The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Fun With Sony Cameras

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: Fun with the NEX cameras....

Michiel: Thanks for your kind words and feedback.

More nice pictures of your shop window series. Particularly like the next to last one you posted, snapped from the street car.

soelin: Like the composition and lines of your B&W picture. The people rushing upstairs add a somewhat mysterious atmosphere to the capture.

Vivek: Interesting plans regarding the use of the WA converter with the Sony/Zeiss 24mm/1.8 as well. What converter (0.7x) are you using? (Since I own this lens but no converter and that maybe an option for me as well.)

Uwe: Great pictures as usual. Particularly like the capture of the truck, the colors and the PP treatment in general.

Quentin: Thanks for the kind words.

In particular like the B&Ws you shared lately, great implementation of graphical impact in both of them, with a slight preference for the "Gate and Church" picture for my taste.

Jono: Nice pictures of winterly impressions. My favourite is the view from your living room window :). And you make me indecisive again whether to purchase the Sony SEL 18200 or to follow Quentin regarding his enthusiasm about the Tamron ...

João: Outstanding B&W landscape capture, just as remarkable as your Paris pictures. Also great that you resisted to wallow in colors here (for my taste at least).

One more darkish seasonal capture

"Cerberus at Idle Time"

NEX-5N, 16mm/2.8 @ f/4.5 & ISO 800

Hope you like it and thanks for your interest.

V

Vivek

Vivek: Interesting plans regarding the use of the WA converter with the Sony/Zeiss 24mm/1.8 as well. What converter (0.7x) are you using? (Since I own this lens but no converter and that maybe an option for me as well.)
Hermann, I will give more details on the combo plus how it fares on the 16/24 (just a few more days)/30mm lenses, once I have everything together.

jonoslack

Same kit. My biggest issue at that the Nex-7's autofocus hunts badly in poor light.
Yes . . it's not perfect is it - it does work better on spot mode . . . on the other hand, in really really good light (read snow at high altitude in sunlight) it's pretty impossible to see the EVF or the LCD.

The old M9 does have it's advantages (even if the AF is a bit slow)

Michiel Schierbeek

A frozen canal.
I realised that I almost managed the impossible to take a picture in Amsterdam without a car on it.

Michiel

Seems my recent attempt to insert an image from a new to me online space provider didn't work, so here one second try (since I'll have to learn it anyway):

One more darkish seasonal capture

"Cerberus at Idle Time"

NEX-5N, 16mm/2.8 @ f/4.5 & ISO 800

Hope you like it and thanks for your interest.

V

Vivek

Finally got a chance to take the new Sony/Zeiss E-Sonnar 24/1.8 out. All low shutter speed snaps at ISO 400 or 800.

Untitled by Vivek Iyer, on Flickr

As I suspected, AWB works with this lens, even in mixed lighting condition.

Rich M

Finally got a chance to take the new Sony/Zeiss E-Sonnar 24/1.8 out. All low shutter speed snaps at ISO 400 or 800.

As I suspected, AWB works with this lens, even in mixed lighting condition.
So Vivek.....is it a keeper? This lens seems to get trashed on some other forums.

R

V

Vivek

So Vivek.....is it a keeper? This lens seems to get trashed on some other forums.

R
Rich, This is the best lens in the NEX system.

I did not do much justice to it because of the low shutter speed hand held captures. If I manage to find or make a grip for the NEX-7, it would be much better.

The lens has barrel distortion (the predictable, simple kind), a bit of CA in the extreme corners and also a drop in sharpness in the corners. It is big for any NEX, it has a humongous hood and hunts for focus (problem with the NEX) in low light.

I have a 49->52 and 52->37 step ring combo as the lens hood (complete with a 37mm Olympus cap).

It is very sharp. Nearly as sharp as the 40/1.4 pen F lens, giving lots of details. Very flare resistant (unlike the pen F lenses). No worries about pointing it towards any bright sources.

Yes, it is a keeper. :) :thumbup:

Status
Not open for further replies.