The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Fun With Sony Cameras

Status
Not open for further replies.

Terry

re: Fun With Sony _____

Wow Jono that is some dramatic weather. I love the 135 lens but I have such a boring social life I have no victims around to use it on for a portrait lens.

Jim DE

Re: Fun with the NEX cameras....

Vivek, This is a very cropped view of a photo made with a Minolta 100-300 zoom with extension tubes on a NEX 5. I only ever print to 8"x10" and have printed this image which hangs in my den. The lens I used is not known for particularly good resolution but I really can't imagine much better detail than what I see in the eyes of this Dragonfly picture. DOF was extremely narrow ...

jonoslack

Wow Jono that is some dramatic weather. I love the 135 lens but I have such a boring social life I have no victims around to use it on for a portrait lens.
Hah - Don't believe a word of it (about your social life), on the other hand, the 135 is not exactly a dinner party lens :ROTFL: . . . at least, not unless you want to whack someone over the head with it for misbehaving :)

V

Vivek

Vivek, how about same shot same time with NEX and G1.
Terry, Will do. I have to scrub the sensor clean first...:)

Which raw converter did you use, Vivek?
Douglas, The Sony supplied converter.

Vivek, your bee has serious dandruff problem. :)
Yeah. :) Hope your replacement zoom would perform better, John.

Vivek, This is a very cropped view of a photo made with a Minolta 100-300 zoom with extension tubes on a NEX 5. I only ever print to 8"x10" and have printed this image which hangs in my den. The lens I used is not known for particularly good resolution but I really can't imagine much better detail than what I see in the eyes of this Dragonfly picture. DOF was extremely narrow ...

Nice. Hope to see more of your pictures when you get your NEX-5 back, Jim. :)

Bill Caulfeild-Browne

Bill. The spider shot really sparkles. I hadn't thoughtnof the sigma macro. What is the focusing like?[/QUOTE]

Jono,

It's quite fast but like all "cam" mechanisms, not totally silent. I like the lens a lot = its the sharpest Sigma makes, I believe. TX for your comment!
Best,
Bill

LoSenior

Jono,

Thanks for the new picture of Isobel. I'm sure that her personality matches her colorful appearance. Kind of reminds me of when I way living in the SF Bay area in the mid 1960's.

Jerry

barjohn

Vivek, the supplied Sony converter is terrible. You should try LR 3 RC2 (it is a free down load until they release it) or Bibble 5 Pro or Raw Developer 1.8.10. Any of them will do a much better job on conversion and you may find detail that you didn't think was there. The Sony Raw converter doesn't do any better than the JPG converter in the camera and it doesn't compare to the ones listed above.

douglasf13

Yeah, if detail is the goal, Sony IDC is not ideal. RPP and Raw Therapee are among the best around, if you have the patience for their slow, deliberate work flow. If not, more mainstream programs like LR3 will still be much better than the Sony program, in terms of detail. Along with lens choice and sensor, demoisacing is a third of the battle, and raw converters aren't created equally.

V

Vivek

Vivek, the supplied Sony converter is terrible. You should try LR 3 RC2 (it is a free down load until they release it) or Bibble 5 Pro or Raw Developer 1.8.10. Any of them will do a much better job on conversion and you may find detail that you didn't think was there. The Sony Raw converter doesn't do any better than the JPG converter in the camera and it doesn't compare to the ones listed above.
Thanks, John.

There are more pressing problems at hand now and I will revisit the NEX after taking care of them. Despite the compactness cuteness of the NEX sensor, frankly, it isn't all that appealing to use for me. I am not going to sell it like I did the NX10, I have plenty of experiments planned for the NEX-5 sensor.

Hopefully, we will get to see an EVF for the NEX-5 by then.;)

V

Vivek

Yeah, if detail is the goal, Sony IDC is not ideal. RPP and Raw Therapee are among the best around, if you have the patience for their slow, deliberate work flow. If not, more mainstream programs like LR3 will still be much better than the Sony program, in terms of detail. Along with lens choice and sensor, demoisacing is a third of the battle, and raw converters aren't created equally.
Thanks, Douglas.:)

Those experiments will have to wait as well.

jonoslack

Jono,

Thanks for the new picture of Isobel. I'm sure that her personality matches her colorful appearance. Kind of reminds me of when I way living in the SF Bay area in the mid 1960's.

Jerry
Oh! I was a schoolkid in StIves then . . . still a cool place I guess. At anyrate, Isobel is fab.

Here is something I walked past this evening . . . impossible to resist really!

One might almost believe in the almighty :ROTFL:

however, this church has been 'returned to the community' as it were.

roweraay

Agree about the Sony IDC, which is a pretty piss-poor RAW converter. My converter of choice is DXO Elite, but unfortunately they don't have RAW support yet, for the NEX.

Steen

Senior Subscriber Member

Great shot! Anyone know what kind of spider that is?
It has several names: European garden spider, diadem spider, or cross spider (lat.: Araneus diadematus).

Excellent capture, Mr. Caulfeild-Browne :thumbup:

Hank Graber

Minolta 50/2.8 MACRO at 2.8 800 ISO. Thought of selling it as I have the Sigma 70 Macro which is great. But this is really a perfect 50. I think I found my walking around lens. Cheesy plastic construction but small and I love the results.

View attachment 34821

barjohn

I took my 18-55 to the Sony Style store in Costa Mesa along with pictures showing the comparisons between it and the M 40/2 and the poor sharpness, even at center. I also printed pictures of the tests at 55 MM where it was even softer. All of these images were contrary to the DPR test showing the lens to be sharp at 55mm. We did a quick couple of test shots in the store comparing it to the floor sample and one could see it was softer though harder to see on the small screen compared to my big iMac screen or the 8.5 x 11 prints I made. In any case they swapped the lens for me and gave me a new one. Very nice since they had to finagle the system to allow the exchange. I have taken some test shots this evening using the new 18-55 versus the 40/2 and there is a definite improvement in the early testing.

fotoingo

Subscriber Member

@barjohn
Nice to hear they swapped it. I had the same thing happen to me with my first Canon S90. The lens was -really- unsharp and my local store swapped it after I showed them some printed pictures.

Btw: My experience is that the 18-55mm is best at around 35mm. 55mm is not crap but also not really nice. (use f8 for better results) This conclusion is what I also heard many times in my- standard- german forum.

Have a nice day!

barjohn

fotoingo,
So far it appears to be much better. Today I will test on foliage outside that should give me a better idea as that is a tough test on a lens at near infinity. I will post my results when I get a chance. It is still dark outside now and I have to go to work so it won't be for a while.

Status
Not open for further replies.