The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Fun With Sony Cameras

Status
Not open for further replies.

sebboh

Re: Fun with the NEX cameras....

that's looking pretty good! a little easy to correct CA but no smearing. f/1.4 doesn't look great at infinity but you're not going to find a lens in this price class that will - plus who shoots f/1.4 at infinity.

douglasf13

that's looking pretty good! a little easy to correct CA but no smearing. f/1.4 doesn't look great at infinity but you're not going to find a lens in this price class that will - plus who shoots f/1.4 at infinity.
Yeah, F8 seems to look great at infinity, so I'm happy. I don't think my Sony 50mm 1.4 does any better in the corners on my A900. I'm glad I took the risk and already ordered the CV 35 1.4 :)

monza

If a lens works well on the RD1 (APS-C) should be it be assumed that it would work well on the NEX? I have never heard of smearing problems on the RD1 (the original Sean Reid review on LL mentions vignetting but not smearing.)

Thoughts?

douglasf13

I've been wondering the same. I would guess it has to do with how the microlenses and other sensor toppings compare.

douglasf13

Yeah, I know, but Vivek has written about how sensor topping thickness can vary from company to company, and the thinner the better, in this case. Who knows if the RD1 and NEX have similar thicknesses? m4/3's is incredibly thick.

P

Poki

Hey, just got some good information about new lenses. A reliable source from which I have got some right information in the past has told me, Sony will bring up 4 new lenses with E-mount at the Photokina. One of them will be a 70mm f1.8 macro which will go on sale this year for about 700 (euros, I don't know the dollar price).

I wasn't able to get exact information about the other three, but I expect one or two with fixed focal length (maybe 35 and 45mm) and maybe a telezoom or a good Zeiss. The informations are really solid.

Also interesting: Sony isn't planning another NEX-camera for 2010, so the NEX-7 won't come up this year. I got this information for the blog I'm writing for (www.Apfelwahn.de), and this source was right everytime I can remember.

What do you think: what the other three lenses will be?

Cindy Flood

Super Moderator

Hey, just got some good information about new lenses. A reliable source from which I have got some right information in the past has told me, Sony will bring up 4 new lenses with E-mount at the Photokina. One of them will be a 70mm f1.8 macro which will go on sale this year for about 700 (euros, I don't know the dollar price).

I wasn't able to get exact information about the other three, but I expect one or two with fixed focal length (maybe 35 and 45mm) and maybe a telezoom or a good Zeiss. The informations are really solid.

Also interesting: Sony isn't planning another NEX-camera for 2010, so the NEX-7 won't come up this year. I got this information for the blog I'm writing for (www.Apfelwahn.de), and this source was right everytime I can remember.

What do you think: what the other three lenses will be?
Does your source have any info on possible add-on EVF for NEX 3/5?

P

Poki

Does your source have any info on possible add-on EVF for NEX 3/5?
Hmm ... nothing he has told me. I'm going to ask about it the next days. But hasn't Sony said the port doesn't support an EVF? Or would it be possible with an firmware update?

roweraay

Just managed to take some quick snaps outside my work... focused at infinity...
Thanks a bunch for these. The lens certainly looks promising. And after one factors in the price, the max aperture and the petite size, it comes across as a sure winner in my book.

simonclivehughes

But hasn't Sony said the port doesn't support an EVF?
Have Sony said this? I'm hearing persistent reports (rumors) that an EVF is in the planning. Sure would be nice to know definitively. I'm certainly counting on buying a couple for my NEX 5s.

Cheers,

douglasf13

Oh, the humanity! I ordered my NEX-5 and CV 35 last week, and they didn't ship my NEX until two days ago, so I won't receive it until next week. This morning, I see the above tests, and then my lens arrives! So, now I have this cool little M lens with no home, and the wait for the camera (and adapter) will be unbearable. :LOL:

monza

Thanks a bunch for these. The lens certainly looks promising. And after one factors in the price, the max aperture and the petite size, it comes across as a sure winner in my book.
Looks very good, only issue I would have is I'd want closer focus. But any other option at that speed/price are going to be SLR lenses and much bigger.

roweraay

Hmm ... nothing he has told me. I'm going to ask about it the next days. But hasn't Sony said the port doesn't support an EVF? Or would it be possible with an firmware update?
Could you point to some source that says the port doesn't support an EVF ? It is certainly a powered port and even the flash draws its power from there and clearly there is communication between the flash and the camera via the port.

Our local retailer (a premier Sony retailer who stocks really high-end Sony products, upto an including the A900 and Sony CZ and G lenses) who typically gets advance information on upcoming Sony products, was pretty emphatic that an EVF was on the way for the NEX (and they confirmed that they were not talking about the 16mm's OVF). And he was specific to the point of telling that the EVF and the Flash shares the same port and that when the EVF is on, the flash cannot be used.

And clearly, since the Sony NEX camcorder has an EVF, it is not an impossibility to create a separate EVF module that can be sold separately for the NEX cameras.

PS: When the Sony A-mount-to-NEX lens adapter was/is pretty much out-of-stock everywhere else in the country, including within Sonystyle and also places like B&H, I merrily walked into this retailer's store and snagged one of those....they had 2 of them in stock (had them in the warehouse but I got them the very next day) !

P

Poki

I'm pretty sure I've read this in some blog articles when the NEX launched. I search tomorrow through my RSS-archive and give you a link. Maybe the articles were just bad researched.

jonoslack

I was going to do some testing . . . . but it's so much more fun snappin' away!

These shots are all wide open - Raw files processed in Aperture.

Leica f2 75mm summicron asph 1600 ISO:

Leica f2 75mm summicron asph 1600 ISO:

Zeiss 135mm f1.8 200 ISO . . . . looks so silly on the Nex, but handles really well:

Leica 50mm f1.4 summilux asph 250 ISO

I also tried the new 35 'lux and the WATE - both seemed to be fine.

Status
Not open for further replies.