The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Fun With Sony Cameras

Status
Not open for further replies.
V

Vivek

Re: Fun with the NEX cameras....

I was just out shooting for the whole day. Have lots of images to sort through. When I got home my A to E mount adapter was waiting for me. :D

It is very solid. I was afraid there would be stress on the camera but it seems really well made. My Minolta 24-105 is a bust because the NEX won't adjust the aperture. The 24-70 is shown below. I am NOT planning to walk around with lenses like this but to be able to use the Alpha glass on a tripod was my goal.

I will test it in use over the course of the rest of the weekend.

I get the feeling that tripod head is worth a lot more than the lens cap and the adapter. ;)

Looks like Sony are most suitable to make a 35mm sensored digital back.:thumbup:

Terry

I get the feeling that tripod head is worth a lot more than the lens cap and the adapter. ;)

Looks like Sony are most suitable to make a 35mm sensored digital back.:thumbup:
CORRECT on both counts :ROTFL::ROTFL:

Yes, for this application, the NEX 5 is simply a digital back and exactly what i was looking for. A relatively inexpensive, tiny (no weight) way to provide a backup to my A9000 on a trip. :thumbs:

Joan

Love the panos, Terry. That little camera looks like great fun and a super back-up to your A900.

BackToSlr

It is very solid. I was afraid there would be stress on the camera but it seems really well made. My Minolta 24-105 is a bust because the NEX won't adjust the aperture.
I will test it in use over the course of the rest of the weekend.
Thanks Terry for that. I am curious as to why the aperture won't work on Min 24-105, it has the same aperture linkage as the CZ. Perhaps the 24-105 was seated properly? Have you tried with any other non-SSM lenses?

Cheers,

N

Terry

Thanks Terry for that. I am curious as to why the aperture won't work on Min 24-105, it has the same aperture linkage as the CZ. Perhaps the 24-105 was seated properly? Have you tried with any other non-SSM lenses?

Cheers,

N
Wooohooo you are right it must not have attached it properly. It works. :thumbs::thumbs:

What other small, good to have, lenses are out there?

--

Last edited:

barjohn

By the way, I have been playing with Bibble 5 Pro (5.1.f) and the skin tones look pretty good when working with the RAW files. It is fairly easy to use though it has more adjustments than even LR 3. It also includes lens correction and the Sony lenses are in it but I don't know how well it works yet. I wish LR would hurry up with a profile.
Comparing the JPGs in LR 3, C1 and Bibble 5 Pro is interesting in that the skin tones are very close between LR 3 and C1 with a slight difference with Bibble 5 Pro. There is much more detail that can be pulled when using Bibble 5 Pro and the RAW file.

BackToSlr

Wooohooo you are right it must not have attached it properly. It works. :thumbs::thumbs:

What other small good to have lenses are out there?
Cool, had me worried on that. I will get my adapter soon.

Among zooms, old Minolta 35-70 f4 is a surprisingly good lens, metal build, and less than $50, compact and sharp across the frame (FF too!). I also like the Minolta 135 f2.8 for compact tele. It may be too long indoors (especially on APS-C) but outdoors it is nice. Sony/Min 50 f1.4 is nice too. I prefer it over sigma because it is so compact.

I am considering re-buying the rokkor pancakes, after all the MC-MD to NEX adaptor is available, especially for the video.

from Pete Ganzels tinkering page

BTW - The multi-point metering works insanely well (i think better than the matrix metering), as does spot metering. If only spot metering moved with the flexible focus point, i would be happy.

Cheers,

N

barjohn

By multi-point do you mean the center weighted metering? I only see three metering modes, multi, center and spot.

BackToSlr

By multi-point do you mean the center weighted metering? I only see three metering modes, multi, center and spot.
Sorry, i meant multi point focusing works better than wide area focusing from Axxx series. I need to seriously read before publishing, just as my English teacher said :(

Cheers,

N

Terry

Today I got to give the A mount adapter a whirl with the 16-35, 24-70, 70-300 and 24-105. I'm thrilled! I was looking at the NEX as a camera to put into my bag when I am out shooting the A900 and to see if if could really deliver as a backup that added no extra bulk to my bag. It passed the test with flying colors. It is also really fun to shoot with the kit lens as a walk around camera (it does beg for better glass).
These shots are a combo of handheld and tripod. Obviously getting perfect focus is easier on the tripod which when using it with big Alpha lenses it will be most of the time. I am very impressed with the A to E adapter. The lenses are rock solid and the tripod foot absolutely does its job to lock things down tight. The fabulous LCD (better than the best of the m4/3) allows for very easy precise focus even if pretty bright light.
To hand hold these lenses, I had my left hand under the lenses and adjusted the zoom and focus with that hand then used the right hand on the controls. This will take people some getting used to.

I beg Sony/Zeiss to make some good lenses for the NEX system.
All jpegs with very little processing. Not all of the compositions are perfect and I didn't crop these just straightened a few. Have a look in some of the corners like the leaves on bottom left bench shot (crisp and sharp - I know the lens is further away from the sensor but just making sure) or the rope in the bottom right corner.

Last edited:

fotoingo

Subscriber Member

Hello !
I read this interesting thread and thought I share some pictures from/with the NEX-5 + Adapter + 30mm f2,8 Macrolens with you.

Focussing works nice for normal shots. For Macro you need the magnifier on screen or a tripod (as always)

Have a nice day !

Last edited:

Terry

Fotoingo - Welcome to the forum these look great. How is the handstrap working out with the strap lug pointing the wrong way and further down on the camera? I'll have to check out the 30 macro. It seems pretty small.

V

Vivek

The Sony 30 macro looks gigantic in front of the NEX!

I would also recommend the Minolta 40/2 for compactness. My sample (I think it is typical) is not sharp wide open and is not as sharp as the Minolta 40/2 (Leica M mount).

One worthwhile possibility is the Minolta AF 28/2.8. It is compact (also inexpensive) and is a decent performer. Though, I am not sure how it will fare on the NEXs.

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member

Terry, the last shot of the "Giant Dipper" at dusk is phenomenal!

(For folks that may not know, that is the famous wooden roller coaster at Santa Cruz Beach Boardwalk.)

barjohn

Terry, I'm impressed with these shots. How do you think it will perform with Leica lenses less than 35 mm? If it does as well as the Epson RD 1 this is going to be a very popular camera.

Brian Mosley

Some beautiful examples throughout this thread - thanks Terry.

It's a shame the lenses can't be engineered to a similar scale and quality - perhaps Zeiss will come to the rescue?

Cheers

Brian

barjohn

I just received word from Jinfinance on eBay that the Leica adapter was ready so I have ordered one.

fotoingo

Subscriber Member

Fotoingo - Welcome to the forum these look great. How is the handstrap working out with the strap lug pointing the wrong way and further down on the camera? I'll have to check out the 30 macro. It seems pretty small.
Thank you.
The handstrap works surprisingly well ! You just have to make the strap a bit longer than usual. For me it works very nice.

The 30mm is (together with the 50mm) the smallest Alpha Lens and since it is a more or less 50mm on the Nex I bought it.

I cant wait for the AF to work with the adapter. (via Firmwareupdate)

The Sony 30 macro looks gigantic in front of the NEX!

I would also recommend the Minolta 40/2 for compactness. My sample (I think it is typical) is not sharp wide open and is not as sharp as the Minolta 40/2 (Leica M mount).

One worthwhile possibility is the Minolta AF 28/2.8. It is compact (also inexpensive) and is a decent performer. Though, I am not sure how it will fare on the NEXs.
But the 30mm can be used with AF when the firmwareupdate is ready. ;)
Otherwise I would check your lenses too !

Here are some more pics. This time using the Kitzoomlens.
Sorry for posting mainly macro shots. Other shots will follow (sooner or later) ;)

Last edited:

barjohn

I need some help. First, what metering mode are you all using, especially in high contrast but low light conditions.

Below are 6 shots. The first three taken of the sam object, same lighting, just changing metering modes. It is fairly well lit with a daylight florescent and light from the monitor all reflecting off the white paper. The end of the iPhone connector is the target. The second three shots are taken of a dark corner of my bookcase however, there is the white framed photos toward the edge of the scene that are brighter and reflecting light from outside. Again the three metering modes are used. Yesterday evening I had problems shooting in low diffuse evening light with bright areas in the image.

What do you all use and what do you recommend?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.