The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Fun With Sony Cameras

Status
Not open for further replies.
V

Vivek

Re: Fun with the A7/7R

Handheld at 1/15s was not a problem after that in that weather.

Untitled by Vivek Iyer, on Flickr
Sony A7R, M Rokkor 40/2, f/2.8, 1/15s, ISO3200

Michiel Schierbeek

Nice series, Vivek! With this kind of weather! :thumbs:
Of course, i like that empty street as well! Was it handheld?
Next time you come to an event In Amsterdam, let me know!

This time I was not in town anyway :)

V

Vivek

Thanks, Michiel. :) Will do. :)

Yesterday was a meeting with an old friend of my wife (oddly, her home base is close to where we live now but she is an Amsterdam resident now).

There were lots of volunteers posted along the long route for the light festival.

Like this girl, in this weather.

Untitled by Vivek Iyer, on Flickr
Sony A7R, M Rokkor 40/2

J

JohnW

John: A perfect start with your new camera. Knowing your photographic preferences meanwhile quite a bit I'm pretty sure, you'll really like it after getting used to the different but - especially in comparison to the NEX - (IMHO) quite decent handling.

PS: Particularly hope you'll like the tonal transition for your B&Ws. And again, I'm quite sure, you will (though my reference for these assumptions is the A7R, that I use since a few weeks - but, I suppose, both versions aren't different in that regard).
Thanks for your kind words, Hermann. Honestly, I had resolved to not buy another camera with an AA filter, but was a bit scared off of the a7R by all the talk of optimum shooting requirements and shutter lag. I tend to shoot fast and loose. But I expect if I don't try it, I will always be wondering, what if? I'm looking for a system I can keep for many years, so I may try this for a week or so and then try the R version.

John

MikeMcC

Thanks to everyone who responded to my post. It looks promising for 3 out of 5 of these lenses which would work for me.

Mike

J

JohnW

Once again, trapped indoors by a -3°F temperature. Tomorrow is supposed to be a balmy 28°, so I'll likely venture out with the new A7.

How a digital camera handles the upper gray tonal range is very important to my way of shooting, and I like what I'm seeing from the A7 so far.

John

Once again, trapped indoors by a -3°F temperature. Tomorrow is supposed to be a balmy 28°, so I'll likely venture out with the new A7.

How a digital camera handles the upper gray tonal range is very important to my way of shooting, and I like what I'm seeing from the A7 so far.

John
John: Again a very nice and calm picture.

And glad to hear, that my assumption regarding the tonal transition in B&W wasn't that wrong after all and you're pleased so far.

BTW: The portraiture you posted yesterday conveys an intuitive association with "The Picture of Dorian Gray" to me (but, please, don't tell him), and I prize Oscar Wilde's work highly. It blends in perfectly with the other outstanding portraitures you've compiled in your gallery.

Last edited:

Ron Pfister

I'd like to echo Werner's sentiment and thank you all for making this such a lively and helpful community! And most of all, a big thank you to the GetDPI-team for providing this corner of the 'net for us to use. Warm wishes and a Merry Christmas to all of you!

Gbealnz

Yes, I agree, a big thank you from me too.
It's nice to be able to reach out for info, or just pass the time of day with all the many and varied members here, especially when you are this far away.
A soggy but warmish Christmas Day here, lunch soon.
Gary

J

JohnW

A nice mode to be in, Michiel. Really like your second one.

Could someone please tell me when, with an EFC, the image is actually captured. I read that it's before you actually hear the shutter sound. Is that true? This long shutter sound and EVF lag is a little unsettling compared to the Nex 7 that I'm used to. Thanks.

John

Michiel Schierbeek

John, I think first it closes and after that it opens, takes the exposure, and closes and then it opens to live view again. If I am wrong please someone correct me.

J

JohnW

John, I think first it closes and after that it opens, takes the exposure, and closes and then it opens to live view again. If I am wrong please someone correct me.
Thanks, Michiel. Don't you find the lag, long release, and write delay somewhat unsettling compared to your Nex 7? I sure do.

John

Taylor Sherman

That's without EFCS. With it, I believe it

1. resets the sensor
2. exposure
3. shutter closes to stop exposure
4. reads sensor
5. open shutter

Status
Not open for further replies.