The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Fun With Sony Cameras

Status
Not open for further replies.

Terry

Re: Fun with the NEX cameras....

I would like one of each. PM me on the amount to PayPal you so you aren't out of pocket.
John,
If they are available I think I will see if Bill will send one bigger order. I then can send them to everyone in the US that wants them. Probably much easier than Bill having to send multiple packages though customs to the US.

Terry

barjohn

I think I was too harsh on the 16 MM lens. Here are some out of camera JPGs I shot yesterday. Nothing fantastic but it gives you an idea of how the 16 paints images.

In particular look for the distortion and see if it is as bad as it has been made out to be and look at corner sharpness.

Last edited:

sebboh

All the color smearing that is seen in the OOF areas are not due to the lens' characteristics but that of the sensor/processor. All the RAW files from NEX's are compressed (otherwise they can not record it this fast)- one of the drawbacks of miniaturization.
are they not using a lossless compression method?

JMaher

I don't really see any real problems with either corner sharpness or distortion in your shots. Looks like it may be an OK lens particularity for the price.

Especially for an effective 24 lens.

Jim

barjohn

Here is a series of shots taken with the Leica 40/2 (a little street fun).

barjohn

Do you like Balboa bars or frozen bananas dipped in chocolate and covered with nuts? Balboa Island is the place to go! How about that pasta. The shop has a lot of different olive oils and truffle oils too! Toys for kids and plenty of little charming restaurants.

More shots with the Leica 40/2.

How do you think this lens compares to the 16 mm in terms of sharpness and rendition? I really like it myself.

fordfanjpn

John,
If they are available I think I will see if Bill will send one bigger order. I then can send them to everyone in the US that wants them. Probably much easier than Bill having to send multiple packages though customs to the US.

Terry
Terry, Yodobashi didn't have either of the caps in stock. They are only available on an order basis. However, there are other options, so I'll look into this a bit more to see if anyone else has them in stock.

Bill

Terry

Bill,
I don't want to send you on a wild goose chase through the city. Got an email from Monza that he is also working on trying to get some.
If it isn't trouble I would say try another place....also if Yodabashi would order them for you and that is easy, I'm happy to send over a paypal for all of the stuff and I would coordinate an order to cover all of the forum members

V

Vivek

Bill (and everyone), RJ ("jinfinances") informs me that he has made the rear lens caps for the E-mount. I have urged him to make the body caps as well.

In the meantime, I have found another 3rd party Nikon lens rear cap that fits the mount.

V

Vivek

How is the optical performance of the 38 pancake ?
Can you upload some pictures (maybe some full res ?) taken with f2,8 , f4 and f 5,6 ?
Looks nice but the pancake is really rare, isnt it ?

I´m waiting for my Contax G adapter and a set of lenses 28mm, 45mm, 90mm.
They will arrive in the next days. I´m curious about the performance of those "gems" (after reading a lot about them).

:)
Hi, The Olympus pen F 38/2.8 was never known for its optical performance (within the pen F lineup). I showed that because both the pancakes (Oly and Sony) are 5 element 5 groups construction (the Olympus 38/2.8 is a Heliar type lens). The Olympus pancake 38/2.8 has ~0% UV transmission as opposed to the Sony 16/2.8.

Having said all that, it does seem to make sharp images with the NEX-5. I think I will be using it a lot. It makes a fantastic fit (size/weight)!

Yes, it is rare and is a collectible lens.

Oh, almost forgot..it is a shame to stop the lens down for normal shooting.:) For landscapes, maybe one (or at most two) stop down.

Last edited:
V

Vivek

are they not using a lossless compression method?
Presumably, yes. I do not want to comment on that any further as I have no ideas on those. As is the case in general, it could be a result of any number factors and/or (mostly likely) a combination factors (one being the Nyquist limit and the AA filter strength).

I was a bit surprised to discover that in the video mode, the SOM-Berthiot has nearly full coverage! Very little corner darkness!

Last edited:

bradhusick

As a workaround I suppose if you have any mount adapter you could use that camera's body cap as a NEX body cap and just remove them together when using the camera.

V

Vivek

Olympus Pen F Zuiko Macro 38/3.5 on the NEX sensor at ISO800 (slight crop).

H

hoopes

I ordered a rear lens cap for the 18-55mm from Sony Parts, and can confirm that it fits - although the material is very thin and flimsy.

Part no. is 417083701. Cost is $1.84 + tax + $2.5 shipping. Again, my luck with Sony Customer Service and Sales is not very good, so no freebies for me :ROTFL:

Last edited:

tom in mpls

Contax G 35/2, ISO 200, 1/250 sec, f/2.0
Uncropped, a touch of sharpening, no other pp from RAW.
I like the bokeh. DOF is really shallower than I had expected.
View attachment 33271

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.