The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Fun With Sony Cameras

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bill Caulfeild-Browne

re: Fun With Sony _____

There is something about the Sony that I really don't like and this picture shows it well. Perhaps I spent too much time with the DMR (16-bit, no AA), but the pictures from the Sony just look soft and flat to me. The P45+ picture highlights just how much is missing. It's not the glass because I'm using the same lenses as. So far, no amount of post processing has been able to bring out what I think should be in the files.

Well seen regardless. I'm not picking on your image in any way, just voicing a frustration with the camera. Some how I expected a lot more from 25 mp.
Bill, I left this image soft quite deliberately - I felt it imparted a slightly mystical feel.

I'll post another version with some PP.

Best,
Bill

Bill Caulfeild-Browne

Here's a version with some contrast, clarity and sharpening added. (Previous shot was at C1 defaults only).

It can never equal the Phase shot of course - but the gear cost about 10% of the Phase system!

Bill

Last edited:

ecsh

I am seeing a line in the top of the image, do you see that as well?
Joe

RDG

Bill CB,

Rare to approach jackrabbits, even in bad weather, where a 200mm works, although cropping the A900's mp's is a useful tool as well.

Sandhill cranes have a special place as well, we've had a breeding pair nearby in western Nebr. since 2005, the first confirmed nesting since the early 1900s. Biologists suspect the breeding pair are from the western flocks, working east, rather than the eastern birds that stage each March on the central Platte River, bringing birdwatchers from around the world. Friday, on a quick trip into the northern Panhandle, found a total of nine cranes on several wheat stubble fields, still showing the brown that nesting birds paint themselves with, so possibly at least two different family groups. Suspect there is more nesting going on than reported to date.

RDG

Bill Caulfeild-Browne

Bill CB,

Rare to approach jackrabbits, even in bad weather, where a 200mm works, although cropping the A900's mp's is a useful tool as well.

Sandhill cranes have a special place as well, we've had a breeding pair nearby in western Nebr. since 2005, the first confirmed nesting since the early 1900s. Biologists suspect the breeding pair are from the western flocks, working east, rather than the eastern birds that stage each March on the central Platte River, bringing birdwatchers from around the world. Friday, on a quick trip into the northern Panhandle, found a total of nine cranes on several wheat stubble fields, still showing the brown that nesting birds paint themselves with, so possibly at least two different family groups. Suspect there is more nesting going on than reported to date.

RDG
Most interesting! I just came back from a month long trip from Ontario across the Great Plains to Wyoming and then home via Saskatchewan and the north shore of Lake Superior. We saw Sandhills in the hundreds on the Cdn prairies and then several more hundred in Ontario near the north shore of Lake Huron.

We usually have about a dozen breeding pairs here where I live on the Bruce Peninsula - wonderful birds!

Best,
Bill

Last edited:

Steen

Senior Subscriber Member

Here's a version with some contrast, clarity and sharpening added. (Previous shot was at C1 defaults only).

It can never equal the Phase shot of course - but the gear cost about 10% of the Phase system!

Bill
Now it looks fabulous, Bill, and in my opinion even surpasses the Phase shot, resized and webified as they both are.
The Sony colors look much more realistic to my eye, but of course I wasn't there :)

J

Jjcra

Hi everyone. I am a newbie here. I shoot with an A700 can't afford the 900 as of yet. I thought I would share a pic. Sorry for the copy write it's a zenfolio thing

Bill Caulfeild-Browne

Now it looks fabulous, Bill, and in my opinion even surpasses the Phase shot, resized and webified as they both are.
The Sony colors look much more realistic to my eye, but of course I wasn't there :)
Thanks - though as you imply, "webbified" pix are very hard to judge. The Phase shot has way more detail on my 30 inch screen. The shot you see has no pp - just C1 defaults.

The amazing thing is that at small print sizes, say up to 16 by 20, the Sony files really do give outstanding value!

Bill

J

Jamesmd

Las Medulas , Roman gold mines in the north west of Spain , Leon .
minolta af 28 -135

Last edited:
J

Jamesmd

I did with vivezza , I don't have LR

Last edited:
J

Jamesmd

a couple more from Leon , Spain

CZ 85 1.4

Last edited:

fotografz

No argument there! I really do like the Sony and on the whole it is the best 35 mm camera I've owned. I just feel like the images lack real color depth.
IMO, that is that flat Mid-tone thing I've talked about here before. I've since solved it for color files and almost for B&W conversions.

I now have a mid-tone lift action in my PS actions palette that was included in a set from Jeff Ascough that works well as a one click solution with minor tweaks in most cases with the A900 files. :thumbup:

Best 35mm color depth for me so far has been from the Leica M9. WOW!

Back to work ... 1000+ files to process ... Yikes!

viablex1

No argument there! I really do like the Sony and on the whole it is the best 35 mm camera I've owned. I just feel like the images lack real color depth.
I am no pro by any means but there is something off about the look I see with sony pics

A

apras

IMO, that is that flat Mid-tone thing I've talked about here before. I've since solved it for color files and almost for B&W conversions.

I now have a mid-tone lift action in my PS actions palette that was included in a set from Jeff Ascough that works well as a one click solution with minor tweaks in most cases with the A900 files. :thumbup:

Best 35mm color depth for me so far has been from the Leica M9. WOW!

Back to work ... 1000+ files to process ... Yikes!
very interesting, would you share your mid-tone lift processed image, with the original image? thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.