The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Fun With Sony Cameras

Status
Not open for further replies.

barjohn

Re: Fun with the NEX cameras....

Monza, while I am not Terry, I have owned the other cameras so I can render a personal opinion. If I had to rank UI's it would go like this:

1. Ricoh GXR
2. Panny GF-1
3. Sony NEX 5
4. Oly EP-1

However, it is really close between the Panny & the Sony. It depends on how frequently you change ISO settings. Further, it depends on how often you would use special features like panorama or HDR. I have found the Sony pretty easy to use as I don't change ISO that often in normal shooting (not testing for ISO performance). Changing aperture or shutter speed is pretty easy and fast on the Sony as is changing exposure compensation. Formatting a card is a bigger problem because menus don't wrap and it is near the bottom of the menu.

Terry

Terry, what's your assessment of the user interface as compared to the Panny and the Oly?
I feel like I'm waiting for a "gotcha" and so far I haven't really come across anything that I said to myself "now that was really dumb".

I shot this weekend in Aperture Priority with Auto ISO set. I also turned the shooting tips bit off - which then changes the bottom button to move the focus area. On the back of the camera there are three buttons and a scrollable four way controller.

All buttons are contextual but for regular shooting in A Mode
Top button is menu
Bottom button moves the AF point
Middle button changes mode (P,A,S,M etc)

To change Aperture - turn scroll wheel
To change EV - push "down" on four way controller then turn the wheel

It was very simple.

If you don't use Auto ISO, it will take a little more time to get to ISO changes. Need to hit the top menu button. If you aren't there, you need to navigate to the Brightness/Color section and ISO is the 2nd option. Not as fast to get to but not horrendous and I had very good luck with the Auto ISO.

WB is the third item on that list. I shot AWB this weekend and never had and exposure that I felt "wow that was way off".

There are three display modes for when shooting - just shutter speed, f stop and EV. (I have histo and grid lines turned on). The grid lines are very mellow and nice (rule of thirds) and unlike Oly they can peacefully co-exist on all shooting screen. The second display mode I don't like it has a scale for f stop and shutter speed at the bottom. Haven't shot with it. The display I use has all relevant data on the left (drive, metering, focus, etc)

Also three display modes in review....no data, RGB histo and shooting data (with blinking clipping), shooting data no histo. One button push to enlarge. On push to go back in size or scroll wheel to go step by step larger or smaller. I'm still a little fumbly going from shot to shot.

In many instances for me less is more.
On the M8 there were very few controls to fiddle with. Read through the manual once for about 10 minutes and you never really need to look at it again. Loved the simplicity.
On the micro 4/3 bodies (Oly more than Panny) the manual is important as there are so many embedded choices. Oly is pretty atrocious for this however some people love it. For the NEX I'm finding the manual is not really needed although I did consult it a couple of times when back home to make sure what I thought was correct.

Manual focus override is the same as Panny if you half press shutter and turn focus wheel you get an enlarged view. There are three mode (AF/DMF/MF). DMF is what I just described. There is the shoot without lens option (the same as Panny). My Alpha mount adapter should arrive this week. M mount adapters will start showing up on ebay this week. I am expecting wide angle M mount lenses to be terrible.

In operation it is more responsive than the E-PL1 I will have to do some more work to compare it to the G2/GF1.

All in all I was prepared for it to be horrific and so far I think I like it way way, way more than I thought I would. If you like to keep your shooting pretty simple you probably will like it. If you like the E-P1 interface you will probably hate it :D.

I hope that helps.

Last edited:

barjohn

Terry, you did a great job of covering it and I have to agree with your observations completely.

V

Vivek

There is a c-mount adapter (RJ) in the market. That should make it interesting in terms of size (there is also FD adapter, etc).

Given the fact that the NEXs don't have an EVF, the price isn't that attractive compared to the competition. The LCD is more flexible than the EPs but less versatile than the G1/GH1/G2. The G2 looks like a very reasonably priced cam at the moment.

Since there is no EVF available, I will wait for the NEX-7/9 (?). By that time, hopefully, Sony would also make body caps for their cams. :rolleyes:

Steen

Senior Subscriber Member

(...) Since there is no EVF available, I will wait for the NEX-7/9 (?). (...)
+ 1

Why they dont make the NEX5 with a built-in EVF is beyound me ... :confused:

Last edited:

Schmiddi

Well - to me it seem that they wanted for what reason ever (marketing?) the body as small as possible (smaller than sensor didn't work...). Adding an EVF makes the camera "much" bigger... And for the target group (users of compact cameras i.m.o.) LCD-only made and small body made more sense for them.
For me I do hope that they will add a tool like a M9, but without that price tag :D

Andreas

V

Vivek

+ 1

AFAIK, no one has an EVF that matches up to Panasonic's. Samsung's and Olympus' optional EVF are blindingly sharp. So sharp that one can see the pixels rather than the image and other information.

douglasf13

I actually prefer the design of the tilting LCD over the side-swinging style of the G2. It's like a pseudo-waistlevel finder. I'm sure it's just a matter of time before an EVF is available. As for a Nex 7/9, that may very well be just a matter of a long time, but I prefer small as possible for this type of camera.

I'm anxious to see M lens performance. Thanks, Terry!

Joan

Congrats on your new NEX 5 Terry! Wonderful shots of the Pride event, so fabulously colorful. I honestly couldn't guess which camera without reading the EXIF, those from the little camera are every bit as as compelling as the A900's. Great stuff!

jonoslack

In operation it is more responsive than the E-P1 I will have to do some more work to compare it to the G2/GF1.
HI Terry
all great information - is that more responsive than the E-P1 NOW or the E-P1 THEN (i.e. before the firmware updates?)

all the best

Terry

HI Terry
all great information - is that more responsive than the E-P1 NOW or the E-P1 THEN (i.e. before the firmware updates?)

all the best
Corrected my post that should have been the E-PL1. My responsive was not meant to be a comment on AF. It is the overall feel of the camera and how quickly it goes shot to shot, any shutter lag etc. The focus has gotten much much better on the Pens so that really isn't an issue. I have the image review turned off and I feel like the camera is always ready for the next shot instantly. Uwe asked me to test out the bracketing last night. I used my iPhone as a timer and it was consistently taking about 0.5 seconds to knock out a 3 shot bracket. Image stabilization with the 18-55 kit lens seems superb and I haven't yet seen any shots where the blur seemed to come from my movement only subject movement and my restaurant shots are at slow speeds for the focal lengths being used.

PLEASE - I am not saying for you to go out and buy one based upon my findings. You could hate it. I don't like the Pen1/2 interface and you get along fine with it so we could be at opposite ends of the spectrum on the Sony interface.

jonoslack

PLEASE - I am not saying for you to go out and buy one based upon my findings. You could hate it. I don't like the Pen1/2 interface and you get along fine with it so we could be at opposite ends of the spectrum on the Sony interface.
Hi Terry - no need to feel responsible for my disposable income :ROTFL:
I understand what you say about the responsiveness.
As for the pen interface, I don't love it, but the truth is that I use it in Aperture priority or manual almost exclusively - and I don't find it a problem with that and the OK menu - which seems to me to be the way you use the NEX.
The reason I probably won't go for a NEX is that it would be a replacement for the M9 rather than anything else, and I don't need a replacement for an M9!
To be honest, that's why my EP-2 doesn't get used as much as it might - certainly with the panny 20 f1.7, because I'd rather have an M9 with a 35. It does get used a bit more with the 45 PL - for macro and close up (and because I love that lens). The NEX wouldn't replace the EP-2 for that either. Sounds like it might hang about on the shelf a bit!

But I'm certainly interested in your experiences, especially when you say the colour is like that on the A900 (just the very best as far as I'm concerned).

V

Vivek

I am interested in reading what the NEX owners experience (in particular with non Sony lenses with adapters).

I am not going to buy a NEX3/5 because of the lack of EVF (and the price despite that absent EVF).

barjohn

So far, I really find myself liking the NEX 5. I am debating whether to keep my GXR or the NEX as both are excellent cameras. However, I am disappointed that Ricoh has focused on small sensor modules instead of APS-C modules and apparently won't have another APS-C module until December. The S10 module that I purchased is a big disappointment in IQ which means I am limited to the 50 mm focal length and that is too limiting. With adapters the Nex will offer a wide range of lens options. Of course, I would like to see some nice small primes of higher quality. The other thing going against the GXR is the slow AF. However, even more irritating than the slow AF is the tendency for the image to jump after focus is reached and the framing to change. Despite those negatives, the GXR is still a very good and very solid camera. As I get more experience I will make a decision.

Terry

Went out to dinner and decided to test out ISO 6400 and see what I got. These are jpegs, noise reduction set to low, untouched other than resize (with LR sharpen for screen). According to DPReview testing this is really ISO 8000. I'm impressed with the image stabilization on this lens. I have full files and RAWs if anyone wants to play. I think Silkypix might read the RAWs.

36mm f6.3 1/60

18mm f6.3 1/5

55mm f6.3 1/20

18mm f6.3 1/20

18mm f6.3 1/20

22mm f6.3 1/40 ( I think the softness is movement)

22mm f.3 1/30

ptomsu

Workshop Member

Terry,

these shots in low light are really promising! Also the others you posted earlier from the parade, great colors tack sharp, I really start to like this camera.

I currently use the EP2 with 17 an 14-45 lenses, great camera, but for me this is my always carry on cam, so I carry it on all business trips. Found that it is a bit heavy. What is the NEX5 WRT weight like compared to Oly cameras?

I never ever found the EP2 or also the NEX5 as a replacement for an M8 or M9, these are totally different beasts and ways of photography for me. But I find myself getting older and lazier, so I start liking more simple and light concepts more and more. Hope there is nothing wrong :)

Peter

Last edited:

edwardkaraa

I personally do not have a particular interest in the NEX in its current form, but I bought one for my girlfriend with an 18-55 kit. Honestly I don't understand the criticism and fully agree with Terry, the metering is perfect, no blown highlights, the UI is very friendly and logical. It took 2 minutes to figure everything out without reading the manual.

peterv

It's all your fault Terry :)

Went out to dinner and decided to test out ISO 6400 and see what I got.
Okay that does it! :)
Today I'm going to drive 200 km to pick one up.
Thanks for starting this interesting thread Terry.
I'll report back when I've got some shots that are worthwhile.

Status
Not open for further replies.