The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Fun With Sony Cameras

Status
Not open for further replies.

Amin

Re: Fun with the A7/7R

A lot of great M-Rokkor 40mm shots in this thread. Makes me wonder how another favorite 40mm of mine would work, the Olympus OM 40/2.

benroy

Subscriber Member

A7 with focus peaking has rejuvenated my manual focusing...trotting out my Zeiss/Contax beauties...here: the 85/1.4 Planar. Worked a stack of old rotting fences in my backyard...low light, exposures around F2.8 - 4 @400th. Sharp and contrasty, even in the dull light...just what you would expect from a Zeiss lens.

Last edited:

Cindy Flood

Super Moderator

I went for a walk down to the London Bridge tonight with A7r, LA-E4, Minolta 35 f/2 AF.

Up on the bridge and leaning against the vibrating bridge as traffic passed by

Last edited:

Ben Rubinstein

My son having an afternoon nap in my bed about 5 minutes ago. Super Takumar @ f1.4 doing what it does best.

Did some tests today with the lens on my A7r with tripod. No 50 year old lens with scratches on the back element deserves to be that ridiculously sharp at f5.6-11. Corners not bad either.

Rawfa

Testing the 28-70mm kit lens. I took my bike for a ride and just snapped away with one hand in full auto.

V

Vivek

Did some tests today with the lens on my A7r with tripod. No 50 year old lens with scratches on the back element deserves to be that ridiculously sharp at f5.6-11. Corners not bad either.
My "mint" sample of Revuenon 50/1.4 is not even known as a butter knife but is a Katana on the A7R. It is the sensor doing its magic. :)

Rawfa

Thanks, Vivek. That flock of birds on the top was just following me around and I was just hopping I could catch them in the right place :)

jonoslack

Thanks, Vivek. That flock of birds on the top was just following me around and I was just hopping I could catch them in the right place :)
Great shots Rafael
What's your opinion of the kit zoom? From what I've seen it looks rather good.

All the best

Rawfa

Thanks, Jono.

My first impression is that it's an above average kit zoom that performs well in well lit situations. I've tested it very very quickly in low light and there were some hit & miss, hunting around (as the AF is contrast + phase detection based I think this is to be expected).

For people who shoot video the IS is very very cool. I've filmed hand held walking around the house and it looks very good (if you use a small tripod or a monopod to improvise physical stabilization you can get surprisingly good results).

My only beef with the zoom is that it's freaking massive...as I'm guessing most FF e-mount lenses will be. I really love the A7, but if the lens roadmap doesn't improve radically I'm thinking I'll probably go back to APS-C e-mount (I'm eager to see what the NEX7 replacement will be) and just use a speedbooster when I really need FF.

jonoslack

Thanks, Jono.

My first impression is that it's an above average kit zoom that performs well in well lit situations. I've tested it very very quickly in low light and there were some hit & miss, hunting around (as the AF is contrast + phase detection based I think this is to be expected).

For people who shoot video the IS is very very cool. I've filmed hand held walking around the house and it looks very good (if you use a small tripod or a monopod to improvise physical stabilization you can get surprisingly good results).

My only beef with the zoom is that it's freaking massive...as I'm guessing most FF e-mount lenses will be. I really love the A7, but if the lens roadmap doesn't improve radically I'm thinking I'll probably go back to APS-C e-mount (I'm eager to see what the NEX7 replacement will be) and just use a speedbooster when I really need FF.
Thank you - I played with it briefly, and that seems to bear out my feelings.
I think the size issue is unavoidable - it ought to be possible to make good quality small FF AF lenses, but I don't think one exists! (at least, only with screwdriver focusing ).

anGy

Not sure it is appropriate to post this in a 'fun with…' post :watch:
Xmas for the driver won't be that good this year...

V

Vivek

The 3rd one is picture, perfection! Nice one, Michiel! All of your shots with the Rokkor 58/1.2 are.

Status
Not open for further replies.