The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Fun With Sony Cameras

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: Fun with the A7/7R

Chad, thanks for posting the actions shots. How did the A7 handle the action?
Really excellent Mikal. No complaints at all.

To me, this is what makes the A7(r) such a watershed camera. It can do so many things well.

Want it to be an action cam? no problem. How about an unobtrusive compact? yup. What about a high res landscape cam? sure. Ok, what about a low light monster? yes, sir.

The interface is solid, with only a couple niggles or omitted features, and the IQ has been outstanding with the lenses I have selected to use with it. Btw, the Minolta 35/2 is a winner on the A7 - as expected.

mjm6

Hi everyone,
I have been busy this week-end shooting the A7R and a HOST of M lenses...I am satisfied that everything 28 mm (summcricron) and above would suit my purposes, and in particular, the longer lenses work great, with precision focus.... I am definitely getting one, at this point, not that there was really any doubt...

I plan to post my comments and thoughts along the way, but I am impressed....it's not, by any means, a faultless camera, but the sensor shines in many regards!

Ashwin,

Love the images... really shows off a few things I wanted to see/know, in particular the B&W rendering with the camera (I presume this was done in LR rather than in the camera).

However, this firs shot is disturbing to me, and would have me not using the camera, (or possibly camera-lens combo). The OOF fringes along the wires shift from green to magenta in focus, and then green again. Also, the OOF person in the foreground has a distinct magenta halo to him.

This may be an extreme case for the effect, and in most normal circumstances it may not show. Do you have other examples of OOF highlights that may show this trend?

I am thinking this is related to the lens used, and not inherent to the camera, so a little info on the lens would be helpful as well...

Thanks,

---Michael

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor

. . . . or use a different lens! I've made a vow that I'm not going to use any lens which requires this sort of work doing to it. . . . . .really! :)dh2:)
I agree. It's a digital back and like a medium format back some lenses just won't work. But I agree if you have the glass it's worth a try. I have a Leica 19mm R lens which I would love to work on this and it probably would. I need to justify this since I already have a D800e.

mjm6

...Just as a followup, this image appears to show absolutely none of the problem noted in the above image, but it does appear to show a bit of magenta shift on the top throughout the image (not specifically on the highlights). Is this a different lens, different aperture?

Overall, the images look really great. I'm getting more excited about getting my hands on an a7r soon... I guess I'd better get an order in.

---Michael

mjm6

I agree. It's a digital back and like a medium format back some lenses just won't work. But I agree if you have the glass it's worth a try. I have a Leica 19mm R lens which I would love to work on this and it probably would. I need to justify this since I already have a D800e.
Guy,

I, too have a 19mm... love that lens, and really want to see some results with that lens on an a7r. I could see it suffering some, since it has had mirror interference issues with some cameras, so the rear element is a bit closer than most.

I suspect it will be fine overall, though, since it is retrofocal.

---Michael

Michiel Schierbeek

The postman managed to deliver the camera half an hour before dark :p

For people interested in wide alternatives i managed to take some shots before dark and twilight. Ran out the door with 2 lenses. Hope you excuse me for lack of creativity.

The minolta MD does better, as far I can see now. The FD vignettes a lot (25 correction in ACR and the MD 3)
So the files are corrected to see what I can make of it, no colour corner corrections though.

]

Uploaded 3x the same :loco: To busy...

Last edited:

tashley

Subscriber Member

HI Tim
The cornerfixed one looks much worse than the original (nasty colour on the right hand side especially) . . . . and I promise I'm not going to get into corner fix with this camera!
Yup, it has got rid of the heavy bruised purple and added some strange stuff of its own. There's a 50:50 chance that the shot was at F2 and not F2.8 and that I therefore used the wrong profile - which is why I don't like using cornerfix for these things - but i will persevere a bit because the rendering of the lens itself is nice!

tashley

Subscriber Member

Hi Tim, that didn't seem to fix it to my eyes.
Now you have half a rainbow to the right side.
I think for this FL I will use the native lens.
I agree - or at least I think I agree but will need to see how the native lens does when I get it, hopefully very soon. The 35 Lux FLE is very marginal because of the colour issues and because you need to stop it down to F8 or 11 to get acceptable corners, but if I can tweak Cornerfix settings to get an acceptable result it might still be useful because it does some things really well...

anGy

Hi Angy,

I did indeed mention the jaggies further up the thread and postulate that it relates to the LR 5.3 RC processing. I can even see them on a Retina at 1:1 so it's not just a 100% thing and they annoy me. I agree with you that the pixel level detail is not as stellar as I expected (why I suggested to Jono that he might wait but as usual he ignored me!).

As for the mid range, maybe, I'm not sure, but it does look as if they might have put some more 'math in the middle' because the shadows aren't as clean as a D800… which could also be because the sensor is on all the time and therefore on average warmer...
Hi Tim,
I just spent a few more hours comparing LR 5RC & Sony IDC.
It's a strange little raw developer from Sony but the good news for me is that it shows way better pixel quality. Let's hope Adobe will do its homework asap.

So far I like the colors (saturated and accurate) and the absence of dull flat mid tones aka D800.

jonoslack

Well, these are taken in the kitchen with questionable light, using a Hawks bay adapter with the 50 'lux. AWB and Auto ISO, with a shutter speed set at 1/120th.

Quince at 640 ISO

Books at 3200 ISO

Recipe's at 320 ISO

jonoslack

Here are a couple with the 60 macro elmarit and stacked adapters.

Pickled Lemon f2.8 2000 ISO

Smiths f2.8 640 ISO

MikalWGrass

Chad, thanks for the report. I loved the images. Did you post any with the 135/1.8 or only with the 200/2.8? I think I may go for the A7R in a bit after things calm down here. I am happy to know the 35/2 will be a stellar performer. As long as the 70-200/2.8, the 35, the 135, and maybe an 85 will work, I will be thrilled.

As things now stand, I intend only to use A mount lenses on the A7R. My 2 R lenses are adapted for the a900 so I will leave it at that. My few M lenses I will leave alone to shoot on the M6.

Thanks again. Please post more when and if you have a chance.:salute:

Mikal,

Other than a few test snaps I have not used the 135mm Zeiss in action but based on those shots, it looks to perform as wonderfully as it does on the A900.

Chad

tashley

Subscriber Member

Hi Tim,
I just spent a few more hours comparing LR 5RC & Sony IDC.
It's a strange little raw developer from Sony but the good news for me is that it shows way better pixel quality. Let's hope Adobe will do its homework asap.

So far I like the colors (saturated and accurate) and the absence of dull flat mid tones aka D800.

Unfortunately IDC crashes for me, but I know that LR will eventually do a better job. Thank you for showing what we have to look forward to!

Ron Pfister

Tim, have you compared converting ARWs directly in LR 5.3 RC to converting to DNG with Adobe DNG Converter and processing the DNGs in LR 5.2 or 4.4? I wonder if you might get around the jaggies by converting to DNG.

tashley

Subscriber Member

No Ron - I merely have faith that Adobe will get it right soon, they generally do! And until I get some native FE glass, I am not truly testing the A7R. If I want to get to the bottom of it sooner, I'll probably shoot some pegs and see what happens!

anGy

Just wondering how others are getting on with the Canon 24 TSE on the A7r.

I'm just having a look through a few shots I took today (can't share them, sorry), and I'm not entirely convinced the lens is good enough for these small pixels.

Kind regards,

Gerald.
Hi Gerald,
Testing the A7r with the Canon 24mm TS mkII & metabones adapter since 2 days.
For me the good news are:
I am quite satisfied by the Canon lens and metabones adapter build quality. The adapter fit the lens tightly, no play, that's good.
Even at full shift on the 24mm length vignetting is not a problem at all.
Shifting 12mm on the 36mm length of the sensor shows clear vignetting but I find it not extreme nor problematic (shifting DB on Cambo with Rodenstock lenses quickly brings this amount of vignetting too).

However my very first shots were disappointing, following 'first shots' were less disappointing but still not convincing.

2 Main issues:
1. the look of the files when pixel peeping: soft micro contrast, missing details (like they are erased by a noise reduction setting) and jagged edges (saying 'hey, stop pushing those cursors, you won't recover the 'missing' details this way).
After testing Image Data Converter from Sony I could find the sharp resolution I was waiting for from this camera. This software is too strange/limited to be used all day but at least it gives me hope that the LR5 release candidate will be optimized any time soon and give good results for the A7r.
Using very conservative sharpness settings in LR5 RC like (25/0,7/0/20) and sharpen in photoshop works better than pushing the cursors in LR5 - but Sony IDC software still performs better for sharpness.

2. lens borders/corners resolution
Point 1 is related to center resolution. Border/corner resolution is not really great, always...: few shots with blurred extreme borders and corners but mostly on the right side. Maybe due to an alignement issue ? need to deeper test it as it doesn't show up on every shot (maybe due to a missed focus or maybe related to the position of the moving tilting element of the lens ? don't know).

Okay, that's my early findings so far. Please share yours too.

Michiel Schierbeek

@anGy; I believe you're right. I don't get the detail, in ACR as well, as with the NEX-7
I am going to try Sony software tomorrow.

Also still did not have the time to shoot in full daylight, so let's see.

Status
Not open for further replies.