The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Fun With Sony Cameras

Status
Not open for further replies.

m_driscoll

Re: Fun with the A7/7R

Hermann: Thanks. I been looking at your great architectural photos.

Jono: It was the only Sony FE lens that I had until last Friday. I'm not complaining, it was a great lens to have on the trip. Very versatile and good IQ at both ends (IMHO). My only issue would be with the f/3.5 for night shooting. The sensor and the OSS helps that, somewhat. I'd get it, even if it wasn't the "kit" lens. However, I still have the Zeiss 24-70 on order.

A few more at the Shard. The last one is my wife at the open top viewing level. A7 with Sony 28-70mm.

Cheers, Matt

jonoslack

Jono: It was the only Sony FE lens that I had until last Friday. I'm not complaining, it was a great lens to have on the trip. Very versatile and good IQ at both ends (IMHO). My only issue would be with the f/3.5 for night shooting. The sensor and the OSS helps that, somewhat. I'd get it, even if it wasn't the "kit" lens. However, I still have the Zeiss 24-70 on order
Cheers, Matt
Hi Matt
Thanks for that. Unlike some around here I like zooms for casual shooting, that zoom does look decent. I've got plenty of alternatives for night shooting (even an old Sony f1.4 50 which never got sold.

That top platform on the Shard looks scary!

m_driscoll

Hi Matt
Thanks for that. Unlike some around here I like zooms for casual shooting, that zoom does look decent. I've got plenty of alternatives for night shooting (even an old Sony f1.4 50 which never got sold.

That top platform on the Shard looks scary!
Jono: I'm partial to a good zoom at times, also. It was blowing a bit at the top of the Shard! Fun experience, though.

Cheers, Matt

iiiNelson

Nice shots Matt. I suspected that the kit zoom would be decent for the price. You're proving me to be correct in that preliminary judgement. I've been debating the ZFE 24-70 and I may just end up getting rid of my 70-200/2.8 for the E-mount 70-200/4 when it comes out. I really don't want to mess with adapters where I can afford not to.

Amin

Based on some of the theses out there I thought the Leica lens behaves like a coke bottle on the A7R. :rolleyes:

Nice one Amin! :)
Thanks, Vivek! I've been pleasantly surprised not only by how well all the Leica lenses seem to perform on the A7R but also by how easy it is to manually focus fast lenses wide open on the A7R even without peaking or magnification. There's a little shimmer (?aliasing) - similar to peaking but more subtle and to me more accurate - that shows where the focus lies.

wuffstuff

I have had the A7r a couple of hours now have been out testing my lenses.

The Zeiss Biogon ZM 35/2 shows really poor purple corners. Strangely, the wider Zeiss Biogon ZM 25/2.8 is clear edge to edge and very sharp. The images are magnificent from this lens.

At the same time I tested the Leica 50mm Lux ASPH and this works superbly on my cheapo Fotodiox adapter. No edge smearing across the F range from 1.4 to 16. Very nice lens for the A7r.

The 90 Elmarit-M is absolutely superb, Sharp from edge to edge and no smearing.

Shame about the Zeiss 35, but 3 out of 4 ain't bad.

Amin

I have had the A7r a couple of hours now have been out testing my lenses.

The Zeiss Biogon ZM 35/2 shows really poor purple corners. Strangely, the wider Zeiss Biogon ZM 25/2.8 is clear edge to edge and very sharp. The images are magnificent from this lens.

At the same time I tested the Leica 50mm Lux ASPH and this works superbly on my cheapo Fotodiox adapter. No edge smearing across the F range from 1.4 to 16. Very nice lens for the A7r.

The 90 Elmarit-M is absolutely superb, Sharp from edge to edge and no smearing.

Shame about the Zeiss 35, but 3 out of 4 ain't bad.
Thanks for those comments. I was thinking about buying back the ZM 2/35 Biogon, and you give me pause. Are the corners poor only because they are purple or also because of smearing? I agree that the 50mm Summilux M ASPH is very nice on this camera.

wuffstuff

Thanks for those comments. I was thinking about buying back the ZM 2/35 Biogon, and you give me pause. Are the corners poor only because they are purple or also because of smearing? I agree that the 50mm Summilux M ASPH is very nice on this camera.
Amin. The edges are sharp, without smearing, but strongly coloured. I'll be selling mine as I don't have the inclination to use Cornerfix or to use other methods.

V

Vivek

Amin. The edges are sharp, without smearing, but strongly coloured. I'll be selling mine as I don't have the inclination to use Cornerfix or to use other methods.
Before you put it for sale, consider the Sony app for such corrections in the camera (Sony PlayMemories ? discover new ways to enhance and enjoy photos and videos) that allows you use do all the stuff without cornerfix. You are going to avail of that app anyway. Give it a try.

V

Vivek

That one looks much more controlled (exposure), Michiel. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.