The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Fun With Sony Cameras

Status
Not open for further replies.

MikalWGrass

re: Fun With Sony _____

Three photos from a recent Hip Hop Kidz event in Key Biscayne. Shot with the Sony a900 and a 35/2 Minolta lens. These shots are not cropped or toned; the lighting is as it was. Could really use a camera body with fast AF and higher decent iso. These kids move quickly so it would behoove me to get another Sony body of some sort.

I was not in the front row for these pics so in many of the shots someone's head was between my camera and the dancers.

kbk17 by MikalWGrass, on Flickr

kbk18 by MikalWGrass, on Flickr

kbk19 by MikalWGrass, on Flickr

Taylor Sherman

Re: Fun with the A7/7R

Taylor
Did you crop any of your images? I see you got the cron 28/2 to work just fine as well as the 21. Is that the 21 SEM or another model?
The only one cropped is the 4x5 format pic taken with the Macro-Elmarit 60.

The 28 and 21 definitely do have edge/corner smearing. I think they might be about the same at equal apertures, I see it more with the 28 because it's worse at f/2.

The 28 needs color correction at wider apertures too, I have a profile for it at f/2 currently. At f/5.6 it doesn't need anything.

I haven't really done "testing" yet, just been taking pictures. I'm not sure yet what my outlook for the 28/2 is.

I'm considering swapping (CV35/1.2 + LM28/2 + LR35/2) for the 35 Lux FLE. But I like 28mm quite a bit so I'm not sure.

ashwinrao1

Hi Retow, I will definitely have to try that combo, as I have the Nikkor 10.5 cm f/2.5 LTM, which I believe has a similar sonnar optical formula.

ashwinrao1

Enjoying my A7...heavy handed low light, ISO 2500- 6400 processing with VSCO. All 50 Lux asph or 35 FLE...both work admirably on the A7 for this type of work. Colors of the LED sight lit wall kept changing from blue, to red, to yellow, to green, etc....making for fun painterly tones. Jenn tolerated my camera in exchange for a tasty sushi dinner lol:

philber

Please let us know your findings! In the meantime, here another datapoint to consider: I can fit the A7R, a Nikon 2.8/20D, a C/Y 2.8/28 and 2.8/85, a Leica-R 2.8/35 and 2/50, the required adapter, spare batteries and a flash plus other accessories comfortably into a Think Tank Retrospective 5 shoulder bag (a small bag by any standard).
Ron, I use a Billingham bag into which I stuff one camera and two extra lenses. It ca lso accomodate a pad and an iPad or ultrabook and a tripod. And I go with it anywhere, including all my client meetings, because it doesn't scream "camera bag", so it is neither a temptation for bad guys nor a distraction from professional activities. Thus my preference for small size cameras and lenses.

tashley

Subscriber Member
A7/7R with Nikon 24mm PC-E and MTF adaptor

There will certainly be a lot of work to do in order to work out how what movements are possible before vignetting cuts in, and what colour shading effects are problematic with various configurations. Also, this lens is recently back from a CLA and seems to be dodgy on one side in a way that it wasn't before. SO I need to bottom this all out.

But in the meantime, movements on the go are FUN because even handheld you can use the excellent EVF live view to get your Scheimpflug right. And it is also excellent for all sorts of weird and cliched effects:

No movements:

Lots of swing:

Lots of rise and swing:

Plenty of tilt:

Swing, rise, shake rattle and roll..

W.Utsch

We had birds in the thread above, here is an other one (Lake Lugano, Switzerland):

and here is the guy, a cormorant, at 100%

scho

A few miscellaneous lens tests with the A7R. All with Fotodiox adapters.

Canon FD 24mm f/2, f/5.6

The EF lenses below were both pre-set to f/8 on a Canon body before using with the A7R.

Canon EF 20mm f/2.8

Canon EF 100mm f/2.8 Macro

100% crop from above

scho

Two more with the Canon FD 50mm f/1.2L, A7R, Fotodiox adapter.

At f1.4, focus on interior of top blossom

At f/5.6, focus on squirrel in tree, click for larger view

cunim

Manasie Akpaliapik, owl, 1988
A7r, Apo-Summicron 90 asph f2.5, vignetting is intentional
I continue to experiment with using the A7r/natural light for images which I would normally make with MF/studio lights. Does it work? Kind of in that I can make images much more easily. The IQ is not up to MF standards, but it is good enough to be pleasing.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.