The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Fun With Sony Cameras

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hausen

Re: Fun with the A7/7R

Had mine since Friday and the adaptors seem to be the key for me. I have Zeiss 15 2.8 ZF.2 which i had on with a Fotodiox adaptor and B&W 95mm 10 stop ND filter. Kept getting light in there somewhere and finally put some tape across where the lens joins adaptor and viola! Wasted pretty much all my shots though so nothing of significance to post. Doing some test stuff with my 28 Summicron over next couple of days though. Really hope it is good because that could be my main user.

J

JohnW

Well, these are taken in the kitchen with questionable light, using a Hawks bay adapter with the 50 'lux. AWB and Auto ISO, with a shutter speed set at 1/120th.

Quince at 640 ISO
So that's quince. I've never seen one in a US market. I assume you eat them with a runcible spoon. I like the photo, too.

John

Annna T

Annna, all salient points but I believe you're missing what my post was about, not entirely surprising, it was early and I am often less than clear.

My issue was with the guy who gave clear reasons why you should buy one camera over the other, it feels absurd to me that any assumption should be made on a camera based on how it handles lenses it wasn't designed to work with, from a different era, a different manufacturer and for a different style of camera. There's no reason why you shouldn't try it for your existing lenses, I hope it works and you enjoy using it. If it doesn't work and you come back to say that the camera is no good because your old contax lenses aren't producing the goods then I'll say the same to you,it's an absurd statement.

As it is, I'd be happy to see this thread full of fantastic images, taken with the best lenses possible for the camera, taking full advantage of the technology at hand, processed to the users best artistic vision and displayed here to wow and amaze and inspire.

Mat
This guy was just answering to my questions concerning the use of Contax G lenses with the A7/A7r. I didn't read his comment as a general statement on the respective merits of these two cameras in absolute, it was just said in a particular context. We all know it is tricky to adapt lenses, they may work or not.

There are two ways of buying gear : you can start with a set of lens you have and look for the best body supporting them, or you can start with a body (or a sensor) and hope that more good lenses will come. The first way IMO is more prevalent right now, because there are very few FE lenses available. But both ways are equally valid.

mjm6

Oké a quick test before sleep. Put it on auto ISO and snap away at night.:)

Michiel,

That's a lens that I used to have and was thinking about getting to pair with a a7r. Please post some comments on how you feel it works once you have used it a bit.

---Michael​

ashwinrao1

More testing from today. This is a temperamental sensor. I have seen some vignetting and color shifts using the "grey day" torture tests, shooting the 50 lux asph and 35 summarit...Yet, I continue to find the files enjoyable in terms of workability:

W.Utsch

@anGy:
Are you using the TSE 24 II, i think there is an old version as well.
After my first tests with that lens (see posts above) i can not report the same problems you have. This lens gives imo very sharp corners even tilted and/or shifted. you should however stop down to F8 with tilt/shift.

Thorkil

Hi Tim,
I just spent a few more hours comparing LR 5RC & Sony IDC.
It's a strange little raw developer from Sony but the good news for me is that it shows way better pixel quality. Let's hope Adobe will do its homework asap.

So far I like the colors (saturated and accurate) and the absence of dull flat mid tones aka D800.

This is very sparkling!
How much pp (and what) was needed to achieve this?
And which lens?
thorkil

V

Vivek

Canon 50/0.95 at its minimum focus distance. Wide open, the glow is there but the image quality is far better than the ones I got from any NEX.

Sony A7R, Canon 50/0.95, f/0.95

anGy

@anGy:
Are you using the TSE 24 II, i think there is an old version as well.
After my first tests with that lens (see posts above) i can not report the same problems you have. This lens gives imo very sharp corners even tilted and/or shifted. you should however stop down to F8 with tilt/shift.
Yes, using the mkII version.
I've made other tests this morning to check the corners. Want to know if the blur in the corners is due to low lens resolution or to field curvature focus f.i. So I've made a serie of images with careful center / right corner / left corner focus @ f9. Still have to analyze them but adjusting focus (live view & focus aid) on the right corner seems to give better overall focus than focussing on the center of the frame on my lens.
Quite annoying to check with the poor LR5 RC sharpness or the strange Sony IDC software.

anGy

This is very sparkling!
How much pp (and what) was needed to achieve this?
And which lens?
thorkil
Developped using Sony IDC raw developer (that is applying very strong default sharpness that needs to be calmed down) then just PS reducing for the Web. I believe the sparkling effect also comes from the hard diffuser used on the flash head. Crop from Canon 24mm TS mkII lens.

jfirneno

And here is one with the WATE (which, as expected, looks just fine).

the River
Jono:
What a great shot. In addition to envying you that great lens, I envy the fact that the trees in your neck of the woods still have leaves and the water is still liquid.

Best regards,
John

V

Vivek

I have ground down the front filter ring on an Olympus pen F 38/1.8 and most of the extreme dark corners have lightened up. It still looks like I will have a bit more grinding to do. May be later. It is a fantastic lens (more on that later) also the cheapest and easy to find of the pen F lens series.

At ~0.6m

Untitled by Vivek Iyer, on Flickr
Sony A7R, Olympus pen F 38/1.8, f/2

Vignette correction was done in LR.

jonoslack

COngrats on the purchase, Jono, and incredible images so far!
Hi Ashwin
Fun while it lasted, but mine is now packed up and ready go to back to WEX (all organised).

I just realised that there wasn't a situation where I'd pick it over either the M(240) or the E-M1 to get me better images . . . so it was silly to keep it. (I've started a separate thread about it if you're really interested).

:cry: I did love it though :cry:

Tim Ashley Told Me It wasn't for me - but I didn't listen!

gerald.d

Hi Gerald,
Testing the A7r with the Canon 24mm TS mkII & metabones adapter since 2 days.
For me the good news are:
I am quite satisfied by the Canon lens and metabones adapter build quality. The adapter fit the lens tightly, no play, that's good.
Even at full shift on the 24mm length vignetting is not a problem at all.
Shifting 12mm on the 36mm length of the sensor shows clear vignetting but I find it not extreme nor problematic (shifting DB on Cambo with Rodenstock lenses quickly brings this amount of vignetting too).

However my very first shots were disappointing, following 'first shots' were less disappointing but still not convincing.

2 Main issues:
1. the look of the files when pixel peeping: soft micro contrast, missing details (like they are erased by a noise reduction setting) and jagged edges (saying 'hey, stop pushing those cursors, you won't recover the 'missing' details this way).
After testing Image Data Converter from Sony I could find the sharp resolution I was waiting for from this camera. This software is too strange/limited to be used all day but at least it gives me hope that the LR5 release candidate will be optimized any time soon and give good results for the A7r.
Using very conservative sharpness settings in LR5 RC like (25/0,7/0/20) and sharpen in photoshop works better than pushing the cursors in LR5 - but Sony IDC software still performs better for sharpness.

2. lens borders/corners resolution
Point 1 is related to center resolution. Border/corner resolution is not really great, always...: few shots with blurred extreme borders and corners but mostly on the right side. Maybe due to an alignement issue ? need to deeper test it as it doesn't show up on every shot (maybe due to a missed focus or maybe related to the position of the moving tilting element of the lens ? don't know).

Okay, that's my early findings so far. Please share yours too.
Hiya -

I'm beginning to wonder whether in fact part of my problem is with the Sony Image Data Processing software. I'm a bit lost to be honest as I've become so used to working with Capture One.

I've shot another bunch of images, this time upping the aperture to f/11. Initial ones were shot at f/5.6 (I was concerned about diffraction). The f/11 shots seem to be a lot better with regards sharpness across the whole frame. Perhaps part of it is technique as I'm not used to shooting handheld.

I can't quite put my finger on what it is that's nagging me, but I think it's something to do with the tonality. The images just seem to be a lot more "digital" than what I've become used to with the IQ180.

I'll keep on plugging away at it :)

Kind regards,

Gerald.

Shashin

The images just seem to be a lot more "digital" than what I've become used to with the IQ180..
I have noticed the difference between my RX-1 and Pentax 645D. The Sony seems to have punchier saturation. Sony has also kept that Minolta warmth/yellow bias. The RX-1 images are fine, but the comparison is noticeable. It is kind of like the difference between Kodak and Fuji film.

W.Utsch

The ZE 35/2.8 arrived yesterday.
First impressions:

AF, not tested before because had no AF lens, is very fast with A7R, definitive faster than on NEX7 and RX1.
The lens is small and light makes the 7 almost an RX!.

Sharpness is great wide open to the corners oc. a little less, improves with higher F-stops fast.
It is, as i knew and expected, a completely different experience compered to adapted lenses. Will keep it fore for sure.

I think the Sonnar in the RX1 is a little better.

DSC04239.jpg by W.Utsch, on Flickr

A7R ZE 35/2.8 @2.8

DSC04248.jpg by W.Utsch, on Flickr

Same as above

DSC04244.jpg by W.Utsch, on Flickr

@F 4.0​

Status
Not open for further replies.