The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Fun With Sony Cameras

Status
Not open for further replies.

Irenaeus

Re: Fun with the NEX cameras....

QUOTE=barjohn;231739]I would like to see a reasonably fast 24 or 28 that works well enough for every day use. The 40 works great except for the effective 60 mm field of view.[/QUOTE]

Have you considered the Minolta Rokkor 28/2 which they made for the CLE? The color signature should fit in pretty well with your 40/2, it's tiny and its notorious "dreaded white spot disease" can be permanently cured by at least one repairman, John Van Stelten. (His shop is near Fort Colllins, Colorado. You could google him or just phone him at (303) 665-6640.)

Those spots are caused by crystals forming in the black anti-reflective paint inside the lens barrel, which leach out (probably after exposure to high heat) and are deposited on the lens element. He takes the lens apart (which is, apparently, rather labor intensive) removes the old paint, repaints the barrel with paint that won't ever produce such spots and you're good to go. It's not inexpensive, but lenses that already have the problem should be discounted commensurately and I found the package doable.

[One warning: The longer those spots remain untreated on the lens, the larger they grow and the more likely it is that they could etch the glass permanently. That's not a problem with the earlier, tinier, stages of the condition, though.]

He's a good workman, excellent to deal with and did a great job for me in January. Unfortunately, I was using it on an RD1 and, though the image quality was exquisite, my focusing ability was not, and I sold the whole outfit a few months later. If I found that the NEX would enable me to use manual focus again, however (and if my Contax G 45/2 didn't work out with the NEX) the 28/2 Rokkor would definitely be on the shortest of my short lists!

It's a real gem!

Irenaeus

Irenaeus

My Apologies! The Minolta Rokkor-M mount lens I was extolling in the previous post is NOT a 28/2 but a 28/2.8! So it really doesn't meet your need for speed, barjohn, does it? (It's still a stellar lens in all those other respects, though....)

Selective Wishful Thinking Memory Loss strikes again — perhaps i need to stop doing this sort of thing after midnight"

Back to bed,

Irenaeus

barjohn

I'm familiar with the Rokkor 28/2.8 and its infamous white spots. I haven't seen many for sale in some time. Probably for that reason. It is good to know it can be fixed but of course if the total price takes it into the used Leica 28 price range it wouldn't make sense.

Irenaeus

My total cost for an otherwise excellent spotted lens and repair was $500 plus shipping.

Yes, I've wondered why there haven't been many on the market, too. It may, indeed, be that people have given up on getting their investments back on the bad ones.

It may also be that they like what they're getting from their very good ones.

Happy hunting,

Irenaeus

fordfanjpn

>I find the out-of-camera HDR pictures a bit flat.

That is fine for B&W. Much easier to make images less flat than the other way round.

Uwe, your B&W images are amazing! This is exactly the kind of tonality I have been trying (unsuccessfully) to get for years. Can you comment on your process for getting these gorgeous B&W images? I looked at your B&W Resolver script, but the results look different. Any help in this area, or better yet, a new DOP script, would be very much appreciated. Thanks.

Bill

fotoingo

Subscriber Member

Here are some more pictures I shot with the Contax G 45mm f2 and the 90mm f2,8.
Most of the shots were taken wide open. :)

Hopefully I will receive the 35mm f2 in 2 days too. I´m really curious how it will perform because it will replace the 28mm which is no good on the NEX :(
( because of the rounded glas element at the end of the lens ? )

The 45 and 90mm are absolutely brilliant !

douglasf13

I look forward to hearing about your results with the 35mm G, fotoingo. I have a feeling that lens will be my standard lens when NEX arrives.

Terry

Fedex delivered my Contax adapter today. The lens I bought came last week and was absolutely pristine. It is hard to believe it was ever used (I would venture a guess that it really hasn't been used).

ustein

Contributing Editor

Uwe, your B&W images are amazing! This is exactly the kind of tonality I have been trying (unsuccessfully) to get for years. Can you comment on your process for getting these gorgeous B&W images? I looked at your B&W Resolver script, but the results look different. Any help in this area, or better yet, a new DOP script, would be very much appreciated. Thanks.

Bill
I think this one was shot as in Camera HDR and converted in Lightroom to B&W. The results of the B&W Resolver can be tweaked in many ways.

douglasf13

Fedex delivered my Contax adapter today. The lens I bought came last week and was absolutely pristine. It is hard to believe it was ever used (I would venture a guess that it really hasn't been used).
Great! I can't wait to hear a report.

fotoingo

Subscriber Member

I look forward to hearing about your results with the 35mm G, fotoingo. I have a feeling that lens will be my standard lens when NEX arrives.
Yeah, I hope it will not let me down when it comes to image quality. (The internet says it is the "black sheep" of the G-Line but I read that means it is still much better than most 35mm primes)
Then it will be my "standard 50mm" too. f2 is not f1,8 or f1,4 but nontheless nice :) (and one stop better than the -no good on the NEX- 28mm f2,8.

how easy is manual focusing on contax G lenses?
Really easy :) The screen is sooo crisp and with the magnification turned on (via the lower button next to the display) the focussing is a real joy.

Nice. I wish you much fun using it.
My lenses (or better the whole kit (G1 + flash + bag + 28mm+45mm+90mm) looked pristine too. I guess we both were really lucky.
Which lense/s do you own or will you use ?
I´m looking forward to see some of your pictures soon :)

monza

Ingo those are fantastic photos. :)

The 35/2 Contax G Planar is very under rated, it is my favorite adapted lens on micro 4/3 and I'm sure it will be also on NEX. It focuses closer than Leica RF lenses, too.

fotoingo

Subscriber Member

Ingo those are fantastic photos. :)

The 35/2 Contax G Planar is very under rated, it is my favorite adapted lens on micro 4/3 and I'm sure it will be also on NEX. It focuses closer than Leica RF lenses, too.
Thank you ! Those lenses make pics look better with no afford, haha.
I love the bokeh/colours.

I would love to see some pics taken with the 35mm from you.
Maybe you got a link for me or something ?

Terry

OK Here is my standard test scene....weather not as nice.
It is a pretty far distance across the bay. It seems to be a keeper.
For some reason the forum software keeps trying to make the crops 1200 pixels when I upload no matter which method. PM me and I will send the full files.

f2

f8

View attachment 33442

View attachment 33441

Terry

Two close ups one without much in the background the other with a really complex background closer to the subject both at f2

Status
Not open for further replies.