The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Fun With Sony Cameras

Status
Not open for further replies.

MPK2010

Re: Fun with the NEX cameras....

MPK2010 - Oh he has plenty of lenses :ROTFL::ROTFL::ROTFL:
Uh-oh. :shocked: Well then Jono I suppose I would say ... well the argument would be ... that is, ... actually at the moment I can't think of a reason not to buy it, but I am sure one of the more experienced forum members can think of something. :thumbup:

jonoslack

Jono -
What's not to love?
Yes, yes, yes, very pretty

MPK2010 - Oh he has plenty of lenses :ROTFL::ROTFL::ROTFL:

Uh-oh. :shocked: Well then Jono I suppose I would say ... well the argument would be ... that is, ... actually at the moment I can't think of a reason not to buy it, but I am sure one of the more experienced forum members can think of something. :thumbup:
:) To be honest, I wouldn't be buying it primarily to use with M lenses, but it would make such a sweet little package with the 35 summarit. Terry is right, I do have 'others' . . . 28 'cron, 35 'lux, 50 'lux, 75 'cron, 90 elmarit, WATE and MATE to be exact but most of them would still be used on the M9.

However, I can think of 3 really good reasons not to buy it;

1. I've got too many cameras (I also have an A900 and EP2)
2. the kit lens starts at 28mm and has a lot of distortion
3. Aperture doesn't support the RAW files.

If I were being honest with myself I'd have to say that it's only 3 which is really having an effect!

Terry

Don't worry Jono - I'm just having fun at your expense :p

Aperture is an important part. I really want to have a go at the RAW files from the camera and am getting impatient for the ACR/LR support and hope there is an update very soon.

jonoslack

Don't worry Jono - I'm just having fun at your expense :p

Aperture is an important part. I really want to have a go at the RAW files from the camera and am getting impatient for the ACR/LR support and hope there is an update very soon.
No worries Terry - please feel free to use me for any kind of fun (everybody around here does that too!):ROTFL:

More seriously, the number of times I've fiddlearsed about with cracks and scams to make RAW files from new cameras work in Aperture :thumbdown: I really don't want to do it again!

barjohn

Terry,

I'm anxious to see what you are finding with the wider lenses like 24 mm and 28 mm lenses as I am considering getting a used CV in those FL to give me an effective 35 to 45 mm field of view.

Terry

Terry,

I'm anxious to see what you are finding with the wider lenses like 24 mm and 28 mm lenses as I am considering getting a used CV in those FL to give me an effective 35 to 45 mm field of view.
John,
I don't have anything worth it for testing. I have a CV28 but it is f3.5 and I have the 21 elmarit which is a multi-thousand dollar lens. Whether or not a lens works seems very lens design dependent so the 28 I have can't be used to see if the faster 28 is worthwhile. Before I buy any new lenses I'm going to wait for photokina annoncements.

MPK2010

3. Aperture doesn't support the RAW files.

If I were being honest with myself I'd have to say that it's only 3 which is really having an effect!
Ah, that one may keep you in the clear for quite a while. I remember an Aperture update wait that lasted long enough for me to try Lightroom and get used to it in the meantime and that was that. Of course, I was new to both, had no strong preference, and didn't happen to have an M9 and collection of the world's greatest lenses to tide me over while I waited. :bugeyes:

Agree with Terry about looking towards Photokina. I am hopeful that there will be some E-mount lens announcements, although I don't know if that's 50/50 or what.

jonoslack

Terry,

Hi John
I would have thought that MPK2010's results with the 35 summarit and CV lenses, together with m4/3 experience would suggest that anything as wide as 28 (let alone 24) was going to be questionable at best. All that angled microlens stuff done by kodak/leica surely wasn't for nothing!

jonoslack

Cool, Hot -they look fine - nice soft bokeh as well.

Ah, that one may actually keep you in the clear for quite a while. I remember an Aperture update wait that lasted long enough for me to try Lightroom and get used to it in the meantime and that was that. Of course, I was new, had no strong preference between the two, and didn't happen to have an M9 and collection of the world's greatest lenses to tide me over while I waited. :bugeyes:
I've been there, and nearly switched twice, however, they have been better at updates as of late, and a recent period using lightroom 3 instead proved to me very conclusively that I preferred Aperture, even without the issue of converting a 50,000 image library!

Certainly, a new secondary camera is not a good enough reason!

Agree with Terry about looking towards Photokina. I am hopeful that there will be some E-mount lens announcements, although I don't know if that's 50/50 or what.
I really hope so. sony are such an odd company; they bring out an excellent sensibly priced FF camera (A900), and then completely fail to capitalise on it by bringing out enough lenses! (although there is everything I need) Maybe it'll be different this time.

a better quality zoom starting at 24mm would certainly do the business for me.

Terry

I can tell you for sure you won't be using the 21 elmarit on the NEX. Color is fine....smears towards the edges and the kit lens beats it. I can post pictures but it is hardly worth it.

MPK2010

a better quality zoom starting at 24mm would certainly do the business for me.
Agree with that, in fact I'd just as happily take a wide prime with an image signature that more resembles one of the ZM primes than the current NEX pancake. As far as the wide-angle M-mounts, I've read that the results may actually vary from lens to lens, but I'm sure others here can speak more knowledgeably to that than I can.

In the meantime, I think I should be fine with using only 1 or 2 lenses and swapping less frequently than with m43. Not sure yet if the NEX dustbuster is quite on par with m43; in fairness it still seems quite good, I've only seen dust once so far, but then I've never once seen dust on an m43 sensor in over a year of using several.

hot

Hot - these look great. Raw or Jpeg? Processing?
out of camera, freehand, no raw, no postprocessing - I hate both :)
A good camera makes good pictures - raw/postprocessing = waste of lifetime!
Only using Irfanview - for resizing.

If I want to manipulate, then I become a painter.

Terry

This morning in the fog I tried shooting the 21 elmarit lens and wasn't happy. I had another go with the lens after the fog lifted and it wasn't as bad. Wide open I still need to use an ND filter. You can see the color change on the edges. To take this shot I need to hold the camera out a window and I should be steady at these shutter speeds it would be nice to set this up on a tripod. I did the same with the 18-55 kit (f11 - can redo it) and the 16-35 Zeiss. I can't open the windows enough to do this on a tripod and don't feel like going out as I'm a bit sick.

If anyone wants files happy to send.

Kit lens

21 Elmarit - look at the magenta in the edges.

16-35 alpha mount Zeiss

barjohn

Terry, I can't remember for sure but it seems that I recall reading that the M9 shows a similar color-shift toward the edges with the 21. There are several lenses on the M9 that exhibit a color shift and even with lens coding it showed up. If my recollection is correct, then one can't expect more from the NEX that lacks the Kodak sensor and micro lenses. I would like to see a reasonably fast 24 or 28 that works well enough for every day use. The 40 works great except for the effective 60 mm field of view.

Status
Not open for further replies.