The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Fun With Sony Cameras

Status
Not open for further replies.

jonoslack

Re: Fun with the A7/7R

Grassing up Tim Ashley:
I know he's got his camera as well - so soon we'll really understand how the A7r works with M lenses!

V

Vivek

Olympus OM 50/1.2 on a local camera shop man.

Untitled by Vivek Iyer, on Flickr
Sony A7R, Olympus OM 50/1.2, f/1.2, ISO400

Sony are yet to ship the dedicated LCD cover for the A7/7R. I bought a regular protection sheet (smart phone cover) for the A7R.

V

Vivek

W-Nikkor-C 2.5cm f/4. A nightmarish lens for digital cameras (but almost as small as a pinhole lens :D ).

A couple of snaps (wet, cold and raining- the A7R got exposed but Sony claims it is water resistant..).

_DSC0067as by Vivek Iyer, on Flickr
Sony A7R, W-Nikkor-C 2.5cm f/4, f/5.6, ISO 1600

_DSC0070s by Vivek Iyer, on Flickr
Sony A7R, W-Nikkor-C 2.5cm f/4, f/5.6, ISO 1600

All I did in LR was a vignetting correction. No corner treatments were done before resizing. With that, it may work well (as is it is fine for me). The corner softening might get better when stopped down. I have to wait for brighter days to check that out.

tashley

Subscriber Member

I'll be starting to post hopefully today - only have M glass and trad E mount so will be limited for a while but will try to come up with something!

tashley

Subscriber Member

Not sure Sony will lend me one, so it'll have to wait until they ship next year - but I will try them and see…

Thanks Vivek for all the great information.
It's refreshing to be sitting this one out. I'm really interested, but I'm waiting to see about the 24-70 f4 zoom before I decide (I'm relying on you to test this one Tim)

all the best
Jono

V

Vivek

The locals (Netherlands) here can buy it off Sony.nl with expected delivery of 22Nov-25Nov! :)

If anyone had some suggestions for some proper usable wide-prime/s from 14mm and up, or perhaps a wide zoom, for the 7 or 7r, and not too expensive, and perhaps some pictures already, that would be very nice.
(I guess the M-summicron's 50/2 and 90/2 could do a proper job.)
thorkil
The cv 21/1.8 did well on the nex-7, I hope it does the same on the a7s.

roanjoh

USA is getting an ample stock too! WAHOOO!!! Can't wait for these cameras to hit this side of the pond. As per sonyalpharumors.com (B&H and Amazon are getting a HUGE batch of stock). Hopefully I hope 2 more things to be thankful for come Thanksgiving!

VIVEK - nice set of images! :) Thanks for sharing - on exotic glasses no less.

Knorp

Sony are yet to ship the dedicated LCD cover for the A7/7R. I bought a regular protection sheet (smart phone cover) for the A7R.
Ha ! This time I beat you to it, Vivek ! Just received my semi hard screen protector (PCK-LM16) and battery charger (BC-TRW) today !

All the best.

tashley

Subscriber Member

Just uploading some semi-useful a7R files. Not tripod, focus bracketed etc but they tell something.

Shot with 18mm Super Elmar M and 35 Lux FLE, there are distant landscape series and lens colour cast shots at major apertures.

In short, 35 FLE has notable casts but you might get away with it at F5.6, which aperture is the first to also show good edge sharpness. F8 is into diffraction territory. Not a bad result but it won't save this lens from being put up for sale soon: its wavy field of focus, also evident in these shots, doesn't suit my style.

The 18mm SE is not a pretty sight on the new Sony: it has strong and complex colour casts that don't settle down enough as you stop down. It also doesn't get near a tight edge until F8. I didn't like this on the M240 and I actively dislike it on the a7R.

LR 5.3 RC doesn't do a great job with the files: there are a lot of visible jagged edges (look for zigzag distant sheep!) but at least it opens them. C1 doesn't and Sony's IDC crashes as if DUI.

More to come tomorrow…

Tim Ashley Photography | Sony A7R | _DSC5903-2

Last edited:
V

Vivek

F8 is into diffraction territory.
Tim, F/8 is not into diffraction territory for the A7R. It is more like f/16 and would be unnoticeable even at f/22 because of Sony massage of the RAW files (they advertise this as a salient feature of the A7R).

Ron Pfister

Tim, F/8 is not into diffraction territory for the A7R. It is more like f/16 and would be unnoticeable even at f/22 because of Sony massage of the RAW files (they advertise this as a salient feature of the A7R).
F/8 is certainly diffraction territory on the D800E, and I'd be surprised if the A7R were any different. It's eminently usable, but F/5.6 definitely shows more micro-contrast on the D800E.

Ron Pfister

Just uploading some semi-useful a7R files...
…snip..
Tim Ashley Photography | Sony A7R | _DSC5903-2
Many thanks for posting these, Tim! Looks like I'll be mounting my Distagon 21 on my A7R ;)

The image of the fallen leaves looks better than I expected, based on the others you took with the 35 lux. Are the corners considerably better when focused closely, or do the OOF edges in this image hide a lot of smearing?

k-hawinkler

Thanks.
Does this apply also to non-native lenses?
Olympus has a similar feature on the E-M1, but only for their lenses.

Status
Not open for further replies.