The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Fun With Sony Cameras

Status
Not open for further replies.
T

Tony Beach

re: Fun With Sony _____

A850, Schneider Super Angulon 28/2.8 PC, and lots of computing horsepower.

T

Tony Beach

Tony,
Very well done.

Jerry
Thank you Jerry. Here's one from December, 2009 using the A850 and 24-70/2.8:

It's actually two shots taken at 35mm and stitched together vertically, so lots of detail in there that isn't seen on a compressed, downsized webshot.

T

Tony Beach

I like your composition here. The use of the pier to divide the shot between the relatively negative space above it and its reflection and muddy water below. Even the mountain in the corner works for me, probably because the pier leads the eye to it.

T

Tony Beach

Here's another quick one of an iconic San Francisco landmark:

LoSenior

Tony, Thanks for the comments.

I very much like your San Francisco pictures, Excellent composition and wonderful colors.
The color contrast of the Golden Gate bridge and the leading rocks is very effective.

Gilgamesh -- great colors! Nice little slice of sky.

David -- love the Kissing trees shot. Interesting how those two trees are just standing out there alone(though I can't see behind you :D )

LoSenior, great colors and textures. Is that a set piece that you put together or something you came across? ALso, I like the pier, the strong lines and repetition invite the viewer to move into the picture.

Tony, that Pano from Pier 14 is fabulous. What was that, about 4 vertical captures? Also, I've seen the bridge shot before but it's still very nice. Was Coit Tower taken with your T/S?

Mark, I hate to break it to you but the Minolta/Sony ringflash is about the best of the breed, with durations as short as 1/56,000 and four individually switched flashtubes -- but it's really not designed to shoot from any distance. You did very well there with the F58 -- you're making me hungry! Where the ringflash really shines (heh) is in very close work around 1:1 or greater:

Table salt at 1:1:

Coin at 1:1, bottom flash tube off to give depth:

Anyway, here is what I came here to share today, a couple from Saturday evening:

LoSenior

Dave,

Excellent Sunset pictures. The color and light draw me into the scene.
Thanks for the comment. My first picture was a display for a Japanese New Year event. A young lady used a Japanese Kimono and fans, she did a very nice job.

Jerry

T

Tony Beach

Nice sunset shots Dave, great colors and I'm sorry I wasn't able to meet up with you there the other night.

Yes, the pano is 4 shots taken with the A850 and Schneider 28 PC, and the Coit Tower shot was also taken with the same combo (only one shot on that one).

Mark K

Dave
Excellent samples. I have this old old Minolta ring flash (still with non dedicated hot shoe) and a newer Canon MT-24EX. I have not been very lucky with two flash guns...

I have more luck with Minolta 200/2.8 HS

Braeside

David -- love the Kissing trees shot. Interesting how those two trees are just standing out there alone(though I can't see behind you :D )
Thanks Dave, just to say that those two trees are standing entirely alone, I drove up the road for the first time and it just struck me immediately how powerful an image they make. Someone had a brilliant idea when they planted them there.:salute:

Dave - those sunsets are amazing! :thumbup:

Jerry - what an amazing wooden bridge, most unusual.

Really enjoy this thread, always something new to feast my eyes on.:toocool:

First off, Thank You everyone everyone for the kind words. It's really gratifying to get such a response from this group.

Dave,

Excellent Sunset pictures. The color and light draw me into the scene.
Thanks for the comment. My first picture was a display for a Japanese New Year event. A young lady used a Japanese Kimono and fans, she did a very nice job.

Jerry
I agree, she did a wonderful job. It looks like at least two vintage fans on the left, and the fabric looks brand new.

Nice sunset shots Dave, great colors and I'm sorry I wasn't able to meet up with you there the other night.

Yes, the pano is 4 shots taken with the A850 and Schneider 28 PC, and the Coit Tower shot was also taken with the same combo (only one shot on that one).
Yeah, it was kind of last minute notice. Lately the skies have been either clear or mud, so this was an opportunity I had to jump on.

That lens seems to be working great for you, though it seems to have met its match with Coit Tower. Did you use the lens unshifted for the pano or did you have something up your sleeve that I'm missing?

Dave
Excellent samples. I have this old old Minolta ring flash (still with non dedicated hot shoe) and a newer Canon MT-24EX. I have not been very lucky with two flash guns...

I have more luck with Minolta 200/2.8 HS
Mark, that older flash will only fire at full power on a digital camera, no TTL. I have a bunch of those controllers kicking around doing nothing, from film days I had one and a spare, another came with an assortment of bellows/ MD lens bits and pieces, and yet another came with the 1x-3x macro lens. Doorstops, really. What you want to use the flash tubes properly on digital is a Minolta MFC-1000 controller. They are rare and pricey, I lucked out and picked up a spare that was poorly listed as part of a kit with an old Dimage 5 on ebay, for $170 or so as I recall. Just keep your eyes peeled.

Thanks Dave, just to say that those two trees are standing entirely alone, I drove up the road for the first time and it just struck me immediately how powerful an image they make. Someone had a brilliant idea when they planted them there.:salute:

Dave - those sunsets are amazing! :thumbup:
Well, it took another brilliant idea to get that shot. Very nice! :thumbup:

And thanks again. :cool:

HI Dave
It appears that you can't count (I never thought of a couple as three).
However, you can take pictures - these are great!
No, I can't count very well... usually I do just fine up to 21(unless it's real cold) but get lost after that. :p

Actually I didn't intend to post the third one at first, I was afraid some might think I colorized it. The only color alteration was about +8 vibrance, so I figured what the heck... I have a pretty thick skin. :D

T

Tony Beach

That lens seems to be working great for you, though it seems to have met its match with Coit Tower. Did you use the lens unshifted for the pano or did you have something up your sleeve that I'm missing?
Thanks Dave.

Yes, Coit Tower is pretty high, so getting the perspective fully corrected with just the lens is beyond what it can do from where I was standing for that shot. I did one version where I finished the perspective correction in Photoshop, but that looked overly distorted. This version had a little additional PC added in Photoshop which looked pretty natural to my eye, and with all the resolution from that lens and the A850 there was a lot of latitude to do that.

On the pano I rotated the lens around the nodal point and the lens was shifted up about 5mm. The stitching was seamless and quick that way, so again the lens and camera are making getting shots like these a lot easier than they would be without this great gear.

I

I4YM

Love all the photos. So I signed up. Sony A850 with Minolta 135/2.8 and HVL-F58 AM Flash.

Status
Not open for further replies.