The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Fun With Sony Cameras

Status
Not open for further replies.
K

kdsj82

Re: Fun with the NEX cameras....

First time uploading. I don't know if tumblr link works.

A view of San Diego from petco park

I

implsv

Hi guys,
Just wondering if you can help me with a decision on a lens for my Sony Nex 5.

Im tossing up between this one

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/ws/eBayISAPI....=STRK:MEWAX:IT
Voigtlander Nokton 40mm F/1.4 SC Black 40 f1.4 Leica M
or

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/ws/eBayISAPI....=STRK:MEWAX:IT
Voigtlander Nokton Classic 35mm F/1.4 SC f1.4 Leica M

There is about $200.00 difference between each lens so I am really not sure which one to get. I currrently just have the NEX 5 Twin Lens kit.
I want a lens which is good for street photograph.

Can anyone shed any light which one they would go for and would I notice a significant difference in quality of photos compared to the standard nex lens?

Thanks for your advice

Streetshooter

Subscriber Member

Man, do you have a tuff choice. They are both wonderful.
My preference would be the 40SC. For B&W it's very old school.

The real decision would be the converted focal length.
The FOV seems close but it really isn't.
I tend to like wider because I see that way but between the 2 you are working with, I'd still take the 40mm.
Don

I

implsv

Thanks for your opinion,

I think I will go with the 40SC then.

Do you think it will take me long to adjust to using this lens with the manual focus on the NEX?

Man, do you have a tuff choice. They are both wonderful.
My preference would be the 40SC. For B&W it's very old school.

The real decision would be the converted focal length.
The FOV seems close but it really isn't.
I tend to like wider because I see that way but between the 2 you are working with, I'd still take the 40mm.
Don

re: Fun With Sony _____

Nice shots everyone! I've been too busy to do any shooting, good work keeping the thread going. :)

Ken, the first one is a great capture. Did you set up and wait for a bird to enter the frame or was that spur-of-the-moment?

dekie, nice job catching the rays peeking through the clouds. Have you tried dropping the exposure a bit in PP to bring them out more?

Neil, nice splash of color, and great bokeh on that Tamron.

Simon, very nice composition on the dog, good job nailing the focus at f/1.7

K

kgior

Dave,

I hate to admit it but it is a composite which is something that I rarely do. The sunset colors lasted only a couple of minutes and a pelican didn’t cross in a location that I was happy with in that short time frame. I shot the scene without the bird and photographed one the next day from the same location, then inserted it into the frame.

Ken

APY_JR

Hi, lovely images!
Could you please share with your impressions of differences using Zeiss ZF both on Nex and DSLR (I presume you have used them on either Canon or Nikon?).
If I compare my RAW files of Zeiss ZF on canon 30D to RAW files from NEX-3 of Contax G lenses, I can see a noticeable difference in favor of canon files. I am mainly talking of sharpness here. I need to sharpen nex ones to achieve similar results. Now, it could be dues to initial settings that both cameras apply to RAW files. I know that in canon you can adjust sharpness on RAW prior to pressing the button (have not seen this in NEX-3). Could be also that my camera is not up to specifications.
What are your impressions?
Regards
Ed
Well Ed,

Firstly, I don't know how you got a zeiss nikon mount lens on a canon 30d....
but my first reaction would be to question the conversion mount you used to do so.

Secondly.. all my nikon mount nikkor lenses appear sharper than the zeiss
eqivilents... but it's the coating on the zeiss lenses that separate them from the prior.

Color & contrast of the rendered zeiss images sets them apart... not the overall detail (sharpness)

Albert

Well, it came out really nice. Not to start an old people story like walking to school uphill both ways in the snow, but in the film days I've wasted more sunsets than I care to mention, trying to spare the film and wait for a bird to fly in front of the damn lens. Sure, I brought home shots but I brought home more, better shots when I forgot about the effing birds. :D

Bravo, it's a nice composite! :thumbup:

K

kgior

Thank you very much for the compliment, I’m glad that you like it.:D

Ken

J

jcoffin

Got up semi-early this morning and took a few pictures out behind the house:

...and some of the last few Pasque flowers of the year:

Both of those are five-shot focus stacks, but especially in the first, I should have stacked more, with focus points closer together.

Edit: Maybe one more for good measure:

Last edited:
N

newworld666

newworld666, I have been shooting my NEX5 with Legacy lenses since it first came out .... (unless I have missed a even newer update than I have) I have seen not one advantage for those using these lenses in these 2 software updates. It has helped using the Nex lenses and Alpha lenses but my manual focus legacy glass shooting is the same now as it was on day one. What am I missing? How have the upgrades helped your manual focus shooting?
No, with new firmware it's memorizing the last manual focus place when you zoom, so it's more comfortable to switch between zooming MF and full picture or multi shots for various apertures (before it went directly to centre of the picture .
The best would be a NEX7 like GF2 with a touchscreen to zoom directly to the place you want to focus (I played 2 weeks with a GF2 that Panasonic gave me for a test, and that's a big improvement for manual focusing)

D

dekie

Some portraits with the great combo, a900 / CZ135, on an early summer day in the city.

Gr.

Z

Zeppelin

I really have to say that this is one of the most valuable NEX threads ever! I came here by accident few days ago, in the meantime I read page by page... really good insights + amazing pictures!

I definitely had fun with the NEX5 in Thailand... bought it the day before I left to my vacation and got familiar with it quickly. I haven't had a camera for a while, my previous one was a Ricoh GX100 which was quite nice, but I sold it after a while; low dynamic range/very prone to blow highlights plus lots of noise. Now the fun is back, with only a slightly bigger package...

18-55 kit lens and 16mm wide angle lens:

D

dekie

The CZ135 must be the sharpest prime. With low DOF, but perfect sharp and good contrast at F1.8.

Sharper than my Min Apo 200mm and Min 100mm f2.0.

Mark K

The CZ135 must be the sharpest prime. With low DOF, but perfect sharp and good contrast at F1.8.

Sharper than my Min Apo 200mm and Min 100mm f2.0.
I definitely need an eyeglass but these ZA lenses are gems of all alpha mount optics.
I have to admit the shallow DOF makes perfect focusing more difficult.
Here is a bad sample

Status
Not open for further replies.