The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Fun With Sony Cameras

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mark K

re: Fun With Sony _____

Despite my love for all FF cameras...there is one camera which I loved so much..the Minolta 7D...with this amazing 200/2.8 lens...sharp with a teleconverter

MikalWGrass

These were shot at a Roberto Cavalli spring preview in Miami Beach a few years ago. Shot with the a900 and 24-70/2.8 which I since sold and which I kind of wish I still had. Kind of. My wife had a fashion blog at the time and since I didn't have a photographic head to hang my hat on, we were paying guests. During the show, I sat off to the side, not wanting to be a part of the photographic scrum at the end of the runway. Besides, I probably would not have been welcome anyway.

At the end of the show, security came over to me and asked me who I shot for. I told him I was shooting for my wife who was sitting at one of the tables to my right. He then told me to move.:wtf:

Very little touching up on the photos though most were cropped a bit:

cavallisilver1 by MikalWGrass, on Flickr

cavallilights by MikalWGrass, on Flickr

cavalliorange by MikalWGrass, on Flickr

cavalliprint by MikalWGrass, on Flickr

CavalliRed2 by MikalWGrass, on Flickr

cavalliwhiteleg by MikalWGrass, on Flickr

fotografz

Mikal, these are great!

However, they do make me feel all that much older seeing how grown up your son has become. Kids have a way of doing that don't they?

- Marc

MikalWGrass

Marc

Thank you. Those two were born after the wedding that you shot. The older boy is being bar mitzvahed in early January. He is at the age where he doesn't like pics taken.

Yes, time flies.

How are the knees?

Mikal

Mark K

:confused:
Mark, lovely shot and great colors. My ZA 85/1.4 is sitting in bubble wrap on the back seat of my car after it fell off of the a900 and bounced 2x on the sidewalk.

Glad to see someone else is still using the 850/900. Please post more.
I regrettably let my cousin to have a850 but....I do not really like A99. Still waiting for my nex Sony FF camera.
Currently using Nex for shooting underwater

MikalWGrass

Mark,

Nice shots. What housing are you using for the Nex?

These were shot with the a900 and ZA 135/1.8. I fiddled around with the RAW files by using VSCO presets and LR4. I like the greens in the pic of my son but I had a hard time getting the colors correct on the skater because it was a flat, rainy day at the skatepark. The skater is not my son.

ivanpark by MikalWGrass, on Flickr

skatercropped by MikalWGrass, on Flickr

Mark K

Mika
nice shots....135 ZA is my favourite lens.
I had a cheap Meikon housing for Nex5n which was unfortunately flooded. I bought a 10Bar for 5r...

pegelli

Re: Fun with the NEX cameras....

We took a family vacation to Iceland this summer.
Due to weight and size constraints I only took a small NEX set (5 + 6) and 5 lenses (10-18, 16-50 PZ, 18-55 kit, 30 macro and 55-210)

Had lots of fun, and hereby a few impressions:

1: Country road

2: Off the coast of Husavik

3: Sulphur field

4: Thermal energy plant

5: Ants

6: Dettifoss

7: Litlanesfoss

8: East Fjords

9: Stokksness

10: Vatnajokull

11: A small one escaping from the blue monster

12: Öraefajökull

All exif inside, C&C welcome.

pegelli

Re: Fun with the NEX cameras....

Here's some more from the second week of the trip

13: A great Skua on Ingólshöfdi

14: Cliff

15:Lonely Lava Beach

16: Remains of a whale

17: Solidified lava covered with Icelandic moss

18: Not much of a cave when you look into it

19: But pretty big when you walk to the back wall and turn around

20: Coast line

21: Puffin

22: Skógafoss

23: Seljalandsfoss

24: and let's end with a splash: Strokkur exploding

TFL and C&C welcome

MikalWGrass

This past weekend I was asked to shoot a Hip Hop Kidz group that was performing at halftime of the Dolphins - Falcons game here in Miami. It was my first time on the field. While on the field I snuck a few shots of the Dolphins quarterback running a play. The pro photogs were using lenses longer than m right arm. I took a lot of the kids group but because they are young I can't post too many of them. I will post photos of the older kids at a later date. Sony a900 and 70-200/2.9G. Could have used the 1.4x. Photos cropped and toned a bit in VSCO.

dolphins24 by MikalWGrass, on Flickr

Square Format Crop

dolphins by MikalWGrass, on Flickr

MikalWGrass

More from the Dolphins / Falcons game this past Sunday. While suffering from sensory overload because it was my first time on the football field and because I was harried from looking for the kids I was supposed to photograph, I completely missed the surprise of a teenage girl being surprised by the appearance of her US serviceman father who was flown in to surprise her. You can see how the phalanx of photographers crowded the family. It was an incredibly moving moment.

dolphinsreunion by MikalWGrass, on Flickr

dolphinsreunion-2 by MikalWGrass, on Flickr

dolphinsreunion-3 by MikalWGrass, on Flickr

pegelli

Great shots Mikal, They tell a great story!

Yesterday I witnessed a fight. I know on who I will put my money;)

A700 + Tam 17-50

It's hard to believe I last posted here in Nov. 2011, at that time feeling bad over a three month hiatus. :D

jcoffin, congrats on adding a son to the family! Must be over a year old by now. No need to be objective there... You've a right to be proud!

Bill, I love the Arctic photos, especially the fox!

pegelli, those Wroclaw pictures are outstanding. Lots of other good stuff, but those are special.

Mark, love the colors on those underwater shots.

Mikal, sorry to dodge commenting individually but you have posted some nice sports shots.

As for me, shortly after that last post my life was turned upside down. In a good way. All-consuming but good. :D My wife and I had started house-hunting and ramped it up to a fever pitch toward the end of November. On Dec. 12 we made an offer -- 2 days before foreclosure -- on a house on 15 acres in California's Santa Cruz Mountains. It was a short sale, ~40% off what it sold for in 2004 and a price that wouldn't even buy a hut in the adjacent Silicon Valley. The next two months prior to closing at the end of February 2012 alternated between packing to move, doing inspections and repairs on the home(to get a good appraisal), and waiting... nail-biting, agonizing waiting.

After that, it was installing hardwood flooring myself prior to the move, painting the interior, moving, more repairs, cutting trees(one had about a 4' trunk), bringing in 170 tons of rock/gravel for the lane(like a driveway only 1/3 mile long), building a shed, and too many more things to list.

Here are some of the photos I've taken since my last post. All were taken at home except for the motorcycles.

Honeysuckle:

Before/after composite taken with a Sony P&S(Sorry) but it shows some of the tree clearing/gravel work:

Also taken with the same P&S(Sorry), Sony WX-150 from the "driveway"/"lane":

We're at a high enough altitude that we can see the Milky Way most clear nights. I need a filter to cut the light pollution from Santa Cruz/Monterey:

Really should have had my tripod with me...

This is the view from the front room, the great room, and the master bedroom window/deck above the great room. On a clear day we can see the Monterey peninsula:

It's even beautiful when cloudy:

I threw a couple of pounds of California Poppy seeds down the hill beyond the ferns pictured earlier but only a couple of plants grew and bloomed. Will try to plant more this fall:

Sacramento Mile, July 27 this year. The light wasn't good but I did what I could with it:

130MPH in the straights, then pitch sideways into the turns -- probably still over 100mph here, feet up, checking traffic...

Anyone care to guess what my new toy is?

I cut one of the trees to about waist high, as level as I could then put this big blue ceramic bowl on it for a bird bath. A piece of slate propped in there at an angle makes a ramp so the smaller birds aren't "out of their depth". The first was taken some time back just by sneaking up; the rest were taken from a blind. I need to set up a reflector to manage the light -- will try this weekend.

MikalWGrass

Dave, thank you for the kind comments. Great profile you posted, especially the motorcycle shots. Are you sure the track isn't on your property, what with 15 acres and all? What lens did you use for the bike shots?

Again, great stuff.

Status
Not open for further replies.