The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Fun With Sony Cameras

Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Deleted member 7792

Re: Fun with the A7/7R

Ron Pfister said:
Many thanks for the kind words, Joe! I exclusively use LR for my B&W conversions. I love how drastically you can adjust well-focused images taken with modern sensors after converting to B&W.
Well done, regardless of the tool used.

Ron Pfister said:
I inject the lens-specific EXIF info into my RAW files, (ab)using the jb CaptureTime to EXIF plugin, but LensTagger is probably the better option these days. Both of them use Exiftool. For rendering the EXIF on export, I use the LR/Mogrify 2 plugin. Takes a bit of fiddling to get everything just so, but works flawlessly thereafter.
I use LR/Mogrify 2 as well as my own scripts, depending upon the "look" I'm after. There's a user's guide of sorts for LR/Mogrify 2 on my website, that's based on my own experience using the plugin.

Thanks for the response to my questions.

Joe

roanjoh

A few to share:

From the 35 2.8 FE

From the 35 Lux ASPH

Some impression - Camera is AMAZING!! Fits my hand like a glove! Nice grip. Manual focusing took a bit of time to get used to - but once mastered, it is easy to master (2 quick press of the C1 button). I wish they implemented it with one press like when manually focusing on the native FE lenses. 35 FE is a sharp, light lens that compliments the A7 (AF is not the most accurate in low light). 35 Lux ASPH shines - amazingly sharp even wide open, a bit of vignette and color cast in the edges - nothing that bothers me. Apple Aperture needs to catch up and do RAW support ASAP!

S

Shelby Lewis

Finally, a 35mm camera that might check off all the boxes for me, personally. Loving the look of these images, folks.

Thorkil

any more suggestions on affordable wides, in 14-20mm region, that will work? anyone tried the 14mm Samyang for Nikon mount?
thorkil

V

Vivek

:thumbup:
seems that nikkor lenses are a go too, even the wider ones.
thorkil
Yup. :) The 20/3.5 AiS used here was the cheaper 20mm lens in the old Nikon line up. Around 1m distance this has quite a bit of barrel distortion. I have Rolleinar 21/4 that is much flatter (waiting for an adapter) but the Nikkor is very resistant to flare. I think the 14-24/2.8 zoom would be fantastic (big beast). Unfortunately, I do not have that anymore.

Thorkil

Thanks Vivek. Yes its gone the 14-24, seems to be too bulky, too. But IF I go for Sony it will be the A7, while the comparometer show very litle difference in sharpnes, AA-filter or not:
Imaging Resource "Comparometer" ™ Digital Camera Image Comparison Page
(I always look at still-life 400 the bottle with the Hellas lady), the A7 seems to have the same crispness like the 7R, but I don't need those HUGE files, while coming home from an Building assignment with the risk of perhaps 100-1000 Pictures(in Jpegs and Raw), that’s way too much..
and then I would go with my somewhat underrated Nikkor 20/2.8D, but its still sharper than many zooms, buy the Samyang 14mm, later Sigma 35 Art etc.
But even though the Sony has more crispness than Nikon, the biggest issue might be focusing, and being on building-assignments(where just details are important to catch) where it is nice that everything is functioning fast and unproblematic, and I'm not good at focus-peaking and looking at screens (but perhaps zone-focusing and guessing would go, but..)…that could create mental problems...so a D610 is still silently tapping on my shoulder
:)
thorkil

Herman, Great photographs whatever the camera, beautifully balanced framing. WELL DONE
Wonderfull Hermann! I am happy I have that lens as well!
(...)
Yarrums: Thank you for your kind words and the encouragement! Really very much appreciated. And welcome to GetDPIforums!

Michiel: Thanks a lot. And I'm quite confident, you'll enjoy that humble lens as well. For my puposes the 24mm FL ist by far the most important and so I really enjoy the A7R with the little FDn instead of carrying my D 800 and the 24mm, f/1.4, if and when the speed of the latter isn't mandatory. :)

And, of course, thanks for all the "likes" as well!

Last edited:
V

Vivek

Thanks Vivek. Yes its gone the 14-24, seems to be too bulky, too. But IF I go for Sony it will be the A7, while the comparometer show very litle difference in sharpnes, AA-filter or not:
Imaging Resource "Comparometer" ™ Digital Camera Image Comparison Page
(I always look at still-life 400 the bottle with the Hellas lady), the A7 seems to have the same crispness like the 7R, but I don't need those HUGE files, while coming home from an Building assignment with the risk of perhaps 100-1000 Pictures(in Jpegs and Raw), that’s way too much..
and then I would go with my somewhat underrated Nikkor 20/2.8D, but its still sharper than many zooms, buy the Samyang 14mm, later Sigma 35 Art etc.
But even though the Sony has more crispness than Nikon, the biggest issue might be focusing, and being on building-assignments(where just details are important to catch) where it is nice that everything is functioning fast and unproblematic, and I'm not good at focus-peaking and looking at screens (but perhaps zone-focusing and guessing would go, but..)…that could create mental problems...so a D610 is still silently tapping on my shoulder
:)
thorkil
I can happily report that the old Micro Nikkor 55/3.5 is just superb on the A7R. :) No Nikon nut should be without one! :lecture: :D

philber

Michiel, the first of your two Dutch landscapes is a pure delight! And your APO Telyt makes me green with jealousy, even though I could never use such a long lens.

Status
Not open for further replies.