The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Fun With Sony Cameras

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ron Pfister

Re: Fun with the A7/7R

I always turn the camera off rather than letting it go to sleep. This saves battery power. Power-up is almost instantaneous, unless you have just turned it off, in which case it takes 3-4 seconds to become usable.

V

Vivek

How are you all finding the wake from sleep times on either camera? That's something Michael Reichman pointed to as an issue. I'm asking as a street shooter, for whom this would be a concern. He said it wakes faster from off than from sleep. Thanks.

John
Hi John, It is not an issue for me and it will not be an issue for you! :)

From NEX-7/6 use, I habitually caress the the shutter trigger (it is possible to condition one's mind and finger) so the camera never sleeps unless it is turned off. I always carry extra batteries. The camera/batteries are there to be used and not for some conservation.

Ron Pfister

Alright, your highness, I will kindly shut up…

Edit: but before I do, I'd like to make the point that the camera will be ready to shoot after turning it on before you're done flipping-out the rear LCD or raising it to your eye. It's really that fast. And you can press the shutter before you've even turned the camera on, and it will fire as soon as it's ready. :)

Last edited:

GrahamB

Battery efficiency

I always turn the camera off rather than letting it go to sleep. This saves battery power. Power-up is almost instantaneous, unless you have just turned it off, in which case it takes 3-4 seconds to become usable.
Allowing the camera to sleep should theoretically provide the most efficient power use. When one turns the camera on, additional power is consumed "booting" the system, the sensor is shaken every turn-off. I've left my a7r camera on, in airplane mode, with eyestart and remote disabled, overnight. 12 hours later, the camera reports 100% battery charge.

As far as efficiency, make your own test with your flash card and settings. Shoot a number of images over the course of a day, shutting the camera off between use. The next shoot, allow the camera to sleep.

Using Sandisk Extreme Pro (95 MB/s 64GB) cards, my EVF awakens from sleep (with a half-press of the shutter button) in under 2 seconds.

Graham

Ron Pfister

Good point regarding booting Graham, and I'm surprised that battery capacity still showed 100% after a 12 hours! I don't think that would be the case even if it was turned off, since Sony CSCs are notorious battery drainers. Got to try that! On the other hand, I definitely don't mind a frequently shaken sensor...

V

Vivek

Turning the camera off and starting it back up is not an option for street shots.

Untitled by Vivek Iyer, on Flickr
Sony A7R, Revuenon 50/1.4, f/1.4, The Hague

bcm

Snow in Australia on a 41 degree day. They'd mounted foam machines at either end of a laneway. Was a bit of fun. A7R + ZM50 Planar

Last edited:

shtarka1

It's been awhile since i've been here! Such impressive images!!! My First outing with the A7R Novo adapter & 50 Lux asph..

btw, i bought the Battery Grip & it feels very good in my hands & balances everything out well! Hope Everyone is Well!

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.