The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Fun With Sony Cameras

Status
Not open for further replies.

monza

Re: Fun with the NEX cameras....

I have just done quick tests, to see if it would work. I don't have the Pacific coastline available, you see. :)

BTW I have seen the underexposure in the multi metering mode as compared to center weighted, as mentioned earlier by barjohn, seems to be about a stop under in the shots I did.

Terry

BTW I have seen the underexposure in the multi metering mode as compared to center weighted, as mentioned earlier by barjohn, seems to be about a stop under in the shots I did.

Is there anything you can replicate in the multi-exposure like where there are light sources on the edges? I haven't seen it YET :eek:

V

Vivek

The Pano feature is pretty neat, indeed. Nice examples of the coastal scenes, Terry. :)

Has anyone found a cable/connector for the teeny NEX flash?

Also, is there any indication that something larger will be available in the future?

monza

The Pano feature is pretty neat, indeed. Nice examples of the coastal scenes, Terry. :)

Has anyone found a cable/connector for the teeny NEX flash?

Also, is there any indication that something larger will be available in the future?
Knowing Sony, it's a proprietary connector.

Haven't heard anything about something larger. The only complaint I have with regards to size, is that my fingers cover up the LED which is used for low light focusing. Need to develop a different grip to avoid this.

V

Vivek

Well, the NEX mount is also a "proprietary" Sony mount....;)

monza

True enough. It's just a tad more expensive to tool up for such a connector, as opposed to a mechanical bayonet. :)

BackToSlr

True enough. It's just a tad more expensive to tool up for such a connector, as opposed to a mechanical bayonet. :)
True, but mechanical bayonet is a bit bigger than the width :)

Size got rid of my complaints about a non-standard mount, also the fact that other accessories can go there.

My only complaint is that the add-on flash is not wireless controller for alpha flashes.

N

barjohn

Uwe, Very nice shot and nicely processed.

The exposure in good light is very different in multi which is what makes it frustrating. If it always underexposed by X you could just crank X in but it doesn't.

One other question. In movable point focus mode the small focus square turns into this large dotted green frame around the entire image. I can't figure out what that means. Pressing the option button brings it back so you can move it but once you press OK you have it back. I can't find any reference to it in the manual. Anyone know what is happening?

Monza any 16mm lenses available? If not do you know when you expect to get them?

barjohn

On the focus display, it doesn't matter whether center or spot focus mode is selected. When I point at a poorly lit scene and the camera finds focus it creates the large dotted green rectangle, if I point to a well lighted scene it forms the small center green rectangle on focus. No where is this described that I have been able to find in the manual.

ustein

Contributing Editor

On the focus display, it doesn't matter whether center or spot focus mode is selected. When I point at a poorly lit scene and the camera finds focus it creates the large dotted green rectangle, if I point to a well lighted scene it forms the small center green rectangle on focus. No where is this described that I have been able to find in the manual.
I also have seen it and could not make any sense of it.

monza

Yes, I also have been confused by that.

We have 16mm if you don't mind an NEX3 attached to the back of the lens. :) Otherwise they are supposed to be en route.

U

UK1

Panorama Question

Forgive me if the question shouldn't be here ...... but sometimes you have a question you are bursting to ask but there doesn't seem a perfect place.

My background was originally in selling large main-frame computers. I started so long ago I remember the company I worked for (they painted their computers blue in the factory) celebrating the launch of a 16k processor - up from 8k - and it was water cooled and the whole kit fitted a room and kept a small building warm. To younger people that is around 1 millionth (if my sums stack up) of the power of the processor in your home photo editing PC.

My question is about the wonderment of the panorama shot and how the camera acheives it.

Some years ago I tried software in a PC that you could use to put some pictures side be side and try and stitch them together. In those days before the megapixel most PC's struggled with handling two pictures.

So my question is - how on earth does a camera take all those shots - what 12 or more 5mb pictures, store them all then stitch them all perfectly together, crop the result and produce a perfect panorama - all in moments?

Does anyone have an idiots English guide as to how it accomplishes that?

Sorry again if the post is misplaced here.

Jeff

Re: Panorama Question

I believe the NEX also takes multiple shots in twilight mode, compares the highs and lows and spits out 1 usable image.

Stitching and blending are basic photo editing tools so that tiny computer in the NEX is handling all that.

Uwe, Very nice shot and nicely processed.

The exposure in good light is very different in multi which is what makes it frustrating. If it always underexposed by X you could just crank X in but it doesn't.

One other question. In movable point focus mode the small focus square turns into this large dotted green frame around the entire image. I can't figure out what that means. Pressing the option button brings it back so you can move it but once you press OK you have it back. I can't find any reference to it in the manual. Anyone know what is happening?

Monza any 16mm lenses available? If not do you know when you expect to get them?
I read that the camera needs more light and it switches to wide area focus mode.

There's a 16mm in the Gear FS forum.

Last edited:

MPK2010

Well, I found my answer for the ZM 35mm f2 on m4/3. It doesn't look great at the edges:

http://forum.getdpi.com/forum/showpost.php?p=76499&postcount=58

I've been looking at the design of the CV 35mm f1.4, and although I'd certainly prefer a Leica or ZM if I was shooting the M9, the CV may very well perform better at the edges on NEX. I'll probably just buy a NEX+M adapter and rent every 35mm I can find until one works well....or, Sony could do me a favor and just release a darn standard prime. lol.

Hello All,

This is my first post as a member, but I've followed the forum for a while and I've found the accumulated experience reflected here quite helpful in convincing me to spend more money on cameras. So thank you! Seriously, it's great to follow a forum where people are happy rather than bitter.

Currently have an A850 + CZ24-70 and various m43 bodies/lenses, so the NEX is of obvious interest. While we await results of M-Mount lenses on NEX, I noticed the discussion about 35mm M-Mounts on m43 and thought I'd share my experience. I've used the 35 2.5 Color Skopar, 35 1.7 Ultron and 35 Summarit. While the Skopar was very sharp throughout much of the frame, I found that it had smearing problems in the corners as you neared infinity focus; for closer focus, the problem diminshed or went away, but it was frustrating to deal with. Similar problems with the Ultron, although not as pronounced. The Summarit, on the other hand, performs very well on m43; there is basically no smearing problem, just a little softness toward the corners at 2.5/2.8 (not unlike other M-mounts on m43) and every now and then some odd out-of-focus rendering in the extreme corners at 2.5. In general, though, the sharpness, out-of-focus areas, color and overall look are really superb. It's a lens where I generally don't play much with the "clarity" or "contrast" controls in Lightroom, as it just disturbs what is a great look out-of-camera with great focus fall-off and overall feel. Best around f4.

I ordered the NEX to M-Mount adapter today, I assume it will arrive late next week -- I'll let you know how it works with the 35 Summarit.

Status
Not open for further replies.