The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Fun With Sony Cameras

Status
Not open for further replies.

Michiel Schierbeek

Re: Fun with the A7/7R

Another one from that building.

My, just serviced, Leica Elmarit 90/2.8 has a huge flare problem in artificial light. I am going to cover up all the metal parts on the back of the lens and see if that helps. (Thanks Vivek for the tip :thumbup:)

Had to move the composition around a lot to get least flare.

V

Vivek

I would strongly suggest to anyone to avoid the use of a sharpie (based on a few years of experience). They all, eventually, end up on the camera's sensor, difficult to clean as the bits dissolve in any wet cleaning agent! These marker inks do not stick to metal well and flake off.

Ron Pfister

Vivek, this is a paint pen, nothing like a sharpie.

A quick update after a PM conversation with Vivek:

I agree that it will flake in areas where there is mechanical wear, but as Vivek pointed out, the same is true with 'proper' paint, even if primer is used. My experience is the same, which is why I started using this pen. The paint of this pen is just as good, and it is *much* easier to apply (and the painted surfaces look terrific, to boot).

Last edited:

Sort of the same shot as my #1156 post.
Different light, different colours, different 35mm lens and on a tripod. A little sharper because of the tripod but not as much as i would like, but that temporarely bycycle storehouse, I was standing on, is very shaky by itself.
So not a very scientific test, not my strongest point.
A most interesting and telling "real life" comparison, first and foremost regarding the used lenses (though apparently not intended in the first instance). So notwithstanding, thanks for the effort and sharing the optical result, since it may help my own decision-making.

Michiel Schierbeek

I would strongly suggest to anyone to avoid the use of a sharpie (based on a few years of experience). They all, eventually, end up on the camera's sensor, difficult to clean as the bits dissolve in any wet cleaning agent! These marker inks do not stick to metal well and flake off.
I have thin black cardboard and I will cut a ring out of it.

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor

Love to see a head shot wide open with the 55mm. I want to see the falloff.

It looks dang good in that car shot

Vulture

New to the Sony mirrorless, was wondering if anyone has seen the Leitz Super Angulon-R 21mm f3.4 used on the A7/R? I guess the question regards clearance of the rear element as well as the IQ. I believe it always had severe falloff at the corners.
Also, has anyone had experience with multi stacked adapters. I've been into adapters for most of my photographic life so I have a Nikon to Miranda adapter and a Miranda to LSM adapter. These seem well made and was wondering if these might work better with a Leica to E adapter than the less expensive Nikon to E adapters? Thanks. Great work on this thread BTW

W.Utsch

Hope this is what you are asking for, Guy:

A very good friend, he is the Chef of the Heidelberg Castle Restaurants.​

This was the first shot i really had problems with the AF. The light was pretty dim and his face gave the AF no contrast. The focus point is on the right (wrong??) eye.

To add some words to AF: In this scene i would have had problems to focus with almost any system i had or still use. Specially the praised RF would have been very problematic here. You need light and contrast for the RF as well and then you have to recompose with the lost of the focus plane wide open.

Ron Pfister

Michiel, are you still working with Sony IDC? If so, how well are you able to maximize DR (i.e. shadow and highlight control)?

Michiel Schierbeek

Michiel, are you still working with Sony IDC? If so, how well are you able to maximize DR (i.e. shadow and highlight control)?
No, my problems with Adobe are solved and I am back at ACR. IDC is so slow, especially if you post (to) many pics. Shadow and highlight control are good, altough it has a little complicated interface. It is a very basic program.
There are so many other things it can't do like: a quick horizontal/vertical, leveling and rotate correction.
What I missed most is the brush and graduation filter.

I have been using a DxO Optics Pro 9 trial for some time as well. It supports the latest Sony's
Very well made but is also missing a lot. If you have a lot of modern AF lenses, which I don't, it is really great whith all those lens profiles for correction.
It is a little ackward to use but I guess it is also a question to get used to it.

I am also waiting for RAW therapee to support the A7r because I want to look into that as well. There will be a time, probably sooner then later that Adobe forces you to take a subscription to the cloud. I want to be prepared because I don't want to do that.
There is a cheap Lightroom/PS subscription but I don't want LR. I just trew it off my computer.

I also used Gimp for a while to do the framing. Has a good layer system build in and can do it as well as PS, I mean dropshadow etc.. But I don't know how to make an action off it in Gymp, so it is slower. Also then I would miss my plug- ins, so I am sort of hooked on PS still.
But for free Gimp is quiet a program.

Last edited:

Ron Pfister

Many thanks for your feedback, Michiel! I'm with you regarding Adobe CC subscriptions. I'm sticking with LR5 and CS6 for now. According to recent statements by Adobe, the former should remain available as a stand-alone product for the foreseeable future, and they have promised ACR updates for CS6 likewise.

If you haven't yet, you may want to take a look at Photo Ninja by PictureCode. A very capable RAW converter. It's my go-to when LR fails. But it doesn't support the A7R yet (unless you convert to DNG first)…

Edit: I just contacted PictureCode about A7/A7R support. Will report here when I hear back from them.

Last edited:

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor

Hope this is what you are asking for, Guy:

A very good friend, he is the Chef of the Heidelberg Castle Restaurants.​

This was the first shot i really had problems with the AF. The light was pretty dim and his face gave the AF no contrast. The focus point is on the right (wrong??) eye.

To add some words to AF: In this scene i would have had problems to focus with almost any system i had or still use. Specially the praised RF would have been very problematic here. You need light and contrast for the RF as well and then you have to recompose with the lost of the focus plane wide open.

Very nice look to it. I like the falloff a lot

W.Utsch

Thats my newest baby on board: Could not resist and bought the Zeiss 18/3.5 ZE.

Can still return it, but my first impressions are very encouraging.

It looks and handles very good on the 7. For me with the Metabones adapter it is not to big (well its on the limit but not over it like my 16-35 2.8 L) , though it is quite heavy (ca 500g lens only, build like a tank) its still OK, a little bit of mass is good for the 7.

Image quality is very superb in the center, very good to the corners, no problems with smearing or color shift, vignetting as expected. There is absolutely no need for corrections with flat field plugin.
The only problem with that lens, i can see so far, is Ca's. Strong to very strong in the outer areas but they are removed completely and easy in LR.
Seems to be a keeper. More tests to come!

First examples:

Part of my office:

Ps: There is a small problem with the Zeiss and the Metabones.
The adapter is not working in its (default) "Green Mode". You have to use the advanced mode i.e. mount the adapter with the cam on and push the button on the adapter while mounting. Then it works perfect.

Status
Not open for further replies.