The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Fun With Sony Cameras

Status
Not open for further replies.

jonoslack

Re: Fun with the A7/7R

Two from this morning

The first one was shot with the Noctilux wide open (f0.95) in the early morning light - I have to say, the focusing is really good - I managed to get quite a lot of running shots in reasonable focus.

The second shot was with the 50 summilux at f5.6 - amazing detail in this.

If you click on the title you should be taken to a full sized jpg.

Michiel Schierbeek

@ Vivek; that Canon lens is great!

A few with my favourite wide zoom on the NEX-7 for street work. As I thought, it works like a charm on the A7r as well.

algrove

Well Jono

Sad news you are returning it. Guess your trip back was 20+ minutes versus the day you went to pick it up.

I will miss your great images and your meaningful input.

@ashwin

Did you order your camera overseas or get the first US copy? Thanks for posting.

Too early to draw a conclusion, I just got today a good working adapter, but I think this is another good M wide for the Sony A7R. With this one and the WATE I can easily cover my ultra wide needs.
Between 21mm and 35 mm I think I will manage with Leica R, Nikkor an Pentax SRL lenses, above I do not foresee any problem.

jonoslack

Too early to draw a conclusion, I just got today a good working adapter, but I think this is another good M wide for the Sony A7R. With this one and the WATE I can easily cover my ultra wide needs.
Between 21mm and 35 mm I think I will manage with Leica R, Nikkor an Pentax SRL lenses, above I do not foresee any problem.
Hi Ario
This does look good - maybe Leica made it a bit more tele centric to make their life easier!

As for other lenses . . . . don't forget the Zeiss Contax lenses - they can be had quite reasonably, and they're right up there in the Leica territory.

35-70 f4 - lovely lens (and lovely shot as well Ario)

Lou - thanks for the kind words - I might change my mind when the 24-70 zoom comes out - who knows!

Michiel Schierbeek

Many thanks Michiel. Stunning shots! Excellent image quality! Which adapter are you using?
Thank you!
Just a simple Pixco adapter available at many Chinese sellers.
I have many Pixco adapters and they all worked fine on my NEX-7.
Mostly they are a little passed infinity but that is no problem with the quality peaking on th A7r.

V

Vivek

@ Vivek; that Canon lens is great!

Thanks, Michiel. :) It isn't a Canon lens but an Olympus pen F (half frame) lens. Smaller, lighter, closer focusing and better constructed than a few versions of the Summicron M 35mm lens. :)

V

Vivek

Oh yes! Got it! :) That was cheaper than any Summicron as well! ;)

anGy

Hiya -

I'm beginning to wonder whether in fact part of my problem is with the Sony Image Data Processing software. I'm a bit lost to be honest as I've become so used to working with Capture One.

I've shot another bunch of images, this time upping the aperture to f/11. Initial ones were shot at f/5.6 (I was concerned about diffraction). The f/11 shots seem to be a lot better with regards sharpness across the whole frame. Perhaps part of it is technique as I'm not used to shooting handheld.

I can't quite put my finger on what it is that's nagging me, but I think it's something to do with the tonality. The images just seem to be a lot more "digital" than what I've become used to with the IQ180.

I'll keep on plugging away at it :)

Kind regards,

Gerald.
For me the sweet spot is f9. No visible gain to my eyes in the corners at f11 or up but just a bit less center resolution than f9. F5,6 has even better resolution at center but with clearly degraded corners.

When focussed carefully (check center & corners) right & left corners are the same, no alignment issue, good Metabones adapter. Nonetheless I'm not impressed by those corners. But the reason for that is probably the same as yours: having used the IQ180…

I'm still having issue when pixel peeping, can't find the right settings (too soft vs too much artifacts) but I must say that I'm pleased by the colors and overall look of the Sony files (was a bit worried they could look like the D800 I don't like).

What's nagging me with this A7r is the impression of using an electronic device that is closer to an iPhone 5 than a film camera.
However the EVF and absence of mirror, tilting rear LCD, focus aid, compatibility with all sorts of lenses make it a great 'little' digital tech cam for landscape and architecture, at least in theory and this is why I'm using it with the Canon 24mm TS.

But I'm now wondering if a low pass filter version shouldn't be preferable to get rid of those digital artifacts (in the very fine details only but they're quite important in landscape/architecture).

Secretly hoping that Capture 1 will solve that soon, Phase One guys do certainly have a huge experience in that matter.

Last edited:
V

Vivek

What is this? Moire or jpg compression? :confused: Anything less than 150% shows this (area in yellow outline). The much larger blinds (red outline) are OK.

Untitled by Vivek Iyer, on Flickr
Sony A7R, Olympus OM 85/2, f/8

This shows while looking through the EVF before capture and in camera after capture and after conversion (LR 5.3 RC).

Ron Pfister

Yes, looks like aliasing (in both areas, but much milder in the red one)

Edit: is this an OOC JPEG? Do you have a RAW file of this image? If so, I suggest converting it with RC 8.3 of Adobe DNG Converter, and then taking a look at the DNG in LR or whatever your favorite RAW processor may be...

V

Vivek

Ron, I did the conversion in LR. Dowloading the stand alone adobe 8.3 RC. RAW capture only.

Status
Not open for further replies.