The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Fun With Sony Cameras

Status
Not open for further replies.

jonoslack

Re: Fun with the NEX cameras....

Terry,

I currently use the EP2 with 17 an 14-45 lenses, great camera, but for me this is my always carry on cam, so I carry it on all business trips. Found that it is a bit heavy. What is the NEX5 WRT weight like compared to Oly cameras?
I'm with Peter on this one, please could we have a side by side shot of the EPL1 with the kit zoom and the Sony with the kit zoom - the kit looks so huge, but I realise that it may be just that the camera is so small.

Sorry to be a pest :p

PS - lovely pride shots - wish I'd been there too.

Terry

I personally do not have a particular interest in the NEX in its current form, but I bought one for my girlfriend with an 18-55 kit. Honestly I don't understand the criticism and fully agree with Terry, the metering is perfect, no blown highlights, the UI is very friendly and logical. It took 2 minutes to figure everything out without reading the manual.
It is hard to know on the over exposure issues. I traded email with the reviewer on this. The cameras shipping in the US are using firmware 1.04 and the tested camera was on 1.03. Until the firmware issues are synched up they can't tell for sure if that was changed. If/when they get the correct firmware version from Sony they will update the review.

S

skywalker

KIPON REALEASED CONTAX G&NIKON LENS ADAPTER FOR NEX,all other 20MODELS WILL BE FINISHED BEFORE 16,Jun.

KIPON COMPANY'WEBSITE,

http://www.dl-kipon.com

Last edited:

jonoslack

Jono

Will take some pics to compare size ASAP
Thanks Terry - I played with one today, and it did seem pretty manageable, but it'd be nice to see the comparison, and I'm sure everyone else would find it useful.
all the best

Terry

Remember this is a public service. Any and all references to being a gear whore are wholly unappreciated. :ROTFL::ROTFL::ROTFL:

I will say it is very hard to translate the pictures to how these feel in hand. The Sony really does feel small even if the lens looks huge. The Hexanon lens on the GF1 is almost identical in size to the Panny kit lens not extended.

jonoslack

Remember this is a public service. Any and all references to being a gear whore are wholly unappreciated. :ROTFL::ROTFL::ROTFL:
It would be quite inexcusable . . . where's the A900?

Well, I'm quite convinced by the NEX - all it needs now is raw support.:eek:

V

Vivek

Mike Hatam says he is a "gear XXXX". Him being a male that is OK.

I do not think such labels on Terry or any of the lady members here would be tolerated.:lecture:

Rawfa

How fast of a camera is the NEx5? The reviews I´ve read say it takes like 3 secs to turn on. How about AF speed? One of my biggest complaints against the E-P1 are dynamic range and AF speed. I´ve read the Gf1´AF is faster than the E-P1´s but not by much. What is your take on the NEX5?

douglasf13

Agreed. The I've been pleasantly surprised by the iPhone 4 camera, considering the size.

T

tokengirl

Terry,

Will you be getting the 16mm lens to test out?

I am curious as all get out. For me, this is an idea focal length for this size sensor. I would like to have a little camera to replace the Canon G10 that my Better Half has purloined, and this might fit the bill. I don't really care about the zoom, I could shoot all day long with a 24mm equivalent lens. I even have the Voigtlander 25mm viewfinder that I could use with it if I get tired of the screen on the back.

Here's what I like about this so far:

1. Small body, easy to take anywhere.
2. Relatively big sensor (much bigger than the G10, but with the same megapixels).
3. Minimum focus distance is just under 10" (can't do that with my M6).
4. Nice colors (I mean the photos, not the actual camera body).

But I am concerned about the quality of the 16mm lens. It's priced pretty darn cheap for such a wide prime. The samples on DPReview don't really tell me much, mainly because they're pretty crappy photos to begin with. The photo of the brick wall was useful though, as it showed than the lens has less distortion than the zoom.

I think I am comparing this to the Sigma DP1X for my purposes. but that wouldn't be quite as wide, and the lens is one stop slower.

surfotog

Does anyone know of an adapter that allows the use of LTM (39mm thread) rangefinder lenses on the NEX?

Terry

I have the 16mm on order but I think it may be a couple of weeks before it gets here. I think it will be way more versatile than the Sigma if you need to do anything in low light. I can guarantee not from use but from all I've read the NEX is a way more responsive camera. Foveon IQ can be incredible but it is limited in ISO capability.

Terry

Does anyone know of an adapter that allows the use of LTM (39mm thread) rangefinder lenses on the NEX?
Stay tuned there are supposedly a bunch of adapters that are going to hit the market in the next couple of weeks.

barjohn

Rawfa, I can give you a relative comparison to GF-1, EP1 and GXR A12.

First on start up times. The Sony is so fast that as fast as i can turn the camera on and press the shutter it captures the shot in focus. Less than 1 sec (maybe around .4 sec). The GXR comes on quickly but one has to wait for it to focus before you can press the shutter button all the way or it is locked out from shooting. ABout 2 seconds shooting same target. I don't have the GF 1 any longer but if memory serves me it is about the same as the NEX. The EP-1 was even slower than the GXR.

AF speed, the Nex is very close to the GF1 with the GF1 perhaps being a tad faster but not enough to make a big difference. Considering the GF1 had been out a lot longer and is much more mature in its firmware this distinction is hardly worth mentioning. The GXR is slow, from the timings I have done it is on par with the EP1 and the Leica X1.

I found the slow AF intolerable in the EP-1 and as much as I like many other facets of the GXR the AF is painful in all but optimum conditions. With the Sony it is ready to shoot when I am.

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member

I will say it is very hard to translate the pictures to how these feel in hand. The Sony really does feel small even if the lens looks huge. The Hexanon lens on the GF1 is almost identical in size to the Panny kit lens not extended.

I am officially coining a new word: GEARWHOREDOM
:ROTFL::ROTFL::ROTFL::ROTFL::ROTFL:

barjohn

Here is a quick shot I took last night at ISO 1600 in very bad tungsten light at 1/8th sec f4.5 and 41mm FL.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.