The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Fun With Sony Cameras

Status
Not open for further replies.
D

davemj98

re: Fun With Sony _____

Handheld @900 70-400 maxed out on the high face of El Capitan in Yosemite Valley

D

davemj98

I feel like I killed the longest lasting thread!

Lloyd

:ROTFL: No, just waxes and wanes in terms of visits. Not nearly as much traffic here as on the Nikon, Canon or Leica threads. That is a great shot, btw. Gives me vertigo just looking at it.:thumbup:

Braeside

Thanks for posting that, quite amazing place to be!

For those that don't recognise this, it a loch in Scotland that bears an uncanny resemblance to the map of Scotland.

A900 16mm fisheye

J

Jjcra

A700 and my new/used 70/210
Sorry for the copyright, turned off but still there. sorry

engel001

Two butterflies meet at the Butterfly House on Insel Mainau, southern Germany. A850 with Tamron 90mm macro, Minolta 5400HS flash using the built-in diffuser.

LoSenior

Update on the Kits, we took a walk on the beach this morning and I was able to take a picture of one of the Kits. We think that they are about 5-6 months old.

Regards, Jerry

Terry

Re: Fun with the NEX cameras....

I went out shooting with the NEX 5 and 18-55mm lens today. Took a ride up to the Napa Valley. A bit early in the season for lots of grapes and vineyard shots.

Camera impressions....
So far the interface has not been a bother at all. Very easy to learn and easy to manage. I've only used it extensively for one day so it could take a bit to see if I end up agreeing or disagreeing with DPReview.

Grip - the grip on the NEX5 is deep and makes the camera really easy to hold when not shooting. When shooting my left hand is on the lens.

LCD - Indoors it is a joy. Outdoors (and it was really midday bright sunshine today) it will be hard to do critical manual focus. I didn't try to manually focus.

Focus - I really need to do some work here. Right now I don't trust it. There were a number of shots where I got focus confirm and I could clearly see that what I wanted to focus on was not in focus. For the most part this happened at 55mm/wide open/close focus (macro sorts of shots). The focus box was really small so I need to read the manual to make sure I understand the functionality.

Screen blackout for shot to shot time - I have the preview turned off and seems instantly back in live view. Feels quicker than both Oly and Panny with review turned off but I will test it more.

Shutter - this is going to sound weird but even though it is loud, I love the feel of the shutter movement. Strange.

Exposure - DPReview complained of over exposure. I was shooting in Aperture priority and I think the exposures look very good.

Wake up after sleep - seems really slow. I changed it from one minute to 5 minutes which then was much better because the camera was only going to sleep when it should.

Lens - 18-55 definitely has distortion. Kudos to Panny for their corrections.

Colors - wow to me they look great. Check out the fruit. Spot on colors at ISO 1600

High ISO - wow....this is my best high ISO camera and it gets up there with my D700

Dynamic Range - I am shocked that I wasn't blowing highlights today.

These shots were all jpegs as I don't have RAW conversion in LR yet.

ISO 200 55mm f5.6 1/640

ISO 200 55mm f5.6 1/1000

ISO 200 55mm f5.6 1/640

ISO 1600 32mm f7.1 1/20

ISO 1600 19mm f7.1 1/20

ISO 1250 55mm f5.6 1/100

ISO 1600 18mm f7.1 1/25

ISO 200 18mm f5 1/60 (I am shocked that this isn't completely blown out and you can still see detail inside)

ISO 1600 18mm f7.1 1/20

Last edited:

M5-Guy

What a nice set of sample images you have.
The sharpness is impressive for the kit lens.
The color are really rich.
You don't find the camera design awkward to use?
How do you think it compares to the Oly and Pany offerings in IQ?

Terry

What a nice set of sample images you have.
The sharpness is impressive for the kit lens.
The color are really rich.
You don't find the camera design awkward to use?
How do you think it compares to the Oly and Pany offerings in IQ?
Thanks,
The colors feel good to me but that is what I also love about my A900
Camera doesn't feel awkward at all but I am used to using small cameras and have the GF1 and E-PL1
I had the G2 and E-PL1 with me today but I decided that I couldn't be bothered to do controlled tests. At high ISO the Sony is clearly better. I think the Sony also has more dynamic range and I was able to hold highlights that I think would have been problematic on both the Panny and Oly cameras.

More tomorrow from the Pride parade in San Francisco. It was 85 in Napa and an hour later and 60 miles further south it is 60 degrees....

Status
Not open for further replies.