The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Fun With Sony Cameras

Status
Not open for further replies.

jonoslack

Re: Fun with the A7/7R

Hi Mat
Perhaps there is a little bit of difference in concept here.
My issue was with the guy who gave clear reasons why you should buy one camera over the other, it feels absurd to me that any assumption should be made on a camera based on how it handles lenses it wasn't designed to work with, from a different era, a different manufacturer and for a different style of camera.
On the one hand; I quite agree that it would be crazy to criticise a camera based on assessment using the 'wrong' lenses

However, and on the other hand. It might quite reasonably be a crucial factor in deciding whether or not to buy it.

As it is, I'd be happy to see this thread full of fantastic images, taken with the best lenses possible for the camera, taking full advantage of the technology at hand, processed to the users best artistic vision and displayed here to wow and amaze and inspire.
I'd like to do my best to take these pictures . . . .but unfortunately there isn't a single lens I can buy which is designed for the camera!

One can make pretty reasonable assumptions about which lenses will work well and which won't. I've tried a 50 summilux M, a WATE, a 28-85 vario sonnar and a 60mm macro elmarit R. I expected these to work okay, and it seems that they do!

jonoslack

Ron, Tim, Thank you for the kind words!

It's getting dark now, and I'm supposed to be working, so I guess it should be tomorrow . . . I have got a black and white version of the river shot though - I prefer it to the colour, but it seemed a bit cheeky only to post black and white snaps from a colour camera:

River shot with the WATE

tashley

Subscriber Member

Here's one from today, one of my favourite subjects for exploring separation of planes. The 35 Lux FLE may have colour issues on the A7R but it is a very articulate lens and I like the results from the combination…

Full size

And here's the same file Cornerfixed (Lord I vowed that I wasn't going to get into Cornerfixing images from this camera but I do like the lens…

Full Size

Last edited:

gerald.d

Just wondering how others are getting on with the Canon 24 TSE on the A7r.

I'm just having a look through a few shots I took today (can't share them, sorry), and I'm not entirely convinced the lens is good enough for these small pixels.

Kind regards,

Gerald.

M

mjr

Hi Mat
Perhaps there is a little bit of difference in concept here.

On the one hand; I quite agree that it would be crazy to criticise a camera based on assessment using the 'wrong' lenses

However, and on the other hand. It might quite reasonably be a crucial factor in deciding whether or not to buy it.

I'd like to do my best to take these pictures . . . .but unfortunately there isn't a single lens I can buy which is designed for the camera!

One can make pretty reasonable assumptions about which lenses will work well and which won't. I've tried a 50 summilux M, a WATE, a 28-85 vario sonnar and a 60mm macro elmarit R. I expected these to work okay, and it seems that they do!
Jono, please excuse my obtuseness, thanks for posting your shots, they show clearly how great images can be produced by the camera, even with lenses that are designed for rangefinders!

Enjoy, I look forward to seeing more as you get chance to shoot.

Mat

jonoslack

Hi Mat
Jono, please excuse my obtuseness, thanks for posting your shots, they show clearly how great images can be produced by the camera, even with lenses that are designed for rangefinders!

Enjoy, I look forward to seeing more as you get chance to shoot.

Mat
I certainly certainly wasn't accusing you of being obtuse (or anyone else). It just seemed like an argument at cross purposes, that's all.

. . . and thanks for the kind words.

As far as lenses are concerned - I'm rather excited by the prospect of using some of the old Zeiss Contax fit lenses - they're more affordable than Leica R lenses, and there are some winners.

The 28-85 zoom is lovely - it's a one touch zoom (long out of fashion), but it actually works rather well - here is a nice link, but make sure your eyes don't stray too far (it can get very expensive!)

Zeiss 28-85 vario sonnar

jonoslack

Here's one from today, one of my favourite subjects for exploring separation of planes. The 35 Lux FLE may have colour issues on the A7R but it is a very articulate lens and I like the results from the combination…
Hi Tim
Was that wide open? The vignetting is pretty obvious, but the colour shift doesn't look too bad (and of course, that's the tough bit)

RVB

Some of you might have seen this combo already,just handled it today and love the feel of it,works really well... :thumb up:

Many thanks to Mike at NIVO-Schweitzer.nl for being so helpful..

tashley

Subscriber Member

Hi Tim
Was that wide open? The vignetting is pretty obvious, but the colour shift doesn't look too bad (and of course, that's the tough bit)
F2.8 old chap. I also posted a Cornerfixed version, which shows that the colour shift is quite strong but gets partially lost in the possibility of a bruised sky colour. Vignetting is strong but actually the picture looks better with at least some, I think!

jonoslack

And here's the same file Cornerfixed (Lord I vowed that I wasn't going to get into Cornerfixing images from this camera but I do like the lens…
HI Tim
The cornerfixed one looks much worse than the original (nasty colour on the right hand side especially) . . . . and I promise I'm not going to get into corner fix with this camera!

k-hawinkler

F2.8 old chap. I also posted a Cornerfixed version, which shows that the colour shift is quite strong but gets partially lost in the possibility of a bruised sky colour. Vignetting is strong but actually the picture looks better with at least some, I think!

Hi Tim, that didn't seem to fix it to my eyes.
Now you have half a rainbow to the right side.
I think for this FL I will use the native lens.

jonoslack

Exposure Mode ?

Ho-Hum - what are you using for these adapted lenses. Having made the stupid mistake of leaving it on P mode I notice that RVB has his on A mode with the Noctilux (which also doesn't make much sense!).

Is S mode the answer? that way you can set the aperture manually, choose a sensible shutter speed and let Auto ISO do the talking (seems good at 5000 to me!)

Whaddyareckon?

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor

Really better off shooting a LCC to fix the magenta and vignetting of these lenses. Its the most accurate way to clean it up.

jonoslack

Really better off shooting a LCC to fix the magenta and vignetting of these lenses. Its the most accurate way to clean it up.
. . . . or use a different lens! I've made a vow that I'm not going to use any lens which requires this sort of work doing to it. . . . . .really! :)dh2:)

algrove

Jono

Glad to see you made the trip in 15 minutes instead of 20 as you might have chickened out and then we would have missed your lovely images.

That old Contax zoom sure produces excellent images on this camera too. Just for my knowledge as I might get mine next month (fingers crossed), what are you doing for PP. Can you import directly into LR yet? Do you convert the ARW files to DNG? Do you need LR 5.3?

algrove

Showperformance

Curious what dealer sold you the A7 in the US? Or did you buy it overseas like Cindy did?

Status
Not open for further replies.