The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Fun With Sony Cameras

Status
Not open for further replies.

Terry

Re: Fun with the NEX cameras....

Adding some more shots to test other camera/lens functions

Testing the bokeh in a really busy scene - it doesn't swirl (yeah)

Not that easy to get focus on the white in the wind

Lens distortion - yup it distorts + freebie self portrait (LOL)

Skylight torture test (there is glass above hence reflections

Still surprised I held the detail in the curtains

Transition to OOF areas

Yum

Can't wait for the grapes to get bigger I found some good spots for later in the season and a different time of day

Last edited:

barjohn

Terry, I'm impressed! i haven't yet had the time to go out shooting except around the house. I shot some panoramas today and they just blow me away. I'm not quite sure how to post them.

Did you set the jpgs to be sharper out of the camera or did you add sharpening in LR? I too have found the DR to be really good. By the way, If you set the display to sunlight I found in very bright sun today I could manually focus and framing was easy, especially since you can tilt the CD up toward you and hold the camera down lower. I didn't shade the LCD with my body though I could have.

Terry, what exposure mode were you using, spot, center or multi? Outside I found multi worked pretty well but inside I found center to be better though you had a higher chance to blow out highlights which multi did not. However, then I had to change the exposure comp in LR and make other adjustments. There is an amazing amount of latitude in the shots, even in JPG. It will be interesting to see how it behaves in RAW once LR offers a conversion. I haven't tried the Sony converter yet.

Last edited:

jonoslack

congratulations on new toys chaps - I'm impressed Terry (looks like a nice place to have lunch as well!).

Terry - how does the size of the kit zoom compare to the m4/3 zooms?

It really bugs me that none of these cameras come with a 24-xx (something between 69 and 100). My all time favorite zoom is still the lovely Oly 12-60 f2.8/f3.5.

You two have the sublime - I've been playing with the ridiculous (vlux20), but I've been having lots of fun!

Terry

Terry, I'm impressed! i haven't yet had the time to go out shooting except around the house. I shot some panoramas today and they just blow me away. I'm not quite sure how to post them.

Did you set the jpgs to be sharper out of the camera or did you add sharpening in LR? I too have found the DR to be really good. By the way, If you set the display to sunlight I found in very bright sun today I could manually focus and framing was easy, especially since you can tilt the CD up toward you and hold the camera down lower. I didn't shade the LCD with my body though I could have.

Terry, what exposure mode were you using, spot, center or multi? Outside I found multi worked pretty well but inside I found center to be better though you had a higher chance to blow out highlights which multi did not. However, then I had to change the exposure comp in LR and make other adjustments. There is an amazing amount of latitude in the shots, even in JPG. It will be interesting to see how it behaves in RAW once LR offers a conversion. I haven't tried the Sony converter yet.
John,
I didn't sharpen the jpegs except in a few I added clarity which is close. In my export from LR routine I leave it set to sharpen for screen and normal. All of these used multi on exposure.

Thanks on LCD. I had it on auto and will change it today.

Terry

Jono, I will take pics of the kit zooms since I have all three here. I love the metal build of the Sony it feels great but it also has the most distortion.....see shot of the bar shelves.

V

Vivek

Is the cam alone (NEX3/5) available with a body cap?

Martin S

I just bit the bullet, and ordered a NEX5 + "kit lens."

Anyone using RAW????

Are the alpha lens adapters available?? All I see on their website is preorder.

Thanks, and keep all the images coming.

Martin

Terry

Is the cam alone (NEX3/5) available with a body cap?
Funny you ask. As far as I can tell no....and the lens came on camer so no body cap at all. Spoke to Sony on Friday and she can't find one on her parts list to send me one.

Terry

I just bit the bullet, and ordered a NEX5 + "kit lens."

Anyone using RAW????

Are the alpha lens adapters available?? All I see on their website is preorder.

Thanks, and keep all the images coming.

Martin
I haven't used RAW yet don't want to deal with the Sony proprietary.
Yes, adapters should be available. I ordered Friday and surprise mine shows that is is shipping tomorrow. I think they might have most of the stuff in stock now because the 16mm shows shipping along with fisheye adapter.

V

Vivek

Looks like after market body caps are going to be pricey! :eek:

Terry, Can you show some shots using your M lenses?

I think mounting the lens in an m4/3rds adapter, wrapping the camera end of the adapter with a hand kerchief would make it possible to hold the lens to take some test snaps.

Terry

Looks like after market body caps are going to be pricey! :eek:

Terry, Can you show some shots using your M lenses?

I think mounting the lens in an m4/3rds adapter, wrapping the camera end of the adapter with a hand kerchief would make it possible to hold the lens to take some test snaps.
Vivek,
I exchanged emails with jinfinance (ebay) yesterday M adapter should be ready this week.

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member

Looking very good Terry! Seems a logical add-on to a Sony kit. Also, Bouchon -- at least the one in Yountville -- is one of my favorites! The bakery is amazing...

ecsh

All of the samples and user replies so far on this camera prove that DPR has a bone with Sony stuff. They are looking pretty stupid right about now with the review they posted.

Terry

Looking very good Terry! Seems a logical add-on to a Sony kit. Also, Bouchon -- at least the one in Yountville -- is one of my favorites! The bakery is amazing...
That was the one in Yountville. One of my favorite places. I had a Bouchon Bakery in NY just a few blocks from me in NY. I have a yummy baguette and a macaron downstairs.

Terry

All of the samples and user replies so far on this camera prove that DPR has a bone with Sony stuff. They are looking pretty stupid right about now with the review they posted.
Not defending DPReview here but Sony didn't do themselves any favors either
1. They were told they couldn't publish images on launch other sites could
2. They were given pre-prod 16mm that Sony initially claimed were production
3. They were given review units with the wrong firmware and the firmware they tested was 1.03 and it seems we have 1.04

The users will sort it out and see if the camera works for them.

Greg Seitz

Looking good Terry.

I'm finding the camera to be much better than I expected given the reviews I've seen so far. It's pretty quick, very small and light, and the sensor is definitely a step up in image quality from the 4/3rds cameras.

I shoot in either Aperture or Manual priority and the only real gripe I have is that it would be nice to have more direct control over ISO changes. Changing ISO is still pretty quick even though you have to go through the menu to do so.

Here's a few from the local hot air balloon festival. These were shot raw and processed with Raw Developer. I'm definitely seeing more detail in the raw files vs the jpgs.

Terry

Greg -
These look really good. The good news about the reviews is they left us pleasantly surprised when we got the cameras rather than disappointed. LOL.

My box had no rear lens cap or body cap. I called Sony and they were sending a rear lens cap but a body cap is still a mystery part that I can't locate through SonyStyle. I assume the 16mm will have to serve that function. What came in your box?

barjohn

Here is a quick panny shot out my front porch.

Last edited:

barjohn

Terry, I think we are all in that boat. Maybe Sony will take note and fix this in the future and send us all caps on request.

Can you provide the link for the E to M adapter. I would like to order one and see how my M lens works on this camera.

Status
Not open for further replies.