The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Fun With Sony Cameras

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ron Pfister

Re: Fun with the A7/7R

I am also thinking it might be the adapter. I'll test my MP100 with my two adapters when I get a chance and will report back.

Ron Pfister

I just checked by taking images of a 1m distant white wall with the lens set to infinity: no signs of vignetting with either adapter (Metabones N/F II and modified Voigtländer F). It must be your adapter, Tim. I think this warrants a note in the Adaptor Thread...

k-hawinkler

I just checked by taking images of a 1m distant white wall with the lens set to infinity: no signs of vignetting with either adapter (Metabones N/F II and modified Voigtländer F). It must be your adapter, Tim. I think this warrants a note in the Adaptor Thread...

Thanks Ron. Have you tried focus at infinity? The problem may be there?

Ron Pfister

Yes, focus was at infinity (see my original post). Actually, MFD would likely be worse, since the rear element is retracted into the lens when focusing in that direction.

Ron Pfister

I just checked on the MTF site, and couldn't find the Nikon-G to Sony-E adapter listed anywhere. Looks like they're aware of the problem (same as Voigtländer).

tashley

Subscriber Member

Tim, thanks once again for a very useful set of images. The problems with the 100 Makro Planar surprise me, given the lovely results I see from the 90 Summicron. I thought lenses above 75mm or so would be what a Finnish friend of mine used to call "easy cake".

Looking at the landscape images it does not appear to be simply an intensity vignette, but some physical interference that is killing resolution as well. Could it be the adaptor?

You say it clears up by about f5.6, but sensitive old me remains bothered through the entire series.
Yup I agree that it probably is bothersome even though I like a bit of vignetting, and that it doesn't really clean up enough. I think it is possibly the adaptor, though so far it hasn't given a problem with anything else. But it might just be the hood in conjunction with the adaptor so at some stage I will try to shoot again without the hood. OTOH, the A7R is tending to give slightly better results in terms of resolution with many of these lenses, because it is possible to critical focus more easily. In general I would prefer to use the Leica M Macro Elmar F4 90mm because it behaves very nicely on the A7R and is a darned sight lighter and easier to hold!

tashley

Subscriber Member

The Zeiss 21mm F2.8 on the same adaptor seems not to have a problem:
Aperture series

The Samyang 14mm F2.8 has more natural vignetting but again, no apparent adaptor problem… another aperture series

though of course there are some colour shading issues with both...

Taylor Sherman

Yes, I think you can. If that isn't possible the e curtain does not work while in the continuous shooting mode.

The FF plugin cleans up the color issue nicely but what to do with the mush from the Cosina 15? That lens is absolutely a horror on the Leica MM.
It works OK for me, for such a tiny lens. I wouldn't look for detail in the corners though, no. I may get tired of the mush eventually, we'll see.

DSC09681_ff.jpg by Taylor Sherman, on Flickr

DSC09767_ff.jpg by Taylor Sherman, on Flickr

Ron Pfister

Works well for these subjects, Taylor. Nice! :)

That's the sticking point for me regarding wide M-mount lenses on the A7R: they may well work satisfactorily for some subjects, but definitely not for others. I'm not sure I want to take that chance, only having M-lenses in my bag. I'd rather go for compact SLR-lenses throughout, and then I'm sure I've got my bases covered...

V

Vivek

It works OK for me, for such a tiny lens. I wouldn't look for detail in the corners though, no.
When such a thought is held, it works well on a M camera as well. :) The lens is superb for a 10-12mm image circle though! :)

Ron Pfister

Yup I agree that it probably is bothersome even though I like a bit of vignetting, and that it doesn't really clean up enough. I think it is possibly the adaptor, though so far it hasn't given a problem with anything else. But it might just be the hood in conjunction with the adaptor so at some stage I will try to shoot again without the hood. OTOH, the A7R is tending to give slightly better results in terms of resolution with many of these lenses, because it is possible to critical focus more easily. In general I would prefer to use the Leica M Macro Elmar F4 90mm because it behaves very nicely on the A7R and is a darned sight lighter and easier to hold!
I'm willing to bet it's the adaptor. I had the same experience with my Voigtländer F-Adapter. I didn't see even a trace of vignetting until I used a Leica-R telephoto lens with deeply recessed rear element. Then the vignetting was very obvious. What do you see if you try the MP100 at MFD? My guess is that the vignetting will become much more pronounced, and that the hood won't affect the outcome at all...

tashley

Subscriber Member

Ahhh! I will try it in a day or two - I have a busy day with other lenses tomorrow!

V

Vivek

Hopefully, without that "world's first adapter" . :D

Tim, If it won't let lenses reach infinity and vignettes, is it worth the bother?

Michiel Schierbeek

Today I went out with some Canon FD wides. Here's the 20mm one. No distortion and corner correction or FF plugin. I have no Lightroom or ACR at the moment. Everything is done with the Sony software. I miss some tools though!
Do I need another lens in the 20/21mm range?

V

Vivek

Looking good, Michiel!

After a first look, the first thought that came to my mind was, "empty streets" again. Then I see the title. :) :thumbup:

Status
Not open for further replies.