted earlier in this thread.

Heck, even the hacked G1 with no AA/UV/IR filter stack does not produce such mush. So, it is possible to take care of aliasing even in the absence of an anti-aliasing filter.

I hope Sony would issue a firmware update to fix the nuisance.

Status
Not open for further replies.