The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Fun With Sony Cameras

Status
Not open for further replies.

jonoslack

Re: Fun with the NEX cameras....

Here is a shot I did with the Sony Alpha adapter, ext tubes, and a Minolta 100-300 AF on a NEX 5
Hi Jim
And a welcome from me too
Great shot - and a splendidly idiosyncratic setup. Did you use a tripod?

wayne_s

Jono,
Those last few, especially the top of the wine bottle shot are very nice for 1600 and kit lens.
Were these shots RAWs converted in Aperture of sooc jpegs?

wayne_s

Personally I don't feel like there is excessive NR going on robbing detail above 800. I've posted a bunch of shots on the first page of this thread of ISO 1600's. Granted they don't have all the hairs from the bee but I think they show good detail.
Thanks Terry, that is good to know that there is not excessive NR going on in the camera's jpeg engine.
Here is a link Douglas sent me,
http://www.hklfc.com/forum/?o=topic&act=show&id=48414&page=6

with some NEX shots taken with Leica M glass especially the 35/1.4 'Lux ASPH and if I compare those shots to ones I have seen with the same lens on a M8/M9 or with shots I take with my Zeiss glass on my 1ds3 I don't see the same clarity or sharpness level. Yes, there are a lot of different factors involved like hand-holding/focusing techique, reduction and sharpening to web flow, etc. So I know it is hard to compare like this.
I am, along with a lot of other people I am sure, are interested in seeing to what high IQ levels this new NEX system can achieve with the finest M glass.
Is it close to the M8/M9 with M glass or not? Does the higher pixel density 1.5 crop sensor system of the NEX5 cross the limit of what Leica M glass can deliver?
I am waiting first for the LR update and for Photokina announcements before I buy the NEX5. Until then I will enjoy seeing everyones great posts here in this thread.

Jim DE

Jonoslack, Yes, it was shot on a tripod in my backyard. We are loaded with dragonflies in the backyard so subject's are plentiful. ;) The Alpha adapter has a tripod socket which I used for this set-up.

I also use the NEX 5 with my Contax G lenses with a Kipon adapter as well. I am really enjoying the heck out of this camera.

LoSenior

re: Fun With Sony _____

Michael,
Really like your photo, hope that it's alright for me to use it as my desktop picture.
What lens did you use and what program are you using for PP and stitching.
Please post more of your work.

Jerry

H

hornblade

A850 + 16-35 + 2 stop soft GND. Spray Park, Mt Rainier Natl Park

R

Razii

As for braketing - unlike HDR the bracketing is only for 2/3 EV max in either direction for three shots so a lot less bracketing lattitude. However, like HDR it is fast rapid fire so again you can get away with a handheld bracketed exposure.
The handheld HDR doesn't work due to "rapid fire." The camera does auto alignment. HHT & AMB modes use six images, and they work just as well. Pentax DSLRs have HDR too, but regardless of how rapid the three shots are fired, it's next to impossible to get a sharp image without a tripod.

Terry

The handheld HDR doesn't work due to "rapid fire." The camera does auto alignment. HHT & AMB modes use six images, and they work just as well. Pentax DSLRs have HDR too, but regardless of how rapid the three shots are fired, it's next to impossible to get a sharp image without a tripod.
Sorry, I assumed the alignment was happening in all of these modes and that alignment got harder to achieve when the shots were spaced further apart. I'm thinking leaves on trees blowing in the wind.

jonoslack

Jonoslack, Yes, it was shot on a tripod in my backyard. We are loaded with dragonflies in the backyard so subject's are plentiful. ;) The Alpha adapter has a tripod socket which I used for this set-up.

I also use the NEX 5 with my Contax G lenses with a Kipon adapter as well. I am really enjoying the heck out of this camera.
Not so many dragonflies around here (just wasps) - I'd forgotten about the tripod socket - my adapter hasn't arrived yet (what a good idea).

Still wishing I hadn't sold those G lenses:cry:

Jono,
Those last few, especially the top of the wine bottle shot are very nice for 1600 and kit lens.
Were these shots RAWs converted in Aperture of sooc jpegs?
Yes - Aperture conversion - seems good - great colour too.

all the best

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member

Jono, you rascal you. I've finally managed to convince myself that I'm not going to buy the NEX, and then you post one temptation after the other. Great portraits of your son btw.

But since you have bought the thing; what are your thoughts about the 16mm? Unfortunately, that one and the Pentax 15mm f/4 are the only compact WA primes for DX, and I need exactly that.

jonoslack

Jono, you rascal you. I've finally managed to convince myself that I'm not going to buy the NEX, and then you post one temptation after the other. Great portraits of your son btw.

But since you have bought the thing; what are your thoughts about the 16mm? Unfortunately, that one and the Pentax 15mm f/4 are the only compact WA primes for DX, and I need exactly that.
Hi Jorgen
I'm afraid that the Pentax files really didn't 'do it' for me - the camera was lovely to use, but, in the end, it wasn't that small unless you used the primes . . and I have the Leica for that.

The NEX files look better to me, especially at high ISO - the kit zoom seems much better than it oughta (better than the 16-50 DA at any rate).

no real judgement on the 16mm yet, but it seems to be perfectly serviceable (better in the centre as you might imagine)

Not too much time to play this weekend, and I don't have the adapters yet

all the best

mjm6

Michael,
Really like your photo, hope that it's alright for me to use it as my desktop picture.
What lens did you use and what program are you using for PP and stitching.
Please post more of your work.

Jerry

Jerry,

Sure, I'll send you a bill :eek:

Feel free to use it as a desktop image. :LOL:

It was taken with the Sony 70-300 G lens, at the 70mm focal length. I shot 6 images framed vertically and stitched them in PS3. I'm looking into stitching programs because PS3 has real trouble with a few images (fails to properly stitch them), but mostly, PS3 has been just fine for that work.

As I go through more from that trip, I'll post a few...

---Michael

jonoslack

Ooops
I left it on 3200 ISO, and didn't notice for a while . . . . so here are a couple at ISO 3200:

processed in Aperture - no noise reduction added.

I know that in decent (this was evening) light that high ISO isn't usually so much of an issue - but this bodes very well for shooting action stuff.

jonoslack

Here are some poppies from this morning

We went out riding today . . .
Chris looked after the truck and the beer:

Kay and Lucy

Kay relaxing afterwards:

fotoingo

Subscriber Member

Here are some poppies from this morning

We went out riding today . . .
Chris looked after the truck and the beer:

Kay and Lucy

Kay relaxing afterwards:
Hey !
I really like the last picture. Nice mood and nice BW tones.

Here are some pictures from the last days. Nothing special.
The Sunflower pic shows you the bokeh of the 90mm Contax G once more.
Will try to shoot some nice " Kirmes" pictures at night in the next days.

The pictures are shot with the 16mm Sony (4) and Contax 45mm(5) + 90mm (1,2,3 and 6).

Braeside

Rainy day in Edinburgh

We went over to see the Edward Weston exhibition, which was marvellous. :thumbup:

Then a walk around in the pouring rain to try and photograph some of the action in the Royal Mile.

All A900 CZ135/1.8
Conehead

Alien

Stripes

Status
Not open for further replies.