The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Fun With Sony Cameras

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rich M

Re: Fun with the NEX cameras....

Hot mirror windows. Shot with IR converted (720nm) NEX5-N and Contax G 28mm f/2.8 Biogon. Raw processed in C1 Pro and in CS5 using Jack Flesher's IR Action.
Beautiful Carl........who converted the 5N? Precision?

R

Rich M

Thanks Rich. It was converted by DigitalSilverImaging (might be someone who was from Precision) and they recently moved their IR conversion service to the west coast.
Wow....the price has really come down from a few years back. The G-body conversions that many had done was almost double that, if I remember correctly.

R

scho

Carl, What does that entail- the "Hot mirror windows"?
Vivek, The windows are completely clear and transparent to visible light but appear to reflect IR strongly, so behave like a hot mirror filter.

V

Vivek

Thanks, Carl.

A few more questions....

The reason for this conversion- is to to get rid of the AA filter?

With the 720nm filter, you are probably imaging in the red/deep red.

Without the 720nm, does it work as you expected it to?

scho

Thanks, Carl.

A few more questions....

The reason for this conversion- is to to get rid of the AA filter?

With the 720nm filter, you are probably imaging in the red/deep red.

Without the 720nm, does it work as you expected it to?
The elimination of the AA filter included removing the IR cut filter included in the filter pack. A 720nm IR pass filter replaced the original filter. This was done for near IR imaging and the AA filter elimination was just a side "benefit".

V

Vivek

Carl, Now, I am confused.

Where does the "hot mirror" come in and why that when going for a dedicated IR cam?

Edit: Got it. Confusing the subject with the camera.:facesmack:
Well, the color palette did not help either.

Last edited:

Cindy Flood

Super Moderator

I really like both versions.

Hot mirror windows. Shot with IR converted (720nm) NEX5-N and Contax G 28mm f/2.8 Biogon. Raw processed in C1 Pro and in CS5 using Jack Flesher's IR Action.

False color version.

scho

I really like both versions.
Thanks Cindy. I'm going to try shooting one of the larger window panels with a longer lens to get a surreal abstract image of the reflection. You can get a better view of the reflections in this full size original image in my DPR gallery.

Last edited:

scho

Carl, Now, I am confused.

Where does the "hot mirror" come in and why that when going for a dedicated IR cam?
The "hot mirror" reference was a loose description of the behavior of the window glass. Nothing to do with the camera. Some modern windows have special coatings to either pass or reflect specific wavelengths. I have no idea what kind of coatings these particular windows have, but they definitely reflect a very strong IR image. See link for some discussion of window coatings.
Windows for High-performance Commercial Buildings

V

Vivek

Thanks, Carl. :)

I figured that out and edited my post while you posted.

(Mostly such window coatings reflect out a bit far ie., longer than 1100nm)

V

Vivek

Nice, Michiel. These areas are way better than the regular tourist infested ones. :)

Michiel Schierbeek

Thank you Vivek and Djordje :)

There so many (new) neighbourhoods to explore! I love the lettering some of these shops have.

Michiel

Michiel Schierbeek

I posted four large panos taken today with the NEX5-N IR and Contax G 45mm f/2 Planar. They were processed in C1 and CS5 (using Jack's IR actions) and exported as 50% jpegs. They seem to get re-sized when the post is viewed.
http://forum.getdpi.com/forum/404660-post166.html
Amazing work Carl! The last one is my favourite because of the a-symmetrical composition and the grey tones.

Michiel

scho

Amazing work Carl! The last one is my favourite because of the a-symmetrical composition and the grey tones.

Michiel
Thank you Michiel. The grey tones are compliments of Jack Flesher's nice 20% grey action for IR toning :salute:

I've been admiring your marvelous facades series and hope to see a nice collection of your fine images in a book sometime soon. You must have a nice collection of Contax lenses and I'd like your opinion on the quality of the Contax 28mm f/2.8. It seems to be readily available at a reasonable price and I wonder how you rate the image quality, compared to other 28s you have used on mirror less cameras.

Status
Not open for further replies.